Secrets of Lithomancy (stone or crystal divination)

Gwynne

I got 13 of my 16 stones today. Haven't found any that are appropriate for the Male, Female and Center yet, but I'm taking a short trip to the local park this evening and hope to find some there.

Here's my stones:

MALE - None yet
FEMALE - None yet
SUN - A small piece of amber. It's very, very yellow and has a very warm feel to it, like sunlight!
MOON - A small piece of moonstone, of course!
JOY - A small piece of Amethyst. It's purple, and very happy!
SORROW - I went with smokey quartz for this. It's grey and so has that sad feel to it.
EARTH - A piece of petrified wood
AIR - a piece of citrine. It's yellow, the color that as a Wiccan I associate with air. It's also got a lot of inclusions.
FIRE - a piece of rainbow jasper. It's bright red with white streaks.
WATER - a blue lace agate, blue for water of course!
SPRING - a piece of green moss agate. The green reminded me of spring leaves.
SUMMER - A piece of Carnelian. It's very orange and reminded me of the summer sun, but different enough from the amber that there is no doubt about which is which
WINTER - snowflake obsidian. The stone itself is black, but it has white snowflake formations in it.
LOVE - Rose quartz, a stone I've always associated with Love.
THE CENTER - None yet.

I love Elf's idea for the quilted cloth and am making a trip to the fabric store soon to see what suitable fabrics I can come up with.

Chronata

Gwynne...your choices for stones sound perfect! And so lovely too!

As Promised here is the first part of using the stones for personality readings.

I tell people that it is really more psychology than psychic...but I have trusted my intuition on this one, to get further meanings from the stones and the combinations that people choose.

The real reason I do this type of reading however, is to gauge my audience, and get an idea of what kind of energy I am going to get back from the tarot reading that is comming, and from the person I am reading for!
Ah yes! The Hidden Agenda! })

I ask the querant to choose three stones that appeal to them, or that they believe may represent themselves...

Just by the way that they choose the stones gives me a good idea about them. Do they pick three quickly, making a snap decision? Do they look every stone over carefully, holding them up to the light, and really try to choose wisely?

I incorporate what I observe into the reading.

The way I can explain this type of reading is that we all have been subconsciously influenced and imprinted with certain shapes and colors...people who love water, are almost always drawn to the bright watery blue stone. And people who love drama, extravagance, and expressing themselves...are invariably drawn to the sparkling crystal of the Sun!
And these colors and shapes that we are drawn to most can describe a lot of what makes us tick, and what personality, and part of ourselves we share with everyone.

So...here are some personality meanings behind this set of stones....

You may need to experiment with your own set to discover if these meanings are universal or not...but my thought is...if that stone reminds YOU of a particular attribute, it will probably remind someone else of the same (even if it is buried deep in thier subconcious!)

Sun...people who choose the sun are often really dramatic. They love to be leaders, and the center of attention. They live on praise, and possibilities. They like to be seen and heard, they always take credit for thier work, or that of "the team". They inspire loyalty, and don't mind getting up in front of a crowd to speak, on stage to sing karaokee, or in front of the office to give the reports. Most of the time, they love to hear thier own voice, and are great for organizing a herd of children, or a mob. People just naturally listen to them...even if they aren't saying anything important. They have Charisma, and stage presence, and make great teachers.

Moon...moon people are in some ways a lot different from sun people...in that they avoid crowds, getting up in front of people or taking credit...even when it's due. They love to do things annonymously, and are annoyed with fame. Not to say that they aren't leaders...or charismatic...but they tend to enjoy being alone, and thier charisma is quiet and passionate...almost seething.
moon people are intuitive, psychic, and whistful. They love the idea of travel...foriegn, exotic and mysterious places have great appeal...but they also really enjoy home, and thier own space.
Mysteries, especially ancient ones are appealing, as is anything occult or secretive....or dealing with the unknown or superstitions. They like to be detectives, and they enjoy a hermit lifestyle.

Male...Anyone who chooses the male stone is almost always thier own boss. This is someone who likes to be in control of every important aspect of thier life. This is also the risk taker, the person who jumps into things...whether investments or relationships...without a second thought. Dominance is the key word here. And often agression, and self relience. Male people are often also competitive, thpough it doesn't have to be with physical things...I know a woman who choose this stone who loves to beat people at Scrabble.
Think any traditional male aspects, and these incorporate the personality.

