Pet peeves

Shade

I definitely have a different style than other readers I am close to and sometimes that is great (for example the two tarot podcasts I do would be boring if my co-hosts read in the same way that I do). But sometimes I find myself getting irked.

Readers who don't attempt to answer the question and just give the querent pushy spiritual advice.

Readers who only ask questions (as Le Fanu mentioned). Sometimes it's handy but sometimes it feels like browbeating.

Readers who get uppity when someone asks for a predictive reading (you don't have to do predictive readings but you can imagine why someone would want one right?).

Readers who use every single word in the English language in a single reading.

Card of the day readings on social media - are you pulling this card for the whole universe? We're all having a Page of Cups day?

Thoughtful

Readers who know they are right.
I had a reading from a very well respected reader who was very fond of telling people just how long he'd been reading, how good he was etc.. The Empress showed up in my reading and he said I was pregnant.. I said that was impossible since my husband had had 'the snip'.. He then said that I should make sure that my husband wasn't lying to me about his vasectomy and that I really was pregnant.. My response: I was there during the operation, saw it happen and my husband is not a liar...Some people are just too arrogant to be tarot readers.

That's wonderful!! l can't stand those arrogant types either ,glad you knocked him down a peg or two.

This card always means that...
NO IT DOESN'T - cards have a root meaning but the actual meaning changes depending on the context of the reading.. A card can show up meaning one thing in one reading and ten minutes later it could show up again in another reading and mean something completely different.

Yes this is so right it will always show up a reader who has just learnt the tarot by the book, by rote. The tarot is bigger and more wonderful than that.

AmethystEyes

:laugh: Thanks everyone! This gave me a good laugh!
I agree on the reversals. ;) And when someone does a say, 10 card reading for me, and 9 out of 10 cards are reversed I just can't help but think that we're readig the spread upside down... LOL!
LOL yes! I've gotten that too thinking the same thing!
But what gets to me most is when the reader knows they are right, when they actually can't be, and insists on that in the face of everything to the contrary. chance.
Yes! When they are saying, sorry thats what the cards say...NO that is what YOU say!
My pet peeve, and it's only happened once, is when a reader pads out the reading with "l feel that" l feel this" "l'm getting the feeling that...... Its so irritating to hear this before every sentence.
Maybe age is making me cranky :confused: l just want to shout out to them l don't need to keep hearing what you feel, l just want to hear what the cards are telling you.
Am l being unfair here :)
:laugh: I do that! Because its all I can say really, I dont know if I am right.
Readers who don't attempt to answer the question and just give the querent pushy spiritual advice.
Yes! Like....did I just open a fortune cookie? That has nothing to do with my question! Could you at least attempt to connect it? :p

Le Fanu

Card of the day readings on social media - are you pulling this card for the whole universe? We're all having a Page of Cups day?
Yes!

I would also add that I can't stand excessively new agey readings. When it's all spiritual advice about being "good" and about how we have to love our inner rainbow and then to be given a feather or something to take away.

AmethystEyes

we have to love our inner rainbow and then to be given a feather or something to take away.

:laugh: I want to keep this and give it to someone in the games thread to see their reaction :joke:

danieljuk

as well as people who just know they are right, people who won't accept they are wrong or take it well. I did a reading I got wrong in the last year and found it quite humiliating but I decided I had to learn from that incident. I have seen people react very badly to this. One person I saw in an argument online said that the spirits told her this reading and it must be true! if the sitter says the reading doesn't fit them, it doesn't fit them! mistakes happen, we all have bad days. How can this be used in our readings in future? I did change my method slightly after my bad reading.

We can never forget our humility and that we are always still learning. The minute we start to get an ego and are beyond learning anything more or things going wrong, it's our downfall!

AmethystEyes

as well as people who just know they are right, people who won't accept they are wrong or take it well. I did a reading I got wrong in the last year and found it quite humiliating but I decided I had to learn from that incident. I have seen people react very badly to this. One person I saw in an argument online said that the spirits told her this reading and it must be true! if the sitter says the reading doesn't fit them, it doesn't fit them! mistakes happen, we all have bad days. How can this be used in our readings in future? I did change my method slightly after my bad reading.

