Pet peeves

MaryHeather

Something else that's kind of a pet peeve... overly staged photos of cards and spreads on social media. When someone finds out that I've studied tarot since I was a teen, one of the first questions I'm met with (after the Satanic crap) is do I have an altar like they've seen on Pintrest, tumblr, Instagram, etc.

No. Those photos are completely staged. First, no cat hair. Second, there's no room to work when your desk is covered with candles, bowls, statues, dishes, rocks, and everything short of bobble headed lawn gnomes.

So, yes, I suppose that is a pet peeve.

AmethystEyes

I'm adoring this thread lol. It's put a smile on my face. For ME my pet peeve is when the reader is ALWAYS pointing out the facial expression on the card as the way to point out what the card means. There is a ton more to the meaning of a card then the three of four lines that the artist used for the face yet there are readings I have had where it's
All about that face
bout the face no question

"Look at what [ insert card here ]'s face is doing. They look upset, angry, happy..."

That to me says the reader would much rather be reading people then cards
I am guilty of doing this. Although its only sometimes, its when I notice their facial expression, when it stands out to me. Not, flip the cards ok look at the faces.
This is just me, but I tend to eyeroll (privately) when people wig out about others touching their cards. One casual finger-brush is apparently enough to upset the balance of energies and require a full cleansing. It's like they think everyone is covered in psychic germs or something. Rude.
When I first started I was told to cleanse my cards, so after every reading I would do a little thing. It got annoying and I got over it and everything is fine :laugh:

spinnachie

This is just me, but I tend to eyeroll (privately) when people wig out about others touching their cards. One casual finger-brush is apparently enough to upset the balance of energies and require a full cleansing. It's like they think everyone is covered in psychic germs or something. Rude.

On the other end of the spectrum are those who feel free to do anything with your deck without asking. This only happened once, but I had a roommate "anoint" my deck with some foul-smelling oil, because she had just done her own and had some extra oil on her hands. My deck is not your hand towel, missy! :mad: :laugh:

Im guilty of not allowing others to touch my cards, unless I am giving them a reading then I prefer it if they shuffle. However my reason isn't because it "upsets the balance of the energies" its more because if they "accidentally" spill a beverage or damage them, or lose them I will be extremely pissed off ;)

I don't really have any peeve's about readers because I think that people should read how they are comfortable, however it is annoying when the reader acts like they have magical powers, and also when they say things like "oh I see you have been cursed, but not to worry, I can help rid you of this curse so you can live the life you should live by purchasing this ridiculously overpriced ornament, only $500 and you will be curse free for the next year"

I do have a few peeves about reading for friends. When I first started learning Tarot, I would offer my friends free readings in exchange for feedback, I would encourage everyone before every reading to be open with me on how accurate they felt the reading was as well as my delivery, and all I would get back after doing a 30 min reading was "it was good"...UGH!!!!! do I seriously have to PULL out feedback, that's not cool.

Another peeve on that note is that one friend that comes to you for EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM in his or her life and wants you to drop everything you're doing to do a reading to see if he/she is making the right choice.

Citrin

Something else that's kind of a pet peeve... overly staged photos of cards and spreads on social media. When someone finds out that I've studied tarot since I was a teen, one of the first questions I'm met with (after the Satanic crap) is do I have an altar like they've seen on Pintrest, tumblr, Instagram, etc.

No. Those photos are completely staged. First, no cat hair. Second, there's no room to work when your desk is covered with candles, bowls, statues, dishes, rocks, and everything short of bobble headed lawn gnomes.

So, yes, I suppose that is a pet peeve.

OMG I honestly just laughed out loud! That is awesome. :p And I completely agree... I sometimes see pics on instagram with "my morning reading" and similar and there's like a complex 12 card spread with at least 50 different crystals placed in some complicated pattern around it. It's like, whoa how does one have that much time on a Tuesday morning damn it?! :eek:

DownUnderNZer

Mine would be a crap reader no matter what her/his craft is or chosen poison.

Like those that have no real connection, rapport, are way off and/or fishing for info etc.

Also, those that have an attitude like I'm superior or am something because I have an ability etc.

Was watching one woman at this Spiritual Festival that kept "lecturing" and "telling off" this random girl who was her sitter in platform work.

She was not a great reader really and was rather bossy and irritating.

One woman there though was a GUN!. :thumbsup: I knew she had to have come from the UK/Ireland.

Fast, no nonsense, direct info and messages and even details that were mind blowing! :bugeyed:

My kind of reader...no pet peeve with her even if she is $240 an
hour. Well......

