View Single Post
Citizen

MikeH 

Kwaw wrote
Quote:
Without further information the safest thing to say is that c.1890 sees the return of the Type 1 by two different publishers, H. Pussey (c.1880-1890) and B. P. Grimaud (1890).
Kwaw wrote
Quote:
So it seems to me, that many of the card games originally published by H. Pussey, were later adapted and published by Grimaud. So I suspect that the H. Pussey Etteilla I was first, then the Grimaud?
It seems to me that the safest thing to say is that Pussey and Grimaud are both documented as putting out the Grand Etteilla I, in much the same form as the original (excepting only a sunburst on card 1 and clothing on the devils of card 14), as hand-colored engravings sometime before the introduction of the tax stamp of April 1890. In the case of Grimaud, that would mean sometime between 1851 and 1890. [Added later:] For Pussey, thanks to your detective work since you wrote the first quote above, it could have been even earlier.

Kaplan in vol. 2, p. 403 (described p. 401) has pictures of a Grand Etteilla (owned then by him) exactly like the ones at the BnF except for not having the double numbers in cards 13-17. He dates it as "mid to late nineteenth century", but before the tax-stamp. The publisher is unknown. He says (p. 101) it is a combination of lithography plus stencil for the coloring. It is possible that one of our publishers, or someone else, put out such an edition, without the double numbers, before the ones at the BnF.

On the other hand we have found no documentary evidence of any "mid-nineteenth century" Grand Etteilla in the museum databases. Also, the original purchasers, d'Allemagne for the Pussey and Georges Marteau for the Grimaud, were both serious collectors, if rather young in 1890 (27 and 32). They would likely have bought earlier editions if they could. But it is also possible that neither of the collectors thought, or were able, to get an earlier printing of what they had, or an earlier edition (without the double numbers).

It may be of interest that the 1969 and current decks put out under the Grimaud label follow the coloring of Pussey's at the BnF (except for the green body of water on card 3) more than that of their own 1890 production there. Except for that, Pussey's is rather obviously superior. Was Pussey bought out by Grimaud?

Kaplan also has pictures of a German Grand Etteilla deck he says is "mid-nineteenth century" (p. 401), printed by lithography and hand colored. There is no sunburst, the little devils are nude, and the double numbers are there. The reversed keywords are upright at the bottom of the cards. The reversed for card 1 is "Der Forschende" (the Search); all keywords are in German and in script. This might be the deck by Hisler that DDD give as 1793. Or perhaps a reprint by someone.
Top   #287