View Single Post
Resident

JDusk 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
It occured to me that The High Priestess, the Atu of Learning and Wisdom, is very aptly represented here by the constellation Mensa, which is also the name of an international high-IQ society. Just a thought.
Interesting thought. I did a bit of research and it doesn't seem the constellation has any connection to the society other than the name, Latin for "table." But I did unearth some interesting information about this constellation and mountain while I was looking:

The constellation is one of the faintest in the sky and has no bright stars in it. This makes me think of subtleties, obscurity, and discernment.

The peak on the left is called "Devil's Peak" and on the right is "Lion's Head."

This page discusses some myths and history of Table Mountain. Most interesting to me is its discussion of the journey to the East (circa 15th century?) being considered one of spiritual enlightenment, and the troubles of ships trying to pass this mountain, in what were thought to be some of the most dangerous waters to navigate, were considered a kind of conflict between the voyagers and the classical gods thought to guard this "portal." It was even likened to Janus in its gatekeeping function, controlling who would pass through this portal. Janus with his double heads, especially in the images shown on this page, also really reminds me of the sky/ocean mirror in this card. And with Janus symbolism there's a lot to think about - duality, seeing into the past and future, transitions, beginnings and endings. And thinking of it as a portal on a spiritual journey, of a crossing point or gateway controlled by spirits/gods, is interesting. If this is the case I would think this shows you are going on a journey which is facing a lot of resistance or murky waters. Maybe coming into conflict with forces that are beyond your comprehension. The function as a portal, I think, suggests that if you are able to get past this mountain there is something truly significant waiting for you, not just resuming your daily life.
Top   #4