Pet peeves

Debra

A wise man said,

I think the distinction here is these are pet peeves. They are things that might irk but we acknowledge is one way of doing things.

Laurelle

"Oh, (card here) isn't always negative!"
"Here's how to read (card here) as a good thing!"
"SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS HAPPY HAPPY POSITIVE~!"

That one drives me NUTS. People afraid to acknowledge that certain things in life are bad. Heads being buried in the sand drive me nutty, though that doesn't just apply to tarot.

Yes, that too. It's not a pet peeve. It doesn't bother me, but its kind of funny. Like the 9 of Swords....So you are having a good nightmare? Or maybe anxiety is good for your skin and weight?

earthair

I agree with Earthhair! I read Reversals and I ALWAYS--EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. turn the cards over bottom to top. I believe that consistency is the only key. I won't let the client turn them because I don't trust them to do it "right" or be consistent.

Barb

:D Yay! I'm not the only one :thumbsup:
I also accept that when the first card/significator is reversed that it's supposed to be reversed...another peeve I have is when people go turning spreads the 'right way up'- just accept the cards the way they are!
If for instance you're using CC and 9 cards are reversed, don't you think the one that isn't, is reeeeally drawing attention to something? *retreats to safe distance*

Nightmeru

:D Yay! I'm not the only one :thumbsup:
I also accept that when the first card/significator is reversed that it's supposed to be reversed...another peeve I have is when people go turning spreads the 'right way up'- just accept the cards the way they are!
If for instance you're using CC and 9 cards are reversed, don't you think the one that isn't, is reeeeally drawing attention to something? *retreats to safe distance*

People that don't read reversals really shouldn't shuffle in a way that makes them anyhow. Fortunately for me, I work with playing cards most of the time, so they look the same no matter if I've picked the deck up the wrong way or not.

madhatter00o

My pet peeve is when readers are too literal with the pictures. Like, in the way that "Oh, the wo/man from the 5 of X is looking at the Page of Y! This *must* refer to a connection meaning..." To me, the images in the cards serve to illustrate and remind us as readers what cards mean. Yes, imagining the pictures telling a story is a handy way to conceptualize and narrativize the spread, but just because a person (or animal or object) in one card is looking at or pointing to something or someone in another doesn't actually mean anything, does it?

Plus, the images from deck to deck can be so wildly different that I just can't accept that the images themselves have any bearing on the readings between the cards.

I certainly think that other factors (including but not limited to card positions, numerological meanings and interactions, and sign or suit interactions) are important for getting a better read on the cards, but it annoys me when a reader insists that the way the *pictures* are configured have a particular significance.

Ace

I get what you are saying, Debra, and I mean no bad intent to those that do it different, there is on one true way. But it does feel good sometimes to say what I think, even if all will disagree.

Another pet peeve: people who lick their figure then pick a card! Yuck!

Also: last night I worked and repeatedly had to stop and cover the cards and say, "Don't read my cards!" In tarot circles, those of us that know, this is VERY rude, but these were just party guests and didn't mean anything bad. I know. But they are so busy riffing off of the card they think is bad (that 10 of swords Rx looks so scary! OMG! I got the Death card, I am going to die, I know it!) or the picture they think is interesting (they mostly had never been read before) that they aren't even listening. And that irritates me no end.

(the lady with Death is going through heavy changes but not death!)

barb

Oink

Ha! Yeah, I am utterly confused and irritated by readers who do the "double element" method with court cards.

Every deck and reader is different of course, but in certain decks the courts are designed to be interpeted this way, so it seems like a valid option to me...

Golden Dawn decks and derivatives were designed with those correspondences, and they are listed in Book T by Mathers:
http://www.tarot.org.il/Library/Mathers/Book-T.html#AcePentacles

The Thoth deck and derivatives also follow this system, as detailed starting on page 149 in the Book of Thoth by Crowley:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/crowley/libro_thoth06.htm#THE VIRGIN UNIVERSE

gregory

deleted !

I don't care any more :D