Female...Compassion describes this personality well. And nurturing too. Those who choose female like to make sure everyone's having a good time. They call on you when you are sick, and send chicken soup when they can. Those who choose this stone have patience, and never rush into anything unprepared. Think of all those things that traditionally make up the "feminine side"...the ability to listen, and give advice, the peacemakers, and non agressors, and those who love harmony.

Joy...those who choose joy are the eternal optimists. The ones who drive everybody crazy because they will find the good in everyone and in every situation. They will be the ones who tell you that everything happens for a reason, and they make lemonade outta lemons, and they are pretty much the kind of people that always seem cheerful, and content with what they have.

Sorrow...the folks who see the glass as half empty...they are not always downers...but they will focus on the negative side of things most of the time. And they are always worrying about what might be....rather than what actually is there. Ofetn they are hypocondriacs, endlessly fixated on thier many problems...or the problems of the world. Not everyone who chooses this stone feels that way....but people who have loss at the moment...can be drawn to it. If the person chooses other stones that belay this sorrowful personality...I often have them choose one more...and read this stone as a momentart depression, due to current circumstances.

Center...this one is almost always chosen by the chaos people. you know the type...people who are always stressed, and always have a full plate. They know how to relax(usually) they just never seem to have the time! People who are oraganized in emergencies, who thrive on deadlines, and who often create chaos in thier lives...just to keep from being bored...this is the kind of personality that is drawn to the center stone. Sometimes they don't want to admit it...but this is the type A that just has to have something to do...twenty four/seven.

Love...the people who choose love really already have a good idea of what the stone means. After all, it is shaoed like a heart.These are the true Romantics, who are loving and giving people, with lots of friends that walk all over them! Well...okay maybe not all the time...but love people are often so much in love with the Idea of Love that they never find it in a real relationship....and they LOVE relationships of all kinds! Often, lovers don't live up to thier perfect expectations...but they shower gifts and notes, and kindness on everyone. They also love tactile sensations...touching and being touched. And they often love luxurious fabrics and things that feel wonderful!

Well...that's a start...more to come in the next post!

Imagemaker

While I've been collecting stones (and getting past the holiday and busyness), I found a sideline of items to create an oracle with. Little treasures in odd places, including:

a tiny wishbone (real one, from a Cornish hen)
one of my wisdom teeth--really, the whole thing pulled so long ago!
a little diary key
a very thin mother-of-pearl heart, originally an earring
a bright red/green slice of watermelon (plastic) also originally an earring
a tiny black fish carved from ?

I'm not sure what else will turn up, but these particular items really speak to me. It's a Odds & Ends Oracle, I think.

Meanwhile I'm finding my stones for the regular Oracle :)

Gwynne

I'm putting together a button oracle with the same meanings as Chronata's lithomancy stones. A little boy for male, girl for female, rain cloud for sorrow, smiley face for joy, etc....

I think it will be fun to use with children, because I have actually had people bring their children to me for readings!

Satori

My set is almost complete, but I have to say that the male stone is very male.
It is a piece of quartz with a stone top...a stone termination. So it is very phallic. It almost seems too strong for the set, but I can't give it up! It just fits somehow, even tho it is strong. It's called Sceptre Quartz.

My Chaos/Center stone is black and I don't know the material. Some kind of ore, probably iron ore, that has been vulcanized because it is smooth, so maybe some lava....

Imagemaker, I know what you mean about creating a new set that is very unique and personal to you. I have lots of stones around now and wonder just what is up with this new collection of mine...the crystal/stone collection. As in why am I getting so many little bits and bots of things....I can't seem to resist tho. And I have several carved animals that are crystal or stone.

Anyhow, Chronata, did you try to keep your lithomancy items smallish?
Because my pieces are rangeing in size from large to small, but they seem to be in scale to one another....does it matter?

Ankou

I'm also wondering about the sizes. I feel like the items should be close to the same size just so a querent isn't drawn to one because it's so big...

My female is a cowerie shell

male is a copper rivit/nail

center is a chinese coin

moon is a spiral piece of ebony with a little jewel in the center

Autumn is half a walnut shell

Spring is a plum seed

Sorrow is an Apache tear stone (gorgeous)

Still working on the others, of all the little bits I've collected in my lifetime only a few really speak to me for this sort of use, lots of them would rather stay in the pantry communing with my dolls and candles, so I guess they should be let alone if they want...

Love and Light,

Ankou

Chronata

Everyone's sets sound fabulous!

I want to see pictures!!!

Size doesn't really matter as much as you would think...
Mine are all pretty much in proportion...but my teacher's stones were the whole range of large bones to small river pebbles!

