View Single Post
Citizen

RohanMenon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minderwiz View Post
This is a night chart. The most favourable planet in the chart is the benefic of sect, Venus. The most unfavourable planet in the chart is the out of sect malefic, Saturn.

At the place of accomplishment is aspected by both of these planets at the same time, the outcome will be variable - sometimes good, sometimes poor. In Hellenistic Astrology, planets are not always active. so it's very possible that sometimes Venus is active but Saturn isn't (outcome = good) but at other times, Saturn is active and Venus isn't (outcome = poor). If both are simultaneously active, we would need to look at the chart to see which, if either, might dominate.
This is totally awesome Thank You.

Quote:
Modern authors might try to blend the two meanings and come up with the situation always being mediocre (as both planets are active at the same time),
I did exactly this!! Saturn and Venus squaring, so good and bad blah blah. I didn't think of individual planets (and their aspects) being activated etc (which was the key step to understanding "sometimes full, sometimes empty) and considered these aspects to be "always on" . My bad. More bad habits from 'modern' astrology to be scrubbed from my brain LOL.

Quote:
Chris' paper is a good starting point. It's also worth remembering that the original use of Lots, was to allot property in a Greek city state (Polis).
Oh I see, so 'lot' by itself has the connotation of 'allotment' . Yes that makes sense.

Quote:
In the Myth of Er (Plato's Republic) souls choose their forthcoming life by lot order, and that choice involves receiving a personal daimon (a being that Valens also believed in and refers to).
Mind Blown.

Quote:
The two principles of chance (tuche) and some guidance from the gods, which might be for good or ill or even withheld on the whim of the god permeated the culture in which Astrology began to flourish. So it's not surprising that the concept of Lots made its way into that newly born Astrology.
Got it.

Quote:
By Valens' time (Second century CE) more Lots had been introduced. You've already come across the Lot of Exaltation and you will meet the Lots of Eros and Necessity. By Paulus' time there were at least the seven hermetic Lots and other Lots for specific purposes (Valens mentions Lots for marriage). By the turn of the millenium, Arabic Astrologers had over 100 Lots for all sorts of things, often to do with trade (there was a Lot of Barley, for example). If I remember correctly, it was Al Biruni who complained about the multiplicity of Lots. But by Lilly's time, only Fortune remained in regular use, and that is still the situation today. Perhaps that's not surprising because we too, as a culture, are addicted to lotteries!
Lol. 7 ( or less) lots should be more than enough. I think Valens will get to at least 5 (fortune ,exaltation, basis, Eros , Necessity - that's 5 . I'm sure a couple more will turn up.

Thanks again, Minderwiz, very helpful as always. Greatly appreciated.
Top   #87