View Single Post
Citizen

headincloud 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
First off, where are those textbook meanings to be found? I have many textbooks, and they by no means always agree with each other. Not so much that they were in outright contradiction to one another; often, it's more a matter of what aspect of a given card they highlight.
I personally use RWS so all of the books based on that system, like you I find they tend to highlight different aspects of the cards base.

Quote:
For every card is a symbol that covers a multitude of meanings. So I like to study different people's take on a card. To see what clicks. And to relate those insights to my own experiences with a card as a reader.
I love to study others takes on cards, and even more interesting are the takes on the questions.

Quote:
In the beginning, I too was rather going with textbook meanings. I think, for many, this is the best way to go, initially. But at some stage, those meanings expanded in order to no longer give me a bunch of keywords, but to tell me coherent stories. So I continue to listen attentively to the cards' narratives, learning not only about the specific situations they talk about, but also their very language in all its complexity, while at the same time, my awareness and holistic thinking improve.
To my understanding that's exactly what happens when we've put the work in.
Top   #58