Osteomancy anyone?

celticnoodle

Eva, that is fascinating! I do recall awhile back (how long, I can't recall!) that there was once someone here on A.T. who also did this. Did you do a search on Osteomancy? Or even "Bone" in case that helps?

And, Barleywine, :laugh: you are such an interesting character! :D can you post a link to your spread that you "just" posted? Though, I am going to search it out. I'm curious! :D

eta: okay, Eva, I did search for both--but bones brought up A TON of posts, the first few didn't resonate. however, osteomancy, yes, there are people here who have done this. so DO a search with the subject as osteomancy and select it to search only in Divination. Here is the first one I saw:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=2041696&highlight=osteomancy#post2041696 by wendywu. Maybe contacting her to see if she still does this--or one of the other people who posted about doing this.

Good Luck!

ana luisa

I agree, fascinating thread ! Thank you for posting it :) I'm not familiar with Osteomancy but Conchomancy is VERY popular around here. Hard to read but quite interesting.

Attachments

• 20160220152304_buzios-01.jpg
    20160220152304_buzios-01.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 176

celticnoodle

ana luisa, that is very interesting! do you practice conchomancy?

ana luisa

ana luisa, that is very interesting! do you practice conchomancy?

Unfortunately, no. The ones who do it belong to a certain group of spiritualists and you have to somehow be in the lineage or be a member of the group to learn the craft. There might be a school teaching it but I have never seen one. It is a bit like casting charms but the shells and their disposition are linked to different African divinities. This was brought to Brazil by the slaves, I believe.

celticnoodle

Thank you, Ana Luisa. That is very interesting, but sad that they won't share it with anyone who is willing to learn. That is how things begin to die out--and then before you know it, no one knows the craft so it cannot keep that part of their history alive and going.

Sadly, this happens in so many ways of life with many various crafts.

EvaSegovia

It's a source of irritation, but not having any luck with "Search". Maybe because I only have an iPhoto (no computer)? Anyway CNoodle, I totally appreciate the link. Dove in head first! So much fun to read all these posts! Yes Ana Luisa, I've read about African shell divination. Apparently it's very complicated even if one were able to learn it. Depending on how the shells fall, any of 256 possible composite patterns can turn up, and each one has its own specific characteristics that the diviner must be able to interpret.

EvaSegovia

Oh... I completely forgot! There IS a simple divination using cowrie shells. They need to have the humps sawn off as in the pic Anna Luisa posted. It calls for 4 shells which are cast like dice. Mouth open (sawed off part facing up is yes. Mouth closed is no. Depending on how many mouths are open or closed, they can be read as yes, maybe yes, maybe not, and no. If 2 mouths are open and 2 closed, the shells are arguing and there is no answer at this time....

celticnoodle

It's a source of irritation, but not having any luck with "Search". Maybe because I only have an iPhoto (no computer)? Anyway CNoodle, I totally appreciate the link. Dove in head first! So much fun to read all these posts! Yes Ana Luisa, I've read about African shell divination. Apparently it's very complicated even if one were able to learn it. Depending on how the shells fall, any of 256 possible composite patterns can turn up, and each one has its own specific characteristics that the diviner must be able to interpret.

Oh, yes, I can see how it would be difficult w/o a computer and only the iPhone. If you wish, I can send you more links on google--just PM me and I'll do so.

Oh... I completely forgot! There IS a simple divination using cowrie shells. They need to have the humps sawn off as in the pic Anna Luisa posted. It calls for 4 shells which are cast like dice. Mouth open (sawed off part facing up is yes. Mouth closed is no. Depending on how many mouths are open or closed, they can be read as yes, maybe yes, maybe not, and no. If 2 mouths are open and 2 closed, the shells are arguing and there is no answer at this time....
:laugh: Your last line here made me laugh. :) I'd be interested in having a shell reading done for me. It sounds pretty cool. If I ever get the chance, I'll have to try it! :D

EvaSegovia

Hi celticnoodle! I pm'd you but I made the C in your screen name a capital. I hope it went through... Boy! Am I all thumbs!!!

bonebeach

Sadly, this happens in so many ways of life with many various crafts.

Santeria and Candomble, both of which are very into shell divination, are in no danger of dying out, and you can learn how to read the shells if you take the time to become a member of the community. "Lineage" doesn't mean blood.

There's also divination with coconut shells, which you're not SUPPOSED to do until a certain level in the religion according to some people, but which is really quite simple, so people end up doing it anyway. Shhh...

I would love to learn some kind of bone casting, though.