View Single Post
Resident

MacMorrighan 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbiz83 View Post
I've had moments of feeling at odds with the normative traditions in tarot. Similar to you, I'm trained as a literary scholar with a sizable focus in aesthetics. Though I've seen some queering of the Tarot writ large, I've strangely found myself uncomfortable with some of it since it seems to play on pervasive stereotypes. (e.g. The Gay Tarot with its pulp imagery and Tom of Finland slant alienated me as a gay man more than resonated. Indeed, I found it cringeworthy) I think oracle cards, in departing from the rigidity of tarot have pushed the envelope into more encompassing spaces, in general.
I wonder. Are we thinking of the same "Gay Tarot"? Produced by Lo Scarabeo? Granted, I don't own that deck, though I've seen the cards from it and it was utterly boring--as boring as stick figures! "Where was the Gay culture?", I asked! I didn't see anything even remotely redolent of Tom of Finland, however, if we are thinking of two different decks with a similar name, please let me know. I'd be very interested to look into another deck of this sort that wasn't so sanitized and banal. Like you and Neely, I am also of an academic persuasion!
Top   #5