EPIPHANY! A New Take on the Major Arcana

rwcarter

As I've been developing the deck, I've been incorporating a lot of RWS associations, some mythic and a few alchemical ones, but I really need to pay closer attention to chakras, Kaballa, Tree of Life, Astrology, etc. I really need to chart it all out. I think Rodney took a closer look at some of that stuff years ago.. I wonder if it's somewhere in his famous PDF? ;)
Only reason it's famous is because it has YOUR thoughts in it! :p As I've already stated in this thread, I'm happy to send the PDF along to anyone who PMs me their email address.

Rodney

Lucas Prince of Cats

Thanks for the very kind words, Lucas! I do hope that students of tarot find the same sense of excitement and discovey that I did when the original concept came to me.

This part of your post really resonated with me - chakras are one area of esoteric thought that I've not explored very deeply, but you make me feel that the tentative connections I was drawing make sense.

As I've been developing the deck, I've been incorporating a lot of RWS associations, some mythic and a few alchemical ones, but I really need to pay closer attention to chakras, Kaballa, Tree of Life, Astrology, etc. I really need to chart it all out. I think Rodney took a closer look at some of that stuff years ago.. I wonder if it's somewhere in his famous PDF? ;)

I hope to hear more of your thoughts when you've finished the thread, Lucas.

Hmmm, this is one of those times when you don't know wether to say you're welcome or thankjs! XD :D Also, I'm all about the chakras. They're the first thing that got me into spirituality, and continue to fascinate me. I would like you to re-explain taht spread with the three paths, and placing the fool down, it's the first one. I don't get how you can place down the fool that it's random. COuld you explain?

And this thread needs more attention!

dangerdork

Dangerdork, I *also* need to go back to what you said about the planets. I'm getting afraid this is too much for me to keep up with. I read at medium speed but I have so many things on my kindle, and an ADHD attitude to going through them - pile my plate at the buffet rather than one course at a time. :) But each time I come back to this theory I get all excited about it once again.

I'm excited again, too, and right now I'm back to contemplating the Trumps and have forgotten half of what I wrote about the minors over SEVEN years ago... ;) Guess I need to combat my own ADHD and reabsorb the thread.

Also, we go through life stages/phases which "turn" every seven-ish years. (Someone, does that fit with the transits of a particular planet? I know Saturn takes about 29 years to make his circuit but I can't remember if Mars is 7... unless the seven years are about Saturn's "quarters"?) I've observed this with my own sons at seven and fourteen, so far; and looking at my own personal development and people in general. There's a very definite change in awareness around 6-7 years, and the one we all know about around 12-14. And so on. Coincidence that most university students graduate - and are let loose on the real world - the year they turn 21? And so on. A friend laughed at this idea and said it probably works when you're expecting it to :)rolleyes:)

I tried to force this to work with Shakespeare's "Seven Ages of Man" ( http://www.ngca.co.uk/docs/the seven ages of man.pdf ) but it failed miserably.

but I know, as one example, that Type 1 diabetes sets in most commonly around the age of 6-7 or puberty; I don't think it's the only medical condition that does.

I happened to develop Type II (Adult onset) diabetes at age 49 (seven sevens) and it damn near killed me.

One thing that this "seven stations" perspective seems to be doing for you guys is, as it did for me, it leads to examining our own lives with fresh eyes in the context of esoteric traditions, as tarot at its best seems to do whatever your perspective.

dangerdork

I would like you to re-explain taht spread with the three paths, and placing the fool down, it's the first one. I don't get how you can place down the fool that it's random. COuld you explain?

And this thread needs more attention!

It's been so long, and I made up several spreads based on this system Lucas... If you're asking what I think you're asking, there was a version where the fool got shuffled in with the rest of the majors and the cards were laid out to reflect the grid... the fool then acted as a Significator, showing where the area of focus was at that moment of the querent's journey (Path and Station). Does that make sense? Also, could you maybe remind me which page of the thread the discussion is we're referring to?