Zephyros

OMG I honestly just laughed out loud! That is awesome. :p And I completely agree... I sometimes see pics on instagram with "my morning reading" and similar and there's like a complex 12 card spread with at least 50 different crystals placed in some complicated pattern around it. It's like, whoa how does one have that much time on a Tuesday morning damn it?! :eek:

lol, exactly! I should start instagramming my own desk where I do readings... full ashtray, Tarot notebooks, bits of weed, coffee mugs and other assorted clutter. Those Martha Stewart-esque pictures have absolutely nothing to do with reality. Even if people have time for such a "morning reading," how do they have the energy?

Grizabella

I do have a few peeves about reading for friends. When I first started learning Tarot, I would offer my friends free readings in exchange for feedback, I would encourage everyone before every reading to be open with me on how accurate they felt the reading was as well as my delivery, and all I would get back after doing a 30 min reading was "it was good"...UGH!!!!! do I seriously have to PULL out feedback, that's not cool.

People who don't use the cards themselves probably don't understand what you mean by feedback. Maybe put a little list of feedback points you'd like them to give at the end of the reading would help.

My kind of reader...no pet peeve with her even if she is $240 an
hour. Well......

That's whyshe was $240 an hour. :)

lol, exactly! I should start instagramming my own desk where I do readings... full ashtray, Tarot notebooks, bits of weed, coffee mugs and other assorted clutter. Those Martha Stewart-esque pictures have absolutely nothing to do with reality. Even if people have time for such a "morning reading," how do they have the energy?

Yeah, mine would be hair sticking up everywhere, bleary eyes because I've yet to have my coffee, beading junk all on the floor by my bed, Tarot books all over my bed (yes, I do sleep that way. :p ) and just general disarray this morning. I'm exhausted and going back to bed as soon as I go through the rest of AT.

Tanga

Something else that's kind of a pet peeve... overly staged photos of cards and spreads on social media. When someone finds out that I've studied tarot since I was a teen, one of the first questions I'm met with (after the Satanic crap) is do I have an altar like they've seen on Pintrest, tumblr, Instagram, etc...

:) OK now... I have a Tarot Altar.
:) However - it is not on a table - it is on the wall - because I have no table space and I usually read the cards on my bed. :)
There are crystals hanging on-the-wall around it, some crystals on the floor below it, false flowers that I change, a miniature brooch of a scarab with two ladies either side (statuette - sort -of), I refresh the layout mostly with every pagan season - or sometimes by mood, and ah - no cat hair - because she can't bl**dy get there! (I hope!) - though she does think skimming the round Carnelian crystal below, across the carpet is fun. :joke:

...The other peeve isn't really a peeve, just something I find amusing. It relates only to people who use the Thoth deck. It seems to me that there are some people, not a lot just some, who use the Thoth to do readings but not to answer the question. This reader lays the cards out on the table, and then gets into talking about the decans, the astrological correspondences, the Kabbalah aspects, etc. They'll say that this card represents Venus in Pisces, and that other card is Saturn in Aquarius, and that this card represents Yesod and another relates to Hokhmah. And that's it. So hey, it's interesting hearing about all these correspondences and stuff, but can you or can you not tell me if I'm going to find a new boyfriend this year?

BWahahahahah!

...I do have a few peeves about reading for friends. When I first started learning Tarot, I would offer my friends free readings in exchange for feedback, I would encourage everyone before every reading to be open with me on how accurate they felt the reading was as well as my delivery, and all I would get back after doing a 30 min reading was "it was good"...UGH!!!!! do I seriously have to PULL out feedback, that's not cool.

Ah see now - asking friends for feedback can be tricky.
First of all - like Grizabella said - you need to spell out exactly what you mean by that.
Secondly - depends on the friend doesn't it? Is it a loooong standing friend who knows you really well and knows that REALLY - you will be alright with them saying exactly what they think?

I can't get on with readers who are so "fluffy" and "in Spirit" - that they forget the practical stuff (all energy and no structure :) ). E.g. I said recently to one "so ah, did you bring a Tarot cloth? I forgot mine and I'm kind of worried about protecting my cards on this table..." - reply "Oh - you know, it's really easy to "protect" your cards from negative energy, you just bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla".
To which I (metaphorically rolling my eyes) make a chopping motion in the air and say - "no dear - I mean - this is a PUB table - it will likely be sticky with all sorts of alcohol and vittles. I don't want to be putting my cards down on that!"

Sirena84

I just thought of another pet peeve..

ambiguous and coded readings.. when you have to solve a riddle to get to the message... lol

Grizabella

What's a coded reading? I know what ambiguous ones are, but not the coded ones.