Exploring The Victorian Fairy Tarot by Lunaea Weatherstone art by Gary Lippincot.

MagsStardustBlack

Here in this thread I hope to journal my own initial personal observations, feelings and thoughts on The Victorian Fairy Tarot.

Just received The Victorian Fairy Tarot deck and companion book the other day and I am really hoping this will be my new tarot reading deck! I use Frouds Faeries Oracle mainly but wanted a fairy tarot I could feel an equal connection and passion for.

These cards are beautifully painted. The are borderless and so have whole images with lots of detail in the scenes and in the characters themselves they are packed with life, movement and feeling. They focus on Spring Summer Autumn and Winter as their suits. I love this aspect as I love the change of seasons in Scotland. I feel already this deck is talking to me for this strong seasonal and nature based images.

I read the book, such a charming story to engage in, I love how Lunaea Weatherstone draws you in to the world of the fae and you get such a strong feel for the era of the Victorians and of their need for their whole hearted belief in the fairy.

Another theme running through the images of the cards is of flowers. Most of the cards have a flower, plant or tree which adds extra significance to the meaning of the image on the card. At the back of the book is a very helpful little index of all the flowers, plants and trees used in the tarot and their meaning for you to reference while exploring scenes on the cards.

Im really into exploring this deck further and in depth. So I reckon il run this thread for that reason. I hope to include exploring individual cards, maybe a daily card. And I hope to post readings with my own interpretations on the meanings of the cards and how they relate and interact respectively with one another for study purposes only. I will not comment on any readings posted regarding any specific situation for the purpose of interpreting readings. However i will comment on the imagery, connections between images and how the cards interact with one another. I might also include 'getting to know your deck' tasks. Whatever I feel like doing that will aid study of this particular deck.

Feel free to chirp in :)

MagsStardustBlack

The nature of my deck.

Ok so I don't always do this but I just felt like it. After looking through the deck casually I started shuffling. These cards although of not the best quality card stock are still reasonably ok and shuffling felt nice and smooth. I introduced myself 'hi I'm Mags' :) and told the deck 'energies' I won't be readings reversals on this deck. This deck is not designed for reversals. Then I asked 2 questions 'what is your nature? ' and 'what can you offer me as reader?'

1. What is your nature? ~ V The Vicar.

2. What can you offer me as a reader? ~ 9 of Winter.

V The Vicar
A beautiful forest scene in dappled shade. Warm colours and burnt orages, browns and golds as the sunlight breaks the wooded thick. I love this image for this card as it shows an authoritive and wise yet kind and gentle fairy telling tales and stories of the faery culture and laws to the fairy people as they listen respectfully and with clear enjoyment.

This card has a clear vibe of enrichment of social culture. It feels relaxed. Warm and honest. The Vicar sits at the base of an old oak tree. Flipping to the plant index at the back the oak represents stability and wisdom. This makes me think of rooted beliefs, enriching of the people. Im thinking united, unity, collective, peace.

The children fairies are there with the adults, so this for me represents an immature conscious mind, young and innocent. Offering counsel and advise, in a kind gentle way.

What is The Vicar saying? I wish I knew. As my deck nature I feel my cards are telling me that this deck is a teacher. A teacher of society and culture, religion and spirituality, truths and traditions. And I think this card is saying 'believe in fairy'.

9 of Winter.
In this deck winter represents swords. The scene is set and it is night time and the moon is full and high in the frosty winter sky. This card is a snowy wilderness. Through a large glass window a fairy sits up in her bed looking out into the moonlit forest where four weasels circle her little home. I feel fear, threat of danger and nightmares.

The moon and the night symbolise for me the subconscious mind, where our shadow self resides. Where our fears and anxieties give life to our worst fears. Looking deeper however this little fairy is nestled within tree roots. For me this feels like being earthed and grounded and sybolises safety. The glass window appears to be the window to her soul, the weasels on the outside, and on the indise a candle burns and illuminates her room, her soul. She is affraid but these fears cant hurt her, she is safe and has light within.

