Planet Series: The SUN & MARS

dadsnook2000

Mars is an outer planet. From the point of view of those on Earth, Mars seems to make its zodiac journey independently of the Sun. Yet, all of the planets depend upon the Sun to provide a core framework of meaning and reference. The Sun-Mars relationship, for us here on Earth, constitutes several attributes:
** Vigor and energy
** The will to live and experience life
** Courage, fight to survive and grown, to assert ones will
** Achievement through one's own efforts and work
** Strain and stress, upsets, anger

Mars is one of those planets who effects upon us personally are easy to recognize. There is no tenderness in Mar's symbology. Mars most often seems to be up close and personal. Since Mars and the Sun seem to both have a fire-based heritage, their workings within us and around us are so often seen in terms of aspectual triggers. We can use signs and houses to describe these two but aspects and phases seem so much more obvious to spot and use. This thread will pursue some of those avenues of curiousity. Those who still have thoughts on other, earlier threads are free to post there even though this thread will start soon. Dave

dadsnook2000

Sun-Mars: the cycle of expression and being

The Sun and Mars relationship paints a picture of our personal expression and means of being ourselves within our world. For awhile, I'd like to explore some of the phase relationships between these two astrological bodies much like what was done in the Sun-Moon series. Later, we will look at the list participants charts and add the House meanings into our comments.

PERFORMER PHASE: 0 to 45 degrees.
This phase is all thouse things that early-studies students assign to the the meaning of Sun-in-Aries. This is the primal fighter, the one who throws himself or herself into life's experience with exhuberance, the downhill skier throwing himself down hill in a rush and launching out into the air. Think of these people as prime examples of this phase relationship:
** Dale Ernhardt, 6 degrees, NACAR race driver killed in a car crash recently
** Ralph Nadar, 10 degrees, consumer advocate
** Joan of Arc, 16 degrees, religous martyr
** Cindy Sheehan, 24 degrees, peace activist
** Two contrasting figures, Adolph Hitler, 16 degrees and Gandhi, 40 degrees
** Yassar Arafat, 30 degrees, Osama Bin Ladin, 18 degrees (various dates)
Aspects in this phase: Conjunction, semi-sextile, sem-square.

WORKER PHASE: 45 to 90 degrees.
This group seems bent on finding unique ways to use their energies, to change what was into something new. They seem to have to stand out in some way as a result of their struggles to assert themselves.
** Another Osama Bin Ladin chart, 66 degrees
** Caesar Chavez, 70 degrees, activist leader for Mexican laborers in the US.
** Venus Williams, 81 degrees, one of two sisters in the world of tennis.
Aspects in this phase: semi-square, sextile, square.

ACTIVIST PHASE: 90 to 135 degrees.
This phase has an urge to act, to be, to personally demonstrate their skills and level of energy. While the first PERFORMER phase lives in a perpetual flow of crises-events, the ACTIVIST phase person picks battles to prove themselves and to achieve certain goals.
** Huhammid Ali, 96 degrees, prize fighter.
Aspects in this phase: Opening Square, Trine, Sesquiquadrate

ANALYST PHASE: 135 to 180 degrees.
These people bring an increasing skill set to their activities, always seeking improvement and new approaches to winning in their struggles to be. First one approach to life, then anothr approach to life as if they were writing different chapers in their book of life.
** Tiger Woods, 159 degrees, world famous golfer, starting at an early age.
** John Kerry, 172 degrees, politician, war hero.
** Martin Luther King, 146 degrees, civil rights activist and cause leader.
** Jimmy Carter, 137 degrees, naval officer (atomic subs), politician, leader of various peace initiatives.
Aspects in this phase: Sesquiquadrate, Inconjunct.

SEEKER PHASE: 180 to 225 degrees.
This phase signifies one who is very aware of his/her impact on others, on the use and effect of force, of how to bully or lead others. On the one hand we have our will and sense of self, on the other hand we have some form of ability to project that will in a way that has physical imapct (direct or indirect) on others. This phase can watch and learn, react, or just plunge into a "wrecking" mode.
** Saddam Hussein, 207 degrees, dictator and politician in Iraq
Aspects in this phase: Opposition, Inconjuct, Sequiquadrate

BELIEVER PHASE: 225 to 270 degrees.
This "Honest Man" phase, with the Sun and Mars involved, portrays one who acts within his/her own value system in terms of expressing themselves and making their way in the world. While the Sun can be frank and honest in its workings, Mars can't be trusted. Actions sometimes seem inconsistent with ones character or stated prupose -- usually one learns and adjusts quickly to life and other's reluctance to just stand by.
** Slobadan Milosevic, 234 degrees
Aspects in this phase: Sesquiduadrate, Trine, Closing Square

CHANGER PHASE: 270 to 315 degrees.
In this phase, it seems the Sun and Mars have better learned to manage their paired engergies. This is a leadership position, a means/skill/ability to inspire others by ones own efforts and achievements. Because of the power of these two astrological bodies, inspire and lead may be overly mild words. Perhaps the words urge, show, or do-this might be better.
** Serena Williams, 312 degrees, one of two sister tennis stars.
** Ruth Westhiemer, 300 degrees, grandmother who counsels others on sex issues.
Aspects in this phase: Closing square, Sextile, Closing Semi-square

PRHOPHET PHASE:, 315 to 360 degrees.
This is the giving up one life and moving to another life significator. Three names that I quickly came up with having this phase in their charts have all achieved fame or position in one arena and then moved on to seek something different in their lives. How they move towards a "new them" is, as it is for all of us, very personal and unique -- there is no pattern to transformation it seems. One characteristic seems to be that one uses past abilities in some way to bring about new situations.
** Wesley Clark, 349 degrees, NATO commander, hopeful politician.
** John McCain, 334 degrees, Viet Nam General, POW, polititican.
** Ariel Sharon, 327 degrees, Israli General, polititian.
Aspects in this phase: Closing semi-square, semi-sextile, conjunction

Now, I have no book that I use for reference for these statements. I use just the basic phase meanings, the meanings of the Sun and Mars and how I can imagine them merging, the nature of the people that have these phases in their charts, and a lot of experience.

