Mexican Tarot?? Loteria deck

Tongodiva

Mexican Tarot??

Hi hi, this is just a curiousity question :) If you've ever lived in Mexico or are of Mexican lineage ( I'm not really sure if this applies to other latin american countries, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance on this point :) ) then you know of the Loteria.

The loteria is a game we play. I call it mexican bingo. Usually there's a card that you play that has sixteen different symbols on it ( 4x4 ). You designate how the win will be determined, usually its if you get four across or four diagonal, four in the center, or one in each corner. Different families have their own house rules and it's a lot of fun. Now here is where I make my point. ;)

The deck is 54 cards, starting with the rooster and ending with the frog. It has also the star, the moon, the earth, the lady, the gentleman, and other variety of symbols on it. When I look at the deck, which is pretty much ingrained in my head since I've played loteria since I had reason, I can't help but think of a tarot deck. There are striking similarities and after all the game is called La Loteria, or The Lottery, so my question is:

Has anyone ever used the Loteria deck as a divination device? If so what have been your experiences with it? :)

Learning and Learning - Tongodiva

Tongodiva

Thanks A :)

Cool insight! and here i thought i was all original! ;) I'm interested to see what results have come of using the Loteria deck as a divination deck :) I've been tempted to use it too :)

Annabelle

Thanks for sharing the link to pictures, Tongodiva!! :)

Living in Texas for as long as I have, I don't know how I've managed to never hear about Loteria cards before . . . but I can definitely see how they could be used as an oracle deck! I'll have to look around for one of these decks sometime soon.

Edited to add: Tongodiva, in the interest of not getting the thread too far off track (and thus attracting the attention of a moderator), I'm sending you a PM to answer the questions you just asked me :).

Tongodiva

Yee Haw :)

Whereabout in Tx are you A? I'm in Good Ole Alamo Country (that's San Antonio for those that don't know ;) )

If you have too much trouble finding them I might be able to find a deck for you and snail mail it over if you're really interested in it :)

Let me know! :)

Texas Tornado - T.

Quizeen

Wow, I'm so glad you brought this up Tongodiva. I've always loved Loteria, not to play per se, but just to look at. I've been collecting Loteria cards, books, etc. forever, long before I ever discovered Tarot. They certainly always had a vague connection in my mind.

I'm going to check out those other threads. :)

Tongodiva

Np Qz!

Always happy to oblige :)

Ring the Bell! - T.

Abrac

I saw some of these the other day. They reminded me so much of tarot cards. I had never seen anything like them, so I asked the salesperson what they were and she explained them to me. Neat cards!

-fof