The Everyday Tarot - Poppy Palin

banbha

Don't they know when they have something special in their hands? Idiots.

Email sent.

greycats

Take some of the marbles and go.

Wrote 'em. Well, it can't hurt; I was polite. I expect they want something like a booklet--a gussied-up rendition of the LWB--to ship with the deck. (Cuts way down on shipping costs, I imagine.)

The full book, with the poetry, stories, examples and songs, can then be considered a separate item, can it not? If a booklet fulfills the contract, possibly she can take her material and go elsewhere. Publish as an ebook. Talk to on-line publishers. Or whatever.

greycats.

rwcarter

Knowing the package "model" they use for their sets, I have a really good idea of what type and size book they want to have accompany the deck (which hopefully won't be on their more horrid card stock). That will be woefully insufficient.

If Schiffer owns the cards, maybe Poppy can give them the insufficient book they want and use a Print-On-Demand service to print her complete companion book.

shadowdancer

I am spitting feathers here. They have strung her along and now this.
She deserves a lot, lot better. I know she has put heart soul, blood, sweat and tears - and more into trying to get this off the ground. They are holding her to ransom.

I will contact them and also write to her. There has to be a way forward. Letting Poppy produce the book and they have it on their site as an e-book makes sense. Or a PDF. Heck I did that with my deck (263 A4 pages) so there is no excuse.

Her deck is the deck of all reading decks IMO. And I am flamin' angry for her right now.

JoLister

Wow, thanks everyone (so far) ..
rwcarter - I love that, may have to use something similar myself when I write again.
I'm messaging them on Facebook as well.
It's a real shame Poppy can't see all of this, because of her terrible internet access.
I know that Poppy will be so so grateful.

gregory

Knowing the package "model" they use for their sets, I have a really good idea of what type and size book they want to have accompany the deck (which hopefully won't be on their more horrid card stock). That will be woefully insufficient.

If Schiffer owns the cards, maybe Poppy can give them the insufficient book they want and use a Print-On-Demand service to print her complete companion book.
And make it VERY public why she has had to do this. NAME AND SHAME Schiffer.

Carojulie

I just discovered this deck through this thread, I was not aware of it before.... it is SPLENDID, so rich, so deep, so inclusive, so brilliant, so..... good and kind and uplifting.
Then I discover in the same thread that she is not finding a publisher ? When so many decks are being published (not all of them that brilliant), this one jem would not be ?
I hope that publishers will see some sense soon !
I'll send my support to Schiffer too, then, and hope it makes a difference.
Or maybe another one could pick her up (I haven't read the whole thread so I do not know the details)

I keep my fingers crossed, and send my admirative wishes and support to the artist.

avalonian

I've just emailed them as well.
:)

shadowdancer

Contacted them. heck I hope I was restrained but firm enough.

REF: Everyday Enchantment tarot.

Along with many others I have been waiting with anticipation for the publication of this deck. I have been a reader for 22 years, and this deck is the only one either on the market or in production that looks like it can be the ultimate reading deck for the modern era. It has everything a reader wants. A truly magnificent deck.

I am therefore more than disappointed to hear that you may not be publishing it if the creator is unable to meet your stringent book requirements. And along with that, you in effect own the rights to the deck, thus preventing her from considering other options.

I believe your stance is wrong and damaging. There are solutions to this, and one would include the inserting of a small / precis book with the deck (it appears that is what you want) whilst offering the FULL version as a downloadable PDF for those who purchase the deck. Poppy's words and inspiration behind the images are important here. They add so much and will enhance the experience for the reader. And should not be curtailed. Nor should it be the reason why the deck is not released. I know from her website she is eloquent and clear in her descriptions. If she is restrained to only including a watered down and insufficient booklet, the deck is not being given justice, and the creator is being also being shown a disservice.

I ask that you work with Poppy on this, and not against her. It is very callous to expect the creators to work for years on a project, only for you as a publisher to then be contemptous in the subsequent treatment of them. This deck should see the light of day. I am hoping it is with Schiffer in partnership with the creator. If you do decide to no longer go ahead, I hope you allow Poppy to try other avenues. If it transpires that is not the case, I will make it clear - I will be boycotting any further Schiffer publications. You will also find there will be others in the wider tarot community (this issue has been highlighted on the Aeclectic Tarot forum) who may follow suit.

I look forward to receiving a reply, and to also seeing this deck in its fullness released in the future.

rwcarter

Davina,

I daresay you were nicer than I was. But I'm with you on the boycott if Schiffer stops this deck from seeing the light of day.

Rodney