Law of Attraction - Lack

suk

The "sophisticated manuscript for self-loathing" you state above I would add can also be a sophisticated manuscript for shaming others.

Yes, it often is. Mi-Shell explains how destructive it can be to peoples' psyches really well. It's really interesting to see this 'proof' from the psychological point of view, in the field, because I struggle to explain how damaging LOA is as a philosophy... not just to the people practising it themselves but to so many others.

There are those who would really benefit from being more 'open' to possibilities, and to getting out of self-sabotaging habits. These people hear of the LOA and either decide to shut their brain off in favour of this 'magic wand', or pronounce it ridiculous, and close themselves off to the spiritual world completely. Half-knowledge, as they say...

Falcor

It seems that LOA(from what I have read here, not very familiar with it) making people to be positive, sunny versions of themselves.On the surface looks good.

But actually it looks very much like forcing people into something they are not, greatly repressing their personalities, dealing with emotions, including negative, in a healthy way. Being comfortable to lead and to swing around(just say them negative energy and that it). It works on magic wand recipe that is easier to work with then the actual journey of self discovery. A part of "fast food" system.

No wonder it breaks people in the end..terrible.

Wow that thing is disgusting.

RiverRunsDeep

What really makes me go "wtf?" is those people who take it too far, who claim you can basically "attract" a new car, a fancy house, a jacuzzi, by positivity and "putting it out for The Universe to give" and such. Usually those people also have a very expensive course teaching you how to become a master of manifestation and such. Sigh...

But it has worked for me and others too. (check out RiverRunsDeep's post) And no, I don't have a program to sell you. :joke:

Weeellll, I'm not sure if my post is such a great example. Sure, I did some positive thinking and visualization, but I was also contacting the chamber of commerce and realtors, checking websites for rental listings and keeping an eye out for rental signs. And I don't equate searching for an office rental with drooling hopefully for a new car/fancy house/jacuzzi. It's just a small office where I practice my life's work, which (barely) pays the bills. :)

I must also add that I don't equate my office search with (as someone else charmingly posted) "manifesting dumb shit". Are we really allowed to refer to each other as dumb shits on a spirituality forum? How lovely. :rolleyes:

G6

I have read the lengths of this thread with much interest, especially because several of my clients have recently fallen afoul with the LOA in a very big way. To such an extend, that they endangered their life due to slumping into deep depression, hopelessness and suicidal actions.Of course they did not seek medical attention, because THAT would in itself be seen as "negative energy" and they did not want to attract mental illness towards themselves.......
The other problem with the LOA is, iffff a client confides in a mental health worker, psychiatrist, these professional try to convince the client, that the LOA is pure new Age nonsense and may go so far as declaring it a "system of delusions" - as in schizophrenia.
I recently had to get 1 person out of the mental hospital in (better not name the place here) by explaining to the MDs what this LOA is and proposes to do...... :bugeyed:
Yes, many people with latent depressive tendencies feel attracted to this system and then fall into a depressive anxiety ridden slump, especially NOW in these times when negativity, fear mongering and hatred are being put on a pedestal by the new US administration. These gentle souls (LOA followers) belief, that humanity is slowly evolving to a better, peaceful and compassionate way of acting -human to human and human towards environment and all other life forms and now feel, they are being slapped in the face, as policies return to the dark ages...... While all of us are upset and rant and vent our frustrations, share our ridicule and discuss actions of resistance, gentler souls see all this venting and even listening to news casts or friend's discussions ans negative energy, that they fear they are attracting - or we are attracting for them / towards them...... So they feel helpless and run over by it all, imploding inside themselves with nightmares, anxiety attacks and ultimately depression .....
A vicious circle........

I have written a blog post about just this problem and how I then in my shamanic practice, when appropriate, work with these clients to lessen the fear, pressure and help them work out their frustrations.

As of AT rules I can not provide a link myself, but via my blog you could find it....

Thanks for this post. The tricky part of what you describe above is the separation aspect. I agree and think it's healthy for everyone to decide for themselves what are appropriate or not influences in their lives and set boundaries. Where the trickyness comes into play with this is where you draw the line or more to the point what are your intentions? To use the Trump example from above, I feel at times I would rather just avoid the news for this next bit of time and pretend he's not POTUS, so I don't have to look at all the destructive things this administration is up to, but in doing that I am not actively participating in the reality we face. This action may give me a false sense of hope/peace of mind, but would it lead to worse outcomes? Esther Hicks is another LOA type spiritual leader and she advocates for staying out of "the vortex" which is essentially ignoring reality and focusing on positivity. For example, if you're not doing well financially ignore the bills piling up because you will just manifest more bills/debt if you focus on it. Although I can appreciate this as perhaps a tool to combat rumination or obsessive thinking it seems an incomplete remedy. This line of thought taken to the extreme, I met a person that professed to be a spiritual healer and this person would label people as "living in lack" and he would advise others to stay away from people he labeled as "living in lack" because they are "negative". Not sure how someone that is supposedly spiritually evolved and a professed healer would not see how judgmental and damaging that might be to others? It reminded me of playground taunts where someone would say So and so has cooties and we should stay away from that person. It is also very much related to winners and losers mentality. Stick with "winners" and stay away from "losers". I assume there are helpful and well intentioned LOA practices or as some have posted they have applied LOA principles to good effect. I guess I've just had mixed bag experiences and haven't found a way to incorporate aspects of LOA that might be beneficial.

