Pet peeves

Shade

I guess I got a couple of peeves, too. One is when I see a reader who looks down their nose at other readers who don't read the same way she does. The kind of reader who pooh-poohs others for using reversals, for example, or not using reversals. Or using books, or not using books. Or who doesn't use their left hand to cut the deck. The kind of person who looks at others with disdain for doing things differently. I don't come across this often, fortunately, but it sure is obnoxious.

I think the distinction here is these are pet peeves. They are things that might irk but we acknowledge is one way of doing things. We're never going to say to a person "Don't use reversals" we're going to just talk about them behind their back on here.

I am with you on the readers who use their deck as a chance to just talk about big cosmic ideas and not relate to the question at hand - the Thoth does seem to have cornered the market on this.

AmethystEyes

I think the distinction here is these are pet peeves. They are things that might irk but we acknowledge is one way of doing things. We're never going to say to a person "Don't use reversals" we're going to just talk about them behind their back on here.
I agree, its like bitching about your friends and family and the things they do to annoy you, doesnt mean you like/love them any less :D
I am with you on the readers who use their deck as a chance to just talk about big cosmic ideas and not relate to the question at hand - the Thoth does seem to have cornered the market on this.

Is it odd that this Thoth talk has got me interested in it now? :laugh:

Annabelle

My biggest pet peeve is readers who pull clarifiers as a matter of habit. It just makes things confusing and its entirely unnecessary.

Another pet peeve of mine is readers who zero in on the symbols on the cards, and seem to "read" nothing else. I had a friend once who was really into astrology. She would zoom right in on astrological symbols on the cards and what those meant and exclude almost everything else -- it didn't feel like tarot reading to me. I have no issue with readers who use other systems (kabbala, astrology, numerology) to inform and add to their tarot readings, but when the focus strays away from the actual images on the actual cards on the table, I get very frustrated.

starlightexp

I'm adoring this thread lol. It's put a smile on my face. For ME my pet peeve is when the reader is ALWAYS pointing out the facial expression on the card as the way to point out what the card means. There is a ton more to the meaning of a card then the three of four lines that the artist used for the face yet there are readings I have had where it's
All about that face
bout the face no question

"Look at what [ insert card here ]'s face is doing. They look upset, angry, happy..."

That to me says the reader would much rather be reading people then cards

starlightexp

For me it is the "this card always means that".

And people expecting a fortune teller. If I could do that I would foretell the lottery numbers instead.

I peed a little lol this is a peeve of mine as well

Sirena84

Pet peeve - those who ask a question, then assume their cards are incorrect, because it didn't match up with the next hour or two of their lives or situation. Give things time to play out!

:)

couldn't agree more there Padma.. spot on... :)

Sirena84

This card always means that...
NO IT DOESN'T - cards have a root meaning but the actual meaning changes depending on the context of the reading.. A card can show up meaning one thing in one reading and ten minutes later it could show up again in another reading and mean something completely different.

I wish there was a like button here on AT.. I couldn't agree more..

Sirena84

I would say my pet peeves are,

1. readers who claim to know what is going on in your personal life better than you..

2. readers who are forceful and tell you this is how it should be.. I am a great believer that tarot is a tool for guidance and advice and nothing is set in stone.. and we are creators..

3. as a reader... I don't like sitters who ask you for a reading and then disagree with the way you have seen the cards because its not how they would read that combo, or is away from the norm.. for example I read a lot with intuition and feelings but also with elements and I follow very old system of Golden Dawn for elemental dignities.. don't always 100% stick with elements if my intuition disagrees.. but the sitter argues with you that its not what the cards mean normally..

Laura Borealis

This is just me, but I tend to eyeroll (privately) when people wig out about others touching their cards. One casual finger-brush is apparently enough to upset the balance of energies and require a full cleansing. It's like they think everyone is covered in psychic germs or something. Rude.

On the other end of the spectrum are those who feel free to do anything with your deck without asking. This only happened once, but I had a roommate "anoint" my deck with some foul-smelling oil, because she had just done her own and had some extra oil on her hands. My deck is not your hand towel, missy! :mad: :laugh:

pink daliha

Have to agree with this one. Was once "cursed" by a reader, because I told him his advice was bad! (he told me I *must* return to my abusive husband, no choice!) (I didn't, of course!) Not cool to curse people. Or to tell them to go back to a realllly bad marriage! :bugeyed: His curse did not work, either. :)

You mean didn't work on YOU, Padma. It's not nice to curse people, stuff like that comes around. I wouldn't want to be that guy...

Also agree with Metafizzypop and Annabelle- Correspondences are nice, but what are they adding to/helping with the interpretation of the reading?