Anyone here observing Lent?

Morwenna

I know this seems like an odd question for a forum where there are so many non-Christians, but I know there are some here who are. Do you do anything special, add any spiritual practices, observe the abstinence days, give up anything, etc.?

About the only observance my husband and I now do (and he does because I do) is abstaining from meat on Fridays and Ash Wednesday. We don't always get to church on Easter either. But there's at least this.

celticnoodle

Born and raised Catholic, even as a born & raised I was one who was always given a pass on fasting and such. Drs. orders. Mom always had a meatless Friday--(never Fish as dad wouldn't allow that!)--which was mostly pizzas. :D I was very much underweight and no matter how much I did eat--including all the junk I could get on my hands on--I never gained weight. Man, those were the days! Its all catching up on me now--and I hardly eat any junk food now-but the pounds keep on piling on. :eek:

Mom use to also light the candles--one each week. 3 purples and one pink or white. I use to follow that one for years, till one day one of the tapers fell out of the candle holder and onto my tablecloth. thank God I was right there--but after that I never burned candles that were tapers every again. Thankfully, I kept the candle holders and they make great crystal ball stands. :D

I haven't even gone for ashes in the last few years. I'm a bad Catholic anymore. :(

BodhiSeed

Some of the folks in my book club showed up with ashes on their forehead today. I didn't realize this, but they said Sunday is considered a "feast" day, so whatever you give up for Lent can be indulged in on Sundays. My daughter, when she attended a Catholic elementary school, was told that instead of giving up something for Lent, they could promise to do something instead (which I always thought was a better idea :)).

celticnoodle

Bodhiseed, I like that idea, that instead of giving something up, do something of good.

Morwenna

I like that idea too. (Yes, Sundays were always exempt.) Once I was on my own, I never gave up anything. My whole childhood my mother made me give up my comic books. :( In my teens it was probably some snack (how much you wanna bet it was pretzels? I was addicted to those things).

But the thing that annoyed me the most was the dictum that you should be doing it ONLY for God, and NOT for any worldly benefit you might get! In other words, giving up snacks for the side effect of dieting, etc.

They gave out ashes today at work and even though I intended to go as late as this morning, by the time the moment came in the afternoon I was so absorbed in my work I forgot to go. :(

But supper tonight was bread, cheese, olives, hummus, and (for me) herring.

We always had a meatless day at home when I was with my parents, usually Wednesday, because there were a lot of meatless things we liked, and Friday nights we were always out doing the weekly errands and having (meatless) supper at a luncheonette. Those were the days when every Friday was supposed to be meatless for Catholics. But my mother laughed that it was no sacrifice for us because we all liked fish and cheese and all that stuff.

But I like the idea of doing something extra. I even remember a priest saying something about that when I was in my teens, but it never seemed to catch on with anyone I knew. I suppose it's never too late to start...

Genna

I very recently joined the Catholic Church, so it´s my first Lent. I meant to eat something less interesting for lunch yesterday, but could not in the end. Will try again today. Did a "good deed" instead (good idea).
I never observed it while studying the Catholic faith.

DownUnderNZer

When I was grocery shopping yesterday, late in the afternoon, one of the younger supermarket girls had this black smudge on her head. She was helping me to locate an item. Drop dead gorgeous model material with blonde hair and the most stunning blue eyes.

I said to her: "Do you realize you have this big black smudge mark on your forehead?".
She smiled back at me and said: "Yes, I am Catholic and it is Ash Wednesday, so that is why the smudge mark".

So, it is good to see some still celebrate it or what have you, even the younger generation.

DND :)

RiverRunsDeep

I attended a Catholic elementary school, and I remember learning about Lent in the first grade. Our teacher was a nun, and she explained the tradition of having to "sacrifice" something during the Lenten season. Each of us had to write what we were giving up on an index card, then solemnly post our cards on the chalkboard. When I got home, my mom asked me what I gave up for Lent. I told her I decided to give up potato chips. My mom said, "You don't even LIKE potato chips!" And, in my innocent six-year-old voice, I said, "I know. That's why I gave them up!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DownUnderNZer

So, one has to give up something one likes? :D:D:D

Then that would have to be ALL of Trump's decisions since being President, Tony Abbot, and most Politicians. LOVE them ALL equally the same!

Gees, maybe even Prince Charles could be added in there for good measure.

What I do not like?

Food, entertainment, and travel.

So perhaps I should work on those a bit more much to my dislike. :D

I LIKE ASH WEDNESDAY! :heart:

DND :)

I attended a Catholic elementary school, and I remember learning about Lent in the first grade. Our teacher was a nun, and she explained the tradition of having to "sacrifice" something during the Lenten season. Each of us had to write what we were giving up on an index card, then solemnly post our cards on the chalkboard. When I got home, my mom asked me what I gave up for Lent. I told her I decided to give up potato chips. My mom said, "You don't even LIKE potato chips!" And, in my innocent six-year-old voice, I said, "I know. That's why I gave them up!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

celticnoodle

:laugh: cute story! Sounds like a typical six year old. :D