Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

CharlotteK

I never liked this deck. BUT, I got it anyway! Please someone explain to me why I own it now and what I'm missing. Will I love it in the future?

I would also like answers to these questions. Night Sun is sitting in my Tarot Purgatory box, where the decks that I'm not liking so much reside until I make a final decision about what to do with them. I only looked through it twice and I feel slightly repelled by it, but I am wondering if I will change my mind as it's a bit fascinating too.

I would like some enabling or de-enabling on Merry Day Tarot please :)

Lain_82

Thank you Nemia, AJ and JylliM! This is definitely making me lean heavily towards the TM. The fact that the book is so well regarded also makes a difference, because I'll probably be relying heavily on supplemental material for studying (I can't help but bring my academic background into everything I do). I'll hopefully get my hands on this deck in a couple of weeks, and report back.

magicjack

I would also like answers to these questions. Night Sun is sitting in my Tarot Purgatory box, where the decks that I'm not liking so much reside until I make a final decision about what to do with them. I only looked through it twice and I feel slightly repelled by it, but I am wondering if I will change my mind as it's a bit fascinating too.

I would like some enabling or de-enabling on Merry Day Tarot please :)

Hi CharlotteK ! I'm not sure their are many out there that even care about this deck. I have to admit, I felt the same way. In the few last months I have went on a tarot deck spree. (not that bad) but of all the decks I have, I keep reaching over and grabbing this one. Granted I've only had it for maybe 3 weeks, I've really been looking close at the cards. They are very dark in color so you really have to look close at the cards to see what all is in the picture. They are starting to fill a strange void in me. I really needed something serious and creepy (for lack of a better word). I have not given anyone a reading with this deck as of yet and this also helps me to decide if I like a deck. I do think it deserves some time to sink in. Over time I will know for sure but right now, I'm kind of liking it. It begs to be serious. My favorite card is The Hermit. He has become spiritual in a very strange way. He might have went too deep within.

theEnigma

I have it and love it,but I know its not everyones cup of tea.To me its kind of like roaming through a historical maybe haunted mansion ,no people-you kind of have to fill them in yourself.Its mysterious and intriguing.Its not the easiest deck to read,and some of my gold edging has worn away.I think it does get better the more you work with it,I do wish some of the images were alittle clearer,and think it was a mistake that there was never the option of a guide book that gave abit of insight in to some of the symbols given in each card.
I treasure mine,theres really no other deck like it-even people that dislike it have to agree on that.
Have you watched some youtube videos and had a good look at it in action?Videos gave me a better idea of what I was getting.
I know its quite expensive,but you probably would get back what you paid in sale or trade,especially since theres only supposed to be 2000 decks so if it does go oop you might see it being sold for more!Hope this helps :)

This is a great synopsis of this deck. Tyldwick is a favorite and only gets better with time. I do wish some of the "grime" had been cleaned off / not added but it is very atmospheric. There is a great study group here on the forum.

Lisa Myobun

This is a great synopsis of this deck. Tyldwick is a favorite and only gets better with time. I do wish some of the "grime" had been cleaned off / not added but it is very atmospheric. There is a great study group here on the forum.

I've been lusting after the Tykdwyck for some time, but always pull back because the images look so low contrast and indistinct online. Muddy. Is it like that in person?

illyria

Tyldwick Tarot

I've been lusting after the Tykdwyck for some time, but always pull back because the images look so low contrast and indistinct online. Muddy. Is it like that in person?

The images aren't crisp at all. They don't have that sharp, glossy look we prefer with our modern decks. If you're hyperfocused on imagery, and trying to figure out the symbols used in each card, you're going to have to wade through layers of speckled and scuffed textures. That may be a deterrent. Also, the deck's Staves and Coins seem muddier than the Swords and Cups—but perhaps that's because of Neil Lovell's chosen color scheme for these Minors.

I agree with theEnigma about the deck being atmospheric. I love this deck, as I love old, old book parchment. I feel that I knew what I was getting into when I bought this deck (silent sentries, murky depths, untouched and unpopulated spaces), so I was able to embrace it as it is. I don't find it scary; just melancholy, and a tad impenetrable.

If you do decide to get the Tyldwick, don't expect it to greet you merrily and invite you in. It does look and feel like an abandoned mansion. But if you're patient enough to explore it, it will slowly give up its secrets. :)

Nemia

I bought the Tyldwick (and the Silson Lenormand). I've wanted it for a long, long time. Thank you for the answers :)

Thoughtful

Nemia do please get back with a deck review on the Tyldwick, l have been drawn to this deck like you for a long time.

Nemia

It will take a long time until I get this deck into my greedy hands - I'll have it sent to my mother in the EU and I won't be there until August :-( The shipping, the shipping!

I have read every shred on AT and on the net on the Tyldwick, have studied the pictures online... there is hardly another deck that has fascinated me but also irritated me. Why is everything so dusty? so fuzzy? so ambiguous? I understand that this lack of crisp clear images is exactly the special thing about this deck.

I can read with other decks that have no human presence. I hope I'll be able to make sense of this beautiful deck. It's one of the craziest ideas in tarot history, without a doubt - and again so wonderful to see that you can find the archetypes and stories of tarot everywhere, under the sea, among spiderwebs, in the museum or in space, and also in lonely, forgotten rooms... the other Malpertuis decks are thrillingly innovative, too.

Well I'm sure now that I ordered it a large mainstream publisher will throw an affordable edition on the market :joke:

Thoughtful

Nemia if it came in a price l could afford l would order it in a heartbeat, l would not feel so bad then if l really could not read with it. Just love the mystery of all those dusty old rooms with echoes of a long forgotten era. It is so easy to conjure up the smells of long ago fires lit by maids, and the footsteps of the Master of the house striding through the rooms, followed by the dainty sounds of his daughters footsteps. But whether that all makes it a good reader is hard to say.