Numbers

Umbrae

Numbers

The Norse/Teutonic numbering system is different than that of the Anglo-Saxon.

1. The number of beginnings of root causes and solitary force.

2. Is the number of cooperation of the redoubled working in tandem. Strength, teamwork of the gods.

3. Is a Holy Number. The three Norns, the 3 roots of Yggdrasill.

4. Is a number of stability. Solidity and waiting. Contains power. Foundations.

5. Is the number of ordered time and space, powerful invocatory formula.

6. Is the number of vibrant life and strength. Can create or destroy.

7. Is the number of death and passive contact with the other worlds.

8. Is the number of complete manifested of wholeness and perfect symmetry.

9. Is the holiest of numbers. There are nine worlds of Yggdrasill, nine nights Odin hangs and is taught the (9) rune-songs.

10. never used in Norse magic

11. never used in Norse magic

12. The great number of wholeness and being. There are 12 Gods and 12 Goddesses. 24 is the most complete number of the Norse system.

13. Is the great number of magical power. It is not a number for the unwise or weak. Thus, for the uninitiated, unlucky.

zorya

i can see a corelation between numbers 1, 2 and 3. and the three groupings of the aett (unless i'm imagining it), but i can't find any relationship between these number meanings and the meanings of the runes. did the position of the rune, as in feoh=1, uruz=2 , have any meaning?

Umbrae

There is no correlation between the Norse numbers, and the runes themselves. There are different methods of ‘casting’ runes. Some will use clumps of runes appearing together.

There is no correlation between Norse numbers and classic numerology.

ladycj

This may sound silly, but . . . if there is no correlation, then what did they use these numbers for?

Umbrae

Not silly – good question.

There is no correlation between numbers as in 1 = Fehu, 2 = Uruz etc.

In a 24-Rune cast, you would want to look at how the active runes in a layout are grouped. Are seven grouped together? Perhaps three groups of four… These have meaning.

Numbers are used in Norse/Teutonic Shamanism and Magic.

I am still resisting discussing Bindrunes and Galdr-Magic, I think we shall wait until much later. Magic of the Runae is not to be taken in a casual manner.

Edited to add: If you are not fully prepared for doing Runic Magic, it can snap your butt and/or scare the bejeezus out of ya.

Makes that drawing circles and raising the devil look like Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood.

ladycj

Okay, so if you cast your runes, and you get 4 clumps of 3 stones, what would be the interpretation on that? Is it number of stones in the clumps themselves? or the number of times that happens in one cast? Or do you look at both?

Thanks.

Umbrae

Well now, traditional numerology does not exist in Runae.

It is different. Many authors would present Facts with no historical basis (in other words there are no facts). The most learned Rune experts state it thusly (to paraphrase two outside sources) – experience dictates.

Rune meanings and aspects are not left-brained. They do not fit into a nice neat little box. Nothing pigeonholes well. There is no exactitude.

The question is a really good one – because it is essentially – unanswerable (But the answer is looking for you).

Everything would depend on the runes. Are they clumps are facedown runes? Are you reading facedown as a merkstave or not? Are they all face up? Do they form tributaries off main lines? Are the tributaries at acute or obtuse angels? If the entire cast is showing up in distinct clusters of fours and nothing else you had damn well better be paying attention!

Turn off the left-brain. Turn off the stereo. Un-plug.

Do they speak to you?

Ultimately, when casting runes, you pay attention to everything…but…

You need to learn to listen with your eyes…and see with your heart.

Here is an exercise. Blindfold yourself and turn out the lights. Cast your runes. With a small tape recorder, do your reading. When finished, turn the lights on and see how you did. Yeah, I know it sounds silly…it is because we are taught to think, to reason…and there is no way to ‘see’. So practice…after awile…you will understand…

You will hear that which speaks, without a voice…Ansuz…

ladycj

Thank you, I'm definately a left-brainer. I tend to forget sometimes to relax that side of myself while I'm studing these things. I just go into academic mode and forget about the "spirit" of the reading. I do much better when I'm giving a reading for someone else, then I go to intuitive mode, and I seem to do real well.

Thanks

Umbrae

Do the exercise.

Not with your own twist...

Just the way it is laid out.

ladycj

But I don't know the meanings real well. . . I take it the point is to get the answers from within? I'll give it a try. I need to go pick up some runes soon. Thanks.