Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

Nemia

My top five:

- ginger tea with lemon and honey for a bad throat

- brown sugar with onion, left in a jar until it turns into onion syrup - very good cough medicine

- cool wet pack around the legs to bring down fever gently

- essential oil mixture to boost hair growth (mixed and used that stuff for years, google Edinburgh study aromatherapy if interested, it worked very well)

- creams: a mixture of lanoline, olive oil and almond oil for fingernails, elbows, knees and old scars, and a mixture of coconut oil and tea trea oil for the feet

Great thread!!! I have many more :)

celticnoodle

When my daughter or the nieces and nephews were sick with a chest cold as an infant--my mother use to always make a sugar ball. How she did this was to get a bit (maybe a teaspoon ) of butter, and roll it into some sugar and then give it to the baby.

Not only do they like the taste of the sugar ball, but it seemed to help to bring up the gunk that was in their chest the next time they'd cough. It worked every time and it was also one medicine that the babies/toddlers never minded taking!

However, when we were a bit older, dad took over, and we kids REALLY liked HIS medicine. His idea for medicine for whatever ailed ya was to take a shot of whiskey and then go to bed. He always had the good whiskey in his pantry too. My siblings & I were often sick, sadly. })

Babalon Jones

celticnoodle,
i like your family remedies. Eat a ball of butter rolled in sugar or have a shot of good whiskey. Shit I do both of those for fun all the time lol

celticnoodle

celticnoodle,
i like your family remedies. Eat a ball of butter rolled in sugar or have a shot of good whiskey. Shit I do both of those for fun all the time lol

:laugh:

yeah, we kids preferred DADDY'S home remedy, especially as we got older. ;)

I know a lot of people will be shocked with me/us--but when my daughter was teething, I use to borrow some of that home remedy whiskey, (Crown Royal!) from my father and dip my daughters pacifier in it (just a bit on the tip of it) and sprinkle a bit of sugar on it and pop that in her mouth. Sometimes when her gums were incredibly swollen and sore, I'd rub a bit of that whiskey on her gums. Kept her happy and pain free! :D

(though she is just so aghast that we would do such a thing and hates to hear us ever talk about it!) :rolleyes:

Glass Owl

This is such a fantastic thread full of great tips. I know that a lot of people have mentioned coconut oil and I use it for all sorts of things. But I have found it especially helpful for my cats. It keeps their coats shiny, helps heal cuts/sores (especially on the pads of their feet) and it helps soften up fur balls so they are easier to cough up.