View Single Post
Citizen

RohanMenon 

Quote:
Valens is an Astrologer, talking about both the theory and practice of Astrology and enjoying it. There are others that fall into the same category throughout history, including Lilly and Morin (though Morin is more into the theoretical side). Their Astrology is rigorous, grounded in a philosophical approach and much more focused than what passes for Astrology today.
This a hundred times. I would have thought Valens (once a good book is out) would be really good for beginners to start with. Then (again with a good book) Lilly. Right now the only real options for beginners are modern psychobabble approaches. A friend asked me for a beginner's book and I didn't know what to say. I finally gave her a copy of Avelar et al "Heavenly Spheres" book. Much better than the Steven Forrest etc I started with Lol, though it doesn't have much in the way of predictive technique

Quote:
However, what Valens and his era produced is, still with us: Charts, the Ascendant and angles, aspects, signs and the zodiac, houses and house meanings. It's just that they make so much more out of it than the modern Astrologer.
again, +100.
Top   #81