G6

It seems that LOA(from what I have read here, not very familiar with it) making people to be positive, sunny versions of themselves.On the surface looks good.

But actually it looks very much like forcing people into something they are not, greatly repressing their personalities, dealing with emotions, including negative, in a healthy way. Being comfortable to lead and to swing around(just say them negative energy and that it). It works on magic wand recipe that is easier to work with then the actual journey of self discovery. A part of "fast food" system.

No wonder it breaks people in the end..terrible.

Wow that thing is disgusting.

Yes, I think LOA can do more harm than good for some people, especially folks that need to work through a fair amount of difficulties, and really look at/process what is going on with them.

G6

Yes, it often is. Mi-Shell explains how destructive it can be to peoples' psyches really well. It's really interesting to see this 'proof' from the psychological point of view, in the field, because I struggle to explain how damaging LOA is as a philosophy... not just to the people practising it themselves but to so many others.

There are those who would really benefit from being more 'open' to possibilities, and to getting out of self-sabotaging habits. These people hear of the LOA and either decide to shut their brain off in favour of this 'magic wand', or pronounce it ridiculous, and close themselves off to the spiritual world completely. Half-knowledge, as they say...

Yes, Mi-Shell's post was interesting and confirmed the downside of LOA. There are perhaps better ways to communicate tools to combat self-sabotaging habits that prevent one from achieving their desires. Even using the word law in LOA is a bit heavy/damning.

GotH

Weeellll, I'm not sure if my post is such a great example. Sure, I did some positive thinking and visualization, but I was also contacting the chamber of commerce and realtors, checking websites for rental listings and keeping an eye out for rental signs. And I don't equate searching for an office rental with drooling hopefully for a new car/fancy house/jacuzzi. It's just a small office where I practice my life's work, which (barely) pays the bills. :)
Yours is a perfect example of someone implementing the LoA though. You set an intention. Visualized it/felt it. Did your part. Then allowed yourself to receive something that might have been considered a far fetched outcome. Whether you were drooling about it or not is irrelevant. It was something you really wanted and got.

There is a person out there who many witnessed practicing the same thing and it was quite evident that he was doing so as he spoke in public. This person REALLY surprised the stuffing out of everyone when it worked too. It was he who was elected president of this country when so many people said he would never be. A good man? Doubt it. Someone with self esteem? Probably not. Mental issues? Most definitely. But the guy had a major desire to be prez and won despite what the world thought. :(

eta: When he was first doing his media thing, I would sit there by the TV and say to myself, man I recognize what he's doing, I PRAY it doesn't work for him. But it did..

G6

Yours is a perfect example of someone implementing the LoA though. You set an intention. Visualized it/felt it. Did your part. Then allowed yourself to receive something that might have been considered a far fetched outcome. Whether you were drooling about it or not is irrelevant. It was something you really wanted and got.

There is a person out there who many witnessed practicing the same thing and it was quite evident that he was doing so as he spoke in public. This person REALLY surprised the stuffing out of everyone when it worked too. It was he who was elected president of this country when so many people said he would never be. A good man? Doubt it. Someone with self esteem? Probably not. Mental issues? Most definitely. But the guy had a major desire to be prez and won despite what the world thought. :(

eta: When he was first doing his media thing, I would sit there by the TV and say to myself, man I recognize what he's doing, I PRAY it doesn't work for him. But it did..

Yes, I heard him saying, "One Way or another I'll be on Pennsylvania Avenue". Makes me wonder what's the difference between LOA and a self-fulfilling prophecy? Also in this respect since LOA doesn't discriminate how does it jive with the 3 Fold Law, Karma, Dharma?

GotH

Yes, I heard him saying, "One Way or another I'll be on Pennsylvania Avenue". Makes me wonder what's the difference between LOA and a self-fulfilling prophecy? Also in this respect since LOA doesn't discriminate how does it jive with the 3 Fold Law, Karma, Dharma?

Yes at his rallies he kept shouting out how great his numbers were in the states he was visiting. And not to mention how everybody loved him. :rolleyes: He kept saying these things over and over until he believed it to be true and in the end, enough became true to win him the presidency. I just don't believe it was only the non college educated white males who won it for him.

"The Latinos love me!"

"The Blacks love me!"

"The women of America love me!"

"The uneducated love me! And I love them!"

"Everybody loves me."

"We're going to win win win and we're not stopping."

As far as the 3 fold law goes, it's relative. What he's putting out there will come back his way 3 times. He threw out some hate, the hate is coming back to him in droves. All the protests are proof of that. That's gotta be hard on the guy because he WANTS everyone to like him. Everything he's done or said comes back to slap him in the face. It's definitely an interesting show to watch.

And yes, LoA and self-fulfilling prophecies are related because when a person focuses on an intention prediction they make for themselves, they create situations to match their prophecy.

This has been a very interesting thread G6. Thanks for opening it for discussion..

Mi-Shell

.... following up on these thoughts, in his next life he will be nothing but a Hungry Ghost.
- As per Buddhist teachings.....