Here's an unexceptional...and blurry photo I just tried to take of my set...I will try again later, when I have worked out how to use this broken digital camera.

But you can get an idea of size, color, and shape...hopefully later, you will be able to see detail.

Attachments

• stones.jpg
    stones.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 273

Ankou

Cool!! Thanks Chronata!!!

I think I'll just photo the pile and see if there are any suggestions about which bits should go where?

I have some large bones I'd like to use but know not where to put them in the line-up...

Ankou

Chronata

Here's more on personalities of stones....

Water...water people, for the most part, are emotional, dreamy, and empathic. They are artists or poets or musicians...but many people never know this because they veiw art as a cathartic release or as an escape. Water people are also spiritual in some way...not necessarily religious, but they love rituals and traditions. They are often quiet, moody and caring. They tend to live somewhere where there is water...a lake, or stream, or ocean. Music affects water people very strongly and they almost have their own soundtrack for every aspect of their lives. Water people appear wise and knowledgable...but it might be just because they are such good listeners.

Fire...fire people are instigators. they like to start things...whether projects or fights...but they don't often have the stability to see things through to the end. They are fabulous at comming up with new ideas, creative concepts and inspirations, but the fire burns out quickly, and they get restless and bored and move on elsewhere. Fire people like the idea of revenge. They have tempers that flare...but once the initial emotion is out, they can forget what made them so angry in the first place. Fire people tend to be artists too...but unlike water creators...they love to show off their work, and try to make money from it.

Earth...earth people are stable, loyal and the kind of folk that don't like change. You can rely on them for lots of things...especially money. They seem to have a knack for money...or at least richness in their lives, but they are too humble to call it luxury. Earth people can hold grudges forever. They never ever forget. They also tend to hold on to things...being collectors of antiques, and collectable stuff. they love history, memoribilia and anything that could be considered a wise investment. They love outdoors, children and animals.

Air...air people are the logical, intellectual, organized and often obsessive compulsives. They love detecting things, figuring out puzzles, word games and anything that challenges their mind. They are great with words, communications, and writing. They make excellent secretaries...except they like working for themselves, rather than other people. Curious, and intellegent, they often have a streak of brutal honesty, and they rarely turn down a chance to debate. most of them have an arrogance in thier quick wittedness, and a membership to MENSA.

Just as a note....Air has been the least chosen stone most of the time...and Fire and Water are chosen most often...and a lot of times together, which shows a nice balance.

Spring...Spring people know how to have fun. They have a childlike wonder about everything...love to give birth to new projects (but don't always like to finish them!) They can easily balance work and play, and have an inate wisdom, that usually goes far beyond thier years or experiences. They also have a heightened sense of smell...and would be good at aromatherapy practices.

Summer....Summer people are adventurers. They are often Romantics, who have thier own rich fantasy world to draw creative inspiration from. Summer people take many risks throughout thier lives, but sometimes have a tendancy to live in the past.To them, the journey is often more important the final goal. They are often very aware of the environment, and how to preserve it. And they have a heightened sense of Hearing...they can often hear higher frequencies, or hear what has not been spoken.

Autumn....Autumn people are deliberate and have great attention to detail. They are hard workers, who try to finish everything they start, and to reap what the sow. Though some can be impatient and frustrate easily trying to achieve perfection. They are very generous people, who give much of themselves. They have a heightened sense of sight...with an artistic flair for color and design, and usually fashion as well. Autumn people love to entertain others.

Winter....Winter people are chameleons. They can easily adapt to almost any situation. These are people who really "Go with the Flow", becomming whatever they need to become. They are great mediators, bringing opposites into harmony, but they can also be stubborn, and unmovable when they want to be. They are usually good at things requiring physical dexterity, and they are very aware of the limits 9if there are any) of thier bodies. They can hide thier true natures from even thier closest friends, putting on a happy face at all times. When it comes to senses, they have taste and touch, loving all kinds of subtlty in foods and wines, and they appreciate things that are very tactile.

Next up...I will give you a few thoughts on what combinations of stones can tell you about a person!

Satori

Can I just say that half the fun of this project is the search for the stones!!
I love a quest, and this has been great fun.
My sorrow stone has gone missing...
It was a piece of blue tiger eye, which apparently did not like the idea of being the sorrow stone...
So I call upon the spirit of the the blue tiger eye and promise that if you do not want to be sorrow, I can find something else for that place...

In fact, I have a chocolate brown geode that is shaped like a teardrop inside where the crystals form.

But that would make three geodes in my set...not sure if that is favoring the geodes too much...but I have six geodes maybe more right now in my private collection.