Lucas Prince of Cats

It's been so long, and I made up several spreads based on this system Lucas... If you're asking what I think you're asking, there was a version where the fool got shuffled in with the rest of the majors and the cards were laid out to reflect the grid... the fool then acted as a Significator, showing where the area of focus was at that moment of the querent's journey (Path and Station). Does that make sense? Also, could you maybe remind me which page of the thread the discussion is we're referring to?

Yes, actually taht's the one! It was very early on, somewhere between 3 and 5? I don't get how you place down the fool? Do you mean doing it with your eyes colsed? And are signifiators a thing? How do they work?

dangerdork

Yes, actually taht's the one! It was very early on, somewhere between 3 and 5? I don't get how you place down the fool? Do you mean doing it with your eyes colsed? And are signifiators a thing? How do they work?

Oh they're abs totes a thing. Basically, it means you choose a card that "represents" the querent (or someone else, or a place, or any particular element of the question). Usually people, usually yourself (or the querent. or they choose their own). Then, when that card turns up, you pay extra special attention to its position or surrounding cards in the spread. Some people use it in the Celtic Cross spread and actually put it on the table FIRST and build the spread around it.

The significator is often a Court card that you relate to the image, the personality type it represents, some astrological significance, Meyers-Briggs personality type, and/or other factors. Like anything else about tarot, there are many different schools of thought, some people use them and others don't, etc.

Enjoy this page (and site):

http://www.tarotica.net/discovering-significators.html

When your head stops spinning, I hope to see you back right here on Channel Seven.

Lucas Prince of Cats

When your head stops spinning, I hope to see you back right here on Channel Seven.

I really wish I could add more to this thread, right now, but I already put all my current input, and also, that quote might just PERFECTLY describe this thread!

MandMaud

That's a discussion for Tarot Decks, not Using Tarot Cards. Feel free to start a new thread over there to figure out what deck you're remembering.
Fair point. :) I daren't start a new thread this week, though! I'm not even posting the new Lenormand question I just wrote, until tomorrow, so as to pace my interaction with AT!

Well, the more I look at it, it looks like every mystic, esoteric, or whatever has their own "thing". I'm very into the chakras, but not very much a astrology person. I try not to dwell into that, and just trust others on that.
This = me with the Kabbala. :)

But, I'm pretty sure, the sun is very fitting for the third chakra.
Yes, that's the thing. Solar plexus n all that. Hm...

I'm excited again, too, and right now I'm back to contemplating the Trumps and have forgotten half of what I wrote about the minors over SEVEN years ago... ;) Guess I need to combat my own ADHD and reabsorb the thread.
At least I'm only worrying about days (or is it weeks already) since I discovered this thread! :p

I tried to force this to work with Shakespeare's "Seven Ages of Man" ( http://www.ngca.co.uk/docs/the seven ages of man.pdf ) but it failed miserably.
Well, if that's supposed to use seven years per Age, the "second childishness and mere oblivion, sans teeth" etc would be at the age of 42 to 49. I trust Shakespeare didn't mean it like that, I know the average lifespan was shorter but surely not!

However, I feel an arithmetic moment coming upon me... I wonder if there's any way of combining them (your system and the Seven Ages). Hm, againly.

I happened to develop Type II (Adult onset) diabetes at age 49 (seven sevens) and it damn near killed me.

One thing that this "seven stations" perspective seems to be doing for you guys is, as it did for me, it leads to examining our own lives with fresh eyes in the context of esoteric traditions, as tarot at its best seems to do whatever your perspective.

Yep! :)

I was diagnosed with Type 1 a month before I turned seven, that's why I knew this statistic. I think it's more random with Type 2. But auto-immune things are so closely bound up with the spiritual body (chakras, yep) and life-thread stuff... hm, thirdly.

Lucas Prince of Cats

I dfrogot to mention why I mention that whole "seven stages of life" thing. It's because in the idea of chakras, there are seven elements (the first four are the widelknown four elements) and in astrology, each sign is basicaly the element as cardinal, fixed, or mutable, so bascally, all the elements have three aspects. Well, think of it as seven elements with three aspects!