BOTA membership

wandking

Sorry I misunderstood your earlier entries. What did you mean by these entries? "I have no problem with either patience or deliberate pacing & gradual study otherwise I wouldn't have spent 35+ years on the path .....What I DO object to is the deliberate hucksterism" and "I find it very telling that in EVERY correspondence [ even their Xmas card] there is a donation offering envelope."

BTW, to avoid confussion, when Mac said Case was a member of the GD, I feel sure he meant that Dr Case was initiated into the Second Order of the Thoth-Hermes Temple of the Golden Dawn (Alpha et Omega) on May 16, 1920, while in New York, not the original British order that influenced Waite, Crowley and Mathers, which had disolved well before 1920.

mac22

wandking said:
Sorry I misunderstood your earlier entries. What did you mean by these entries? "I have no problem with either patience or deliberate pacing & gradual study otherwise I wouldn't have spent 35+ years on the path .....What I DO object to is the deliberate hucksterism" and "I find it very telling that in EVERY correspondence [ even their Xmas card] there is a donation offering envelope."

The BOTA organization today seems more interested in your money than your spiritual progress. There is always an offering envelope in everything they send.

BTW, to avoid confussion, when Mac said Case was a member of the GD, I feel sure he meant that Dr Case was initiated into the Second Order of the Thoth-Hermes Temple of the Golden Dawn (Alpha et Omega) on May 16, 1920, while in New York, not the original British order that influenced Waite, Crowley and Mathers, which had disolved well before 1920.

Quite correct. I wasn't confused were you? :). And as long as were looking at facts Case's doctorate was honorary.

MeeWah

During the time I was associated with B.O.T.A., not all of the mailings included a donation envelope. Besides, as one is free to either accept or ignore it, that was never a problem.

Such organizations rely on the goodwill of its membership, just as any organization or society does. Moreover, part of the exercise of putting one's money where one's mouth is.

mac22

MeeWah said:
Such organizations rely on the goodwill of its membership, just as any organization or society does. Moreover, part of the exercise of putting one's money where one's mouth is.

oh I did I moved on over to the Tarot School of NY degree course.....:)

Ruby7

I joined BOTA last year. I only received my first month's worth of lessons and I was disturbed to find requests for a donation enclosed. The lessons were not what I expected. For some reason they didn't send me any more lessons (also didn't charge me) and I left it at that. I get Easter cards and Christmas cards with the request for donation enclosed. The cards are lovely but I still don't understand what BOTA is all about.

Ruby7

mac22

Ruby7 said:
I joined BOTA last year. I only received my first month's worth of lessons and I was disturbed to find requests for a donation enclosed. The lessons were not what I expected. For some reason they didn't send me any more lessons (also didn't charge me) and I left it at that. I get Easter cards and Christmas cards with the request for donation enclosed. The cards are lovely but I still don't understand what BOTA is all about. Ruby7

It's about initiation, spiritual advancement, the tarot & qabalah. I'm in the 3rd month and still have yet to see anything not generally available to the average Tarot student.

jmd

With regards to the Golden Dawn, the one from which Case was expelled was in fact that same one of which Mathers was a founding member and that later initiated (and thus 'influenced') Waite, Crowley... and Case.

The work of the BOTA remains for some a most wonderful structured path, despite there being no content that cannot be found elsewhere.

After all, to be able to work with others walking a similar path (which is not mine, by the way) may be more than its own reward.

mac22

jmd said:
With regards to the Golden Dawn, the one from which Case was expelled was in fact that same one of which Mathers was a founding member and that later initiated (and thus 'influenced') Waite, Crowley... and Case.

The work of the BOTA remains for some a most wonderful structured path, despite there being no content that cannot be found elsewhere.

After all, to be able to work with others walking a similar path (which is not mine, by the way) may be more than its own reward.

Well put!!...:)

wandking

in New York, Case was approached by Michael Whitty, the Praemonstrator of the Thoth-Hermes Temple of the Golden Dawn (Alpha et Omega). Whitty, having heard of Case's extensive knowledge of the Western Mystery Tradition and having read some of his published works, invited Case into the Order. Case naturally accepted the offer, and moved through the Outer Grades quickly. He was initiated into the Second Order on May 16, 1920. Case was never a member of the English order bearing a designation of The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn Rosae Rubae et Aureae Crucis, Temple of Isis-Urania, Lodge Number 3, which was founded by Mathers. Waite, Crowley and others held membership in that British order, not the New York occult group. Case, however, was exposed to Mina Mathers when he joined an offshoot of the original GD, after decline of the English lodge.

jmd

The New York temple held its warrant from the Mathers then living in Paris. Isis-Urania was not the only GD Temple in the UK, and there were others, such as the Paris and the New York one, in existence.

Moina Mather's expulsion of Case was, I was under the impression, one of the better testified dealings of the convoluted but short history of the GD.

Of course, Case's own order has a different version as to what occured (as do, for example, each of the various splinter groups of the un-connected AMORC groups now around in relation to their own 'histories'). Being 'invited' to join the GD was the normal procedure for being initiated into the order - and Case was, in this case, unexceptional.