Tarot ebooks

Falcor

A question of someone totally green at the subject.

There are many tarot books I would love to get but are expensive and I truly have no place for so many books. I have thought of buying an e-reader and here is the question...
Amazon offers an awesome selection of e-books I can buy through Kindle. Is it the only option? Must I buy a Kindle e-reader for that or any e-reader can be used with the buying Amazon e-books?

rwcarter

There is a free Kindle app (at least for the PC) that will allow you to read Amazon e-books on your computer without needing a reader.

Falcor

Yes but reader is good when i am not near the computer which happens a lot. That's why I want it.

Ace of Stars

You can install the Kindle app on any Android tablet or on an iPad and use that as your reader.

If you get a Nook or other dedicated e-reader you will probably be limited to purchasing compatible books from, say, Barnes and Noble or Indigo.

Falcor

You can install the Kindle app on any Android tablet or on an iPad and use that as your reader.

If you get a Nook or other dedicated e-reader you will probably be limited to purchasing compatible books from, say, Barnes and Noble or Indigo.

Thank you.
Actually I ponder about pocketbook touch lux 3(because it allows me books in Russian and Hebrew languages). Does it limits me a lot?

Lee

Thank you.
Actually I ponder about pocketbook touch lux 3(because it allows me books in Russian and Hebrew languages). Does it limits me a lot?
Hi Falcor, that e-reader that you mention has its own proprietary e-bookstore, and also will work with ebooks in some generic formats like Epub, but I believe it will not work with Amazon Kindle books.

My suggestion would be the same as Ace of Stars, to buy an Android tablet or iPad, which would then allow you to have the Kindle app for Kindle books, and other reading apps for Russian and Hebrew books.

Nemia

There is no comparison, for readers like me who read more than two or three hours a day, in the reading quality on a tablet or smartphone as compared to a real e-book reader. I own the Kindle and I can read hours and hours with it without any of the side effects that "normal" displays have. It's really something totally different.

I use Calibre to adapt e-books and PDF documents to the Kindle. Two thirds of my tarot library are on the Kindle.

Trying the system with an app is a good idea. I have only one Kobo book (the two volumes of Emily Auger's excellent Tarot in Culture), so I read it on my laptop with the Kobo app which is free.

But for long-time use there's nothing to beat a specialized e-book reader where nothing disturbs the mind (no emails, only a rudimentary browser) and nothing fatigues the eyes.

I don't know the lux but if you check out Calibre, you might get an idea how functional it is for the books you read. I don't have the patience to read Hebrew books and read only in German and English, so for me, the Kindle is ideal. But the Lux looks great. Really, e-ink is not only a marketing gimmick, it really makes such a difference.

Lee

I do agree about the superiority of e-ink for reading! :) I have a Kindle Voyage and do almost all my reading on it. I just thought for Falcor's particular situation - wanting Kindle tarot books but also wanting Hebrew and Russian books that may not be available on Kindle - the tablet route, where you can have different apps, might make sense.

Tibor

I do have a Kindle Paperwhite and as much as I like the actual device I do find tarot books to be quite expensive considering that you are just buying them electronically. I mean some of them are almost the same price as the physical book or even more expensive. Moreover, some of the books ( e.g. 365 Tarot Spreads) are not displayed properly on the kindle.

Falcor

I do agree about the superiority of e-ink for reading! :) I have a Kindle Voyage and do almost all my reading on it. I just thought for Falcor's particular situation - wanting Kindle tarot books but also wanting Hebrew and Russian books that may not be available on Kindle - the tablet route, where you can have different apps, might make sense.

Still thinking about it, thanks!
The problem is that tablets are bigger and more expensive so..do'nt know. I'll need to do some serious comparing work.