Premium German Rider Waite with Pam A crackle brown back and 1909 colouring

Le Fanu

Really love this deck - not tempted by the mini or pocket or whatever size it is - the standard feels just right for me. It's odd how, with use, I don't even notice the German titles.

I bought another standard-sized one. Because I wouldn't be surprised if it mysteriously vanished.

Linfang

I tried to take a comparison shot with several other RWS versions I own. It is difficult to catch the colouring in daylight without having too much glare. Maybe this helps to give an idea how the orange boxed "Tarot von R.W. Waite" looks...

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,295

Wheel of Fantastic

I've also bought a second standard size deck in case this edition has one print run and then vanishes.

I've been using it for a few weeks now - the German titles have caused no problems at all (plus, I'm learning a few words of German!) - and the cards have more detail than the standard USG 1971 Rider deck.

My favourite Rider deck is still the Waddington Blue Box 'blushing fool' Rider as it is as old as I am; there's a connection there.

Sulis

AGM Tarot Von A.E. Waite

Thanks to Le Fanu who told me about this deck, I now have in my possession a reproduction of the original 1909 crackle-backed deck with Pam A colouring and line work.

It's by AGM and is available on the German Amazon site.. It's titled 'Tarot Von A.E. Waite and it's beautiful...

Picture of my card of the day reading attached :heart:

Attachments

• The World - RWS.jpg
    The World - RWS.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 686

Le Fanu

Yes. It really is lovely. I had all my mass market RWS decks out the other day and I realised this one - alongside the Blue Box one (without copyright) and the PCS Commemorative set are by far the clearest RWS decks in terms of line. Unfortunately the tea staining of the Commemorative set deck bothers me somewhat as do the plaid backs of the blue box. Overall, this is the RWS that feels complete. I didn't realise how shoddy some of the other RWS reproductions are until I saw this one.

I find this one so appealing in so many ways. There are German titles, true, but it's funny how you don't really notice them when the images are so sharp and the font is so discrete.

12doggiepaws

I remember reading a post about this deck but got confused. Would you be able to give me an ISBN for this deck? Thank you in advance!!

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Two threads on this deck have been merged together.

FLizarraga

Yes. It really is lovely. I had all my mass market RWS decks out the other day and I realised this one - alongside the Blue Box one (without copyright) and the PCS Commemorative set are by far the clearest RWS decks in terms of line. Unfortunately the tea staining of the Commemorative set deck bothers me somewhat as do the plaid backs of the blue box. Overall, this is the RWS that feels complete. I didn't realise how shoddy some of the other RWS reproductions are until I saw this one.

THIS.

My standard deck arrived today all the way from Germany. I couldn't believe how murky the PCS looks beside this version. The cardstock of the PCS is a lot thicker, which I like, but there's nothing wrong with the German's cardstock.

The murkiness -- or tea-staining, as LeFanu aptly calls it -- of the PCS lends it a sort of melancholy that this German edition lacks. The Von Waite is simply, marvelously luminous. A serene, subdued luminousness, without the garishness of the Albano or the Radiant. (Which also have their place under the sun, of course; I actually love that garish quality in them.)

P.S. Yes, I am aware that "Tarot von A.E. Waite" simply means "The Tarot of A.E. Waite." It just amuses me to call it the Von Waite.

Thoughtful

l have never been able to get on with the RWS deck, but really feel l should have one l can connect with. It has been really interesting to read all the comments here, so have ordered the white box one with those crackle/pebble backs. My Roots of Asia tarot is in German so l will have no problem with the language.

Maybe, just maybe, this will be the RWS that speaks to me, l do hope so :)