This card appearing in answer to my question is quite strange but very appropriate in that I have been browsing dark tarot decks today. And I think this card is telling me 'well actually you need not look any further for I can show you the depth you seek, the decent into the shadow self'

Brief exploration of these two cards ♡

Aeon.of.Horus

Here in this thread I hope to journal my own initial personal observations, feelings and thoughts on The Victorian Fairy Tarot.

Just received The Victorian Fairy Tarot deck and companion book the other day

Another theme running through the images of the cards is of flowers.

I'm really into exploring this deck further and in depth. So I reckon il run this thread for that reason. I hope to include exploring individual cards, maybe a daily card.

Feel free to chirp in :)

I would love to Chirp in Mags if you are still up for a little exploration into these lovely little Fae cards.
Maybe we can start a study of each card then expand onto 3 card daily reads if you like...
Let me know if you would like to play and I will happily follow on...

Aeon

Green Faerie

I would love to join in, if the two of you would like to have me! I use the VFT as my main reading deck, and I adore it. I'm also new to tarot (I've only been studying a few months), so it would help immensely to have people to talk to about the deck. :)

Gwynydd

I would love to join in :) I'm still new to tarot, but I cannot leave this deck alone :D One thing I've found with this deck, is that if I try to read or look for separate symbols in the card as you would with a traditional deck, it doesn't work so well. I find for me, looking at the 'story' of the picture overall seems to work better.

Green Faerie

Gwynydd, I find much the same thing! It's part of what I love about the deck, actually. I've spent most of my life analyzing stories, so it's something that is very comfortable for me. In this deck in particular, I tend to look at the story that is happening in the card, rather than any of the traditional symbols. Although, I also find that the seasonal associations really help me. I can think about the seasonal symbolism at the same time as I'm thinking about the story in the card, and many times that helps me remember meanings. :)

I'd be glad to keep talking, if you like! I adore this deck. :)

Gwynydd

Green Faerie, yes! This is more of a, 'what is going on in this picture?' As a whole, I find. I love that about it, too. It feels to me, once I've learned a card, the meaning stays with me. I've also found the readings to be completely mind blowing!

I could talk about how much I love this deck all day, I'm so glad I got it quickly

Green Faerie

I could talk about it all day, too! :) Like you, the readings I have been getting from it have been absolutely mind-blowing. Just spot on, sometimes in ways that are not exactly comfortable!! I'm sure that has something to do with being "in tune" with the deck (this was the deck that called to me, after I spent two hours handling decks and trying to figure out which one suited me best), but still. The readings are eerily accurate, and not always the most obvious. Do you ever get the feeling that the deck is teasing you? Fairies/Fae are known to be tricksters, after all, and I have gotten some card combinations that don't initially make sense, but then make a TON of sense, and I can almost feel the deck laughing in its sleeve at me. :)

Gwynydd

Yeah, I definitely felt called to it! I hadn't heard of it at all, then suddenly it was popping up everywhere online when I was browsing decks. I enjoy fairy lore, and the more I looked into this, I felt like I wanted to get it as quickly as possible, so I did :D Best thing I did.

I do think there's a cheekiness to it, for sure.

Green Faerie

I am no longer near the metaphysical store where I bought my VFT, but the other deck that is everywhere in my browser is Tarot of the Hidden Realm. That might be my next deck purchase. More Fae, but it's a different kind of deck - faces and animals rather than scenes. I think it would be more difficult to read, considering I am just learning and there isn't a lot (in some of the cards, at least) to give you cues about the meaning. I might purchase it when I can, but leave it on my bookcase until I feel ready to tackle it.

Another thing I adore about the VFT is the warmth. That seems like an odd thing to say, but every time I pull the deck out I just feel wrapped in nature and magic. Even the potentially "dark" cards have a gentle side, usually a feeling of compassion. You really get the feeling that everything is part of a cycle, and that even the sorrowful or painful things are intended to create growth. It's marvelous. :)