We can never forget our humility and that we are always still learning. The minute we start to get an ego and are beyond learning anything more or things going wrong, it's our downfall!

So true! Our ego should have no part in readings, it can only deter us from the message that is meant to be received.

AmethystEyes

Just thought of one!
When people only look a certain cards as "bad".

Shade

Just thought of one!
When people only look a certain cards as "bad".

Well the converse of that is the person who immediately jumps to the bright side. "Oh the Tower means you will be free of former restraints is all."

Grizabella

I also really dislike it when tarot readers take on the role of telling you, the PAYING customer what to do. I had a reader yell at me because "I was making my mother very upset and I should be ashamed of myself!" :mad: Really? Do you even 'know' us? Do you know the WHOLE story there? :rolleyes: (this happened when my mother, my sisters and I all went to a tarot card reader and of course, mom went before me. So, I can only imagine what she said to the reader.

I needed a laugh and I just about rolled off the bed on this. It sounds like what one of my kids might have said about me being first in line before them with a reader.

For me it is the "this card always means that".

And people expecting a fortune teller. If I could do that I would foretell the lottery numbers instead.

This card means this and that one means that is truly the mark of a novice, but I didn't realize how many Tarot novices there were who read for pay till I checked out some places like youtube.

And no, you wouldn't necessarily predict the lottery numbers. We only are given to know certain things and I don't think lottery numbers are one of them.

I tell fortunes and quite well, thank you. :) But not everyone believes that's what they do or what they should do, and that's also fine. We all have our calling and not everyone's calling is to fortune telling. :)

Clarifiers is a peeve of mine too. I think they've become more popular in our "immediate gratification" society where folks want answers NOW and don't have the time or patience to try to suss out those answers over hours or days.

One thing that's not a peeve so much as a head scratcher is the trend of using 3 cards per position in a spread. A year or two ago, it doesn't seem like folks were doing that, but within the last year or two I've seen a lot more people posting in UTC asking for help with 3 cards from a single position within a reading.

Add me to the clarifier thing. Muddyfier is more like it. But Thirteen seemed to get fed up with us saying that clarifiers don't clarify awhile back and came out in fine form and let us know she does believe they say the same thing in a different way, so I've kind of stepped gingerly around that issue ever since.

I'm scratching my head on that "three from the middle" thing too, Rodney. :p

Yes!

I would also add that I can't stand excessively new agey readings. When it's all spiritual advice about being "good" and about how we have to love our inner rainbow and then to be given a feather or something to take away.

Sooo---I can't give out my cute painted rocks? Darn! I should have gotten this memo about a month ago. (just kidding)

I did a reading I got wrong in the last year and found it quite humiliating but I decided I had to learn from that incident.

>muttering into the neck of my sweater something that sounds like "tantric sex"< Yes, I can strongly empathise with the humiliating part. Geez, that reading I did for celticnoodle when I'd taken medication for a slipped vertebrae in my lower back just about made me hang up my crystal ball.

So true! Our ego should have no part in readings, it can only deter us from the message that is meant to be received.

I wholeheartedly agree! Don't worry if you're doing it "right" or what your sitter thinks of you. Just get into reading mode and do your sincere best to filter out the message the cards are giving you without including your own judgments or opinions.

Well the converse of that is the person who immediately jumps to the bright side. "Oh the Tower means you will be free of former restraints is all."

Or the Tower that always means a giant orgasm. I mean, really! I even started seeing that in that card after I read that one and I haven't had sex since 1990. (No, I don't do that but I do wear glasses.) My hormones all packed up and left to find other people who would enjoy them. Giant orgasm? Ummm---I don't have the energy. Leave me to my beading and reading Tarot.

My two main peeves are those who insist they don't read about third parties and they don't foretell the future. Yes you do---nobody lives in a vacuum. And yes you do---everything but this present moment is either past or future. But to each his own. Peace! :D