View Single Post
Resident

theredfox 

When I first saw these cards I was surprised and intrigued to see the way the traditional symbols/ideas are altered. I like this, because it helps you to re-think and expand your ideas.

The Fool archetype is associated with madness - the Fool in Shakespeare is regarded as semi-lunatic, but it means he can say sharply critical things in a way no one else can. In King Lear theres a moment when the King beings to realise what he's doing and give him a warning. At other times, people comment that he's actually quite wise. He speaks in riddles, songs, poetry and apparent nonesne that is actually great insight. Bit like a comedian - he can do it, because he also makes people laugh.

Society thinks walking into the unkown (off a cliff) is mad. And if you dare to do it, by meditating or learning esoteric subjects like Tarot, you are a madman. The intoxication of Dionysus is divine; the wine represents spiritual ascension, the dissolution of boundaries and rigidities and assumptions of society and ego. The eagle is a higher aspect of Scorpio, the sex energy, implying psycho-sexual elevation. It was also the bird associated with Zeus, who as king of the gods implied ultimate divinity.

However, getting back to my initial remarks: what surprises me with these cards is the way they are non-hierachical. Thus, Dionysus was not at all the ultimate god, but here he is representing the ultimate card. And you see other characters who aren't especially powerful or prominent, representing the major arcana principles. Its an interesting process because - like the Fool, and like Dionysus - it breaks down the patterns of normal/traditional thinking.
Top   #3