View Single Post
Citizen

einhverfr 
The names of the Elder Futhark.

The names of the Elder Futhark are generally reconstructed using fairly technical linguistic analytical processes. One of the benefits we have with proto-Germanic is that we do have a set of inscriptions including many words (Linu, Alu, Ansuz, Ansuja, Erilaz, Runaz, etc.) with which we can further validate the names. In general, I do not trust non-linguists to this sort of work as it is fairly easy to make mistakes that invalidate the conclusions. So I am more inclined to trust the work of Thorrson/Flowers, Polome, and others with academic linguistics backgrounds than most modern writers with this regard. So unless someone can show why the linguistic derivations are wrong, then I will continue to advocate sticking to those that are generally used in academic circles.

Another interesting point has been the debate over the vowel to place where I put the underscore in *Wod_naz. What is particularly interesting here is that although *Wodanaz, we do have a helmet with an inscription *Tiwodanaz (arguably a contraction of *Tiwaz and *Wodanaz (the gods that become Tyr and Odhinn respectively).
Top   #7