Pet peeves

Padma

Actually, I'm more peeved about the unnecessary anxiety caused by the political correctness of gender-neutrality than I am about whether a particular question is or isn't gender-sensitive.

Yup! Why is this suddenly such a touchy topic...? As in, everywhere you go?

khatsar

Another pet peeve: constantly interpreting the Queen of Swords as a meddling angry bitch. Siiiiiigh

khatsar

Where? I'm genuinely curious. Have not seen this myself.

Padma

Another pet peeve: constantly interpreting the Queen of Swords as a meddling angry bitch. Siiiiiigh

I am with you there!

Where? I'm genuinely curious. Have not seen this myself.

Have run across it in a few forums, as well as advice columns etc...so I guess it is just that people are now identifying differently, such as gender-neutral, and there is no set way to deal with it, you know? No previous traditional way. People are looking for new guidelines.

crystalrose

From what I've observed, it's a social movement. People, especially younger people, are becoming more flexible about sexuality, gender roles, gay, transgender rights etc so what to call people is becoming a hot button issue. It's a generational gap that is now playing out right here on this board.

Barleywine

My wife's significator is usually the Queen of Swords (she of the VERY strong Gemini personality), and she isn't a meddling, angry bitch (unless I provoke her, of course).

crystalrose

Yes omg! And she's not always a lonely ugly old widow either. Jeez!

prudence

Actually, I'm more peeved about the unnecessary anxiety caused by the political correctness of gender-neutrality than I am about whether a particular question is or isn't gender-sensitive. This is an intriguing discussion for me since I never ask for a specific question at the beginning of a reading. Consequently, all of my readings start out "blind" to gender (except for the apparent gender of the sitter, of course) unless the cards choose to bring it into the equation. Then I will explore its relevance with the querent and try to zero in on its role in the matter at hand. If it's not pertinent to the cards, it won't come up in the reading unless the querent steers me that way.

Thank you for putting that out there because I do think this is a part of what is being discussed here about tarot readings, without anyone actually saying it out loud....until you did.

I have a 15 year old daughter who has lots of friends and who treats me like I may as well be a 1950s conservative housewife when it comes to gender stuff. A friend of hers identifies as non binary, and so my kid uses words like they and them when talking about this friend....I find myself getting confused and frustrated with this set up because the bottom line for me most days is needing to know how many kids I am picking up in my small car or allowing to sleep over in my daughters very small room. When I hear they and them I of course assume more than one person. When it gets down to oh, I mean so and so and that person is non binary, mom, so stop being so pedantic and old fashioned in your words and perception of people etc etc... Ugh. I am a liberal progressive very open minded person, but when it comes to these micro-labels of people, wow I am clearly a huge clodding dinosaur of narrow mindedness, according to my daughter. ;)