Pet peeves

gregory

@ gregory - Oh My Goddess! - you mean... you're NOT a guy??? <falls off chair> :joke:
Nope. :angel: I am the granny from hell.

But the only time (apart from this stuff) when it's any kind of issue is when I get PMs from people for whom it is clearly 2 am or something, and they are obviously drunk, and want "a man's POV on my reading, pleashe..." :joke:

It's OK the first time, but when the same person does it several times...

celticnoodle

One thing that makes my eyes roll is when a reader makes big, "spooky" claims about a tarot. For example, on eBay, I once saw an auction and the seller claimed the that the tarot deck was super old, owned by a gypsy or a witch who had died, and her spirit was now attached to the deck. It was full of warnings and disclaimers such as "I can't be responsible for what could happen". It was all very ominous (and laughable).
:laugh:

But I think my biggest pet peeve as a querent is when the reader puts the card down and slams her palm on the table and yells, "You see?". Then she just looks at me very seriously, shaking their head, and says, "You know exactly what to do." :joke: That has happened to me so many times.
:bugeyed: how ridiculous

Clarifiers drive me nuts.

But what gets to me most is when the reader knows they are right, when they actually can't be, and insists on that in the face of everything to the contrary. I recall one where the reader was CERTAIN the sitter would become pregnant. This is REALLY not likely to happen to a 65 year old - but the reader was adamant, even when this was pointed out. It absolutely WAS going to be a LITERAL PREGNANCY (she tried suggesting projects and so on - no, it was BABIES.)

Pressed VERY hard, the reader allowed that it MIGHT mean an adoption - well, no, no chance.
:laugh:

My pet peeve is when customers take EVERYTHING so literal with tarot and live their life to the cards. I have clients who would come to me for a reading about their love life. Then, 6 to 9 mos. later come back and ask again--and then tear that reading apart because it was "nothing like what the reading 6/9 mos. ago said!" :rolleyes:

These customers have made me really hate to do readings on love issues.

I always tell my customers before a reading, that the cards can only give a glimpse of what 'might' be. That nothing is carved in stone, it only gives the customer a possibility of what may be.

Also, I can't stand when customers compare me to other readers they go to. "Well she told me that he is in love with me and we're destined to be together, how come you are telling me that it doesn't look like we'll get back together?"

:rolleyes:

I also really dislike it when tarot readers take on the role of telling you, the PAYING customer what to do. I had a reader yell at me because "I was making my mother very upset and I should be ashamed of myself!" :mad: Really? Do you even 'know' us? Do you know the WHOLE story there? :rolleyes: (this happened when my mother, my sisters and I all went to a tarot card reader and of course, mom went before me. So, I can only imagine what she said to the reader.

Padma

Pet peeve - those who ask a question, then assume their cards are incorrect, because it didn't match up with the next hour or two of their lives or situation. Give things time to play out!

:)

Thoughtful

My pet peeve, and it's only happened once, is when a reader pads out the reading with "l feel that" l feel this" "l'm getting the feeling that...... Its so irritating to hear this before every sentence.
Maybe age is making me cranky :confused: l just want to shout out to them l don't need to keep hearing what you feel, l just want to hear what the cards are telling you.
Am l being unfair here :)

GotH

LOL! I'm one of those readers that says, "The feeling I get from these cards is...." I don't think I do it before every sentence though. :joke:

I honestly don't have any pet peeves! I accept the fact that people are different in how they read and they are doing their best to deliver a message to me. I think I'm too busy trying to focus on what that message is vs how they deliver it.

If I any peeves hit me, I'll be back to post them though!

scorpiogirl

Hhmmm we probably all been guilty of asking the tarot this 'what do I need to know?' but to me that question kind of irks me!!!

Thoughtful

LOL! I'm one of those readers that says, "The feeling I get from these cards is...." I don't think I do it before every sentence though. :joke:[/] QUOTE=

Fair enough that would be acceptable, but l think l had a reader who really was struggling, l persevered with her and just wanted to have the reading wound up soon as possible :)

feynrir

I've been to a "pro" reader who straight-up read the LWB in front of me for the entire damn reading. "Ah, the 5 of Wands can also point to sexual frustration! Have you been feeling that lately??"

It was infuriating to say the least, especially as a reader myself. It was gut-wrenching to pay her afterwards. If it's a friend who's learning that would be fine, but it wasn't worth money, that's for sure.

In general I think LWBs are my pet peeves, haha, so many of them are just useless.

Sulis

Clarifiers drive me nuts.

But what gets to me most is when the reader knows they are right, when they actually can't be, and insists on that in the face of everything to the contrary. I recall one where the reader was CERTAIN the sitter would become pregnant. This is REALLY not likely to happen to a 65 year old - but the reader was adamant, even when this was pointed out. It absolutely WAS going to be a LITERAL PREGNANCY (she tried suggesting projects and so on - no, it was BABIES.)
<<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>
And finally (maybe !) "This card always means that". No it doesn't :)

These things that gregory has said..

Clarifiers - if you don't know what a card means and you're not very experienced with reading tarot then adding another card will just give you another card that puzzles you even more..
There are so many brand new readers that I see doing this with every position in a spread.. I think it's part of the having to have things or know things instantly these days.. Put some effort in, take some time and get to know the cards then you really won't need to 'clarify' something..

Readers who know they are right.
I had a reading from a very well respected reader who was very fond of telling people just how long he'd been reading, how good he was etc.. The Empress showed up in my reading and he said I was pregnant.. I said that was impossible since my husband had had 'the snip'.. He then said that I should make sure that my husband wasn't lying to me about his vasectomy and that I really was pregnant.. My response: I was there during the operation, saw it happen and my husband is not a liar...
Some people are just too arrogant to be tarot readers..

This card always means that...
NO IT DOESN'T - cards have a root meaning but the actual meaning changes depending on the context of the reading.. A card can show up meaning one thing in one reading and ten minutes later it could show up again in another reading and mean something completely different.

Zephyros

People "talking in Tarot-speak," i.e., "Oh, you're such a Queen of Cups" or "I had such an Eight of Swords day."

So very pretentious.

This could also apply to astrology-types who think they know everything about you because of your sign, and define you because of it