At this point, we should consider the Sun and Mars in our own chart, the phase and/or aspect that might be in effect, and the way each of them can express themselves in terms of the house they are in. So, those who wish to talk about their charts, we will focus on:
1) Sun-Mars Phase or tight aspect and how you thing that works out for you.
2) Sun & its house, Mars & its house and how both work together.

I look forward to talking with each of you.
Meanwhile, my Sun-Mars Phase is the PROPHET PHASE with 30 degrees of seperation. Sun in the 4th house, Mars in the 3rd house seems to suggest, for me, a person who pursues his own will and finds ways to communicate or write about what he knows, believes or has discovered. Sure, along with this at points in my life, there as been arguements, agressiveness, strong willed pursuit of aims, the use of writings and graphics to gain attention and make a point. Dave.

prudence

uuhh, my sun is at 0 degrees Pisces, in the 12th house and my mars is at 19 degrees aries, in 1st house. So, does this mean the separation is 41 degrees? The Performer phase. I do enjoy a downhill rush, but must admit to being terrified the entire time. That's what makes it fun. I do also charge headlong into things, literally and metaphorically. BUt am not really sure I have done the math correctly. ;)

WhiteRaven

I am also a Prophet Phase with this as well. With this aspect in my 9th house (both Sun and Mars), this would touch on my Spiritual views and would affect my 10th house (according to the descriptions at astro.com). What this means in regards to another piece of the "1800" pieces to this puzzle of mine, I don't know.

I have a program that I use and this is what it says about the Sun Conjunt Mars...it may or may not be of interest for folks with this Prophet Phase, and I myself can relate to some but not all of what it says....but I thought it might be interesting to add.

Born fighter, innate need to conquer.
Self confidence.
Ambition, need to succeed, to reach the summit, to be the number
one.
The Sun stands for the heart, Mars for the will and action; the
combination gives the ability to really put one's heart into what
one is doing. It also introduces drive into the very core of
oneself.
Will power: if they want it, they can make it happen - regardless.
Direction and directness.
*The leader character:
Mars' fire enhances the leadership qualities of the Sun.
Need to shine, to be the number one.
Radiating authority.
Can be extremely sure of himself/herself, and thus command respect.
Good at making choices and decisions and discerning a direction,
even in complicated situations.
*Need for perfection and the absolute.
*Hot blood
Sun-Mars is the most fiery of all planetary combinations.
This aspect is therefore one for passion, hot emotions.
Possible flares of anger and aggressiveness.
Need to learn to control oneself. And even more: need to learn to
relax. If one was to learn to control through more tension, then the
results could only be detrimental, both for the psyche and for the
body.
*The need to relax:
There may well be more will power than the body can cope with. This
means the person has enough drive to keep themselves going even if
their system is tired. Even if one can cope with much more than
average people, in the long run pushing too far could bring an
exhaustion of one's resources.
There is a need to take care of one's (physical) heart and to
regularly check one's blood pressure.
*Working on yourself:
As there is a high potential of will and fire, you must regularly
ask yourself "What I am doing with it?" As a genie out of its
bottle, such will potential cannot remain unused. If it does not
work for you, it will work against you. There is the need to find a
focus for your will, a direction. Without it, there will always be
the feeling of a major emptiness in your life.
However, the Sun and Mars together usually find a purpose to set
themselves in movement. There is therefore an even greater pitfall -
being caught in hard work and fighting to achieve something which
will not bring you real satisfaction in the end. This calls for a
lot of sincerity, and the capacity to discern if your thirst for
achieving comes from the deepest of yourself, or just from a
character. With a Sun-Mars major aspect, there is bound to be an
ambitious character inside you. This character may well have
dictated its choices at times, and propelled you into seeking wealth
and power, or anything else, just in order to satisfy its own
desires.
As you grow up spiritually and your life motivation becomes more
refined, it is essential to periodically reassess whether your
efforts are driven by a 'thirst-for-success' character.

stardancer

I think I'm a 224.06 degrees which is Seeker Phase:

180 to 225 degrees. This phase signifies one who is very aware of his/her impact on others, on the use and effect of force, of how to bully or lead others. On the one hand we have our will and sense of self, on the other hand we have some form of ability to project that will in a way that has physical imapct (direct or indirect) on others. This phase can watch and learn, react, or just plunge into a "wrecking" mode.

My Mars and Sun are 135.54 degrees Sequiquadrate aspect.

I think I resemble the above. I am actually painfully aware of what other are thinking and feeling, to the point it makes me uncomfortable at times. I think it's exacerbated by the fact that Mars is in Pisces and the Sun is conjunct Neptune. I also have noticed the projecting onto others, and having a great impact. Most of the time I prefer to keep to myself and watch and learn. I usually don't like the responsibility of being too responsible for others behaviors, although if everyone just stands around, I have a tendency to sigh explosively and take over. I'm very independent and expect others to be the same, yet I have noticed the leader creep out. It's almost like a devil takes over. I have to stand back and go... "Whoa, dude!"

Plunge into a wrecking mode? LOL, suddenly and absolutely.

Dave, this almost sounds like a good thing for an actor to have.

dadsnook2000

Replies . . .

For Astrid O. Your degrees of seperation is 49 degrees -- 30 degrees for Pisces and another 19 degrees into Aries, a total of 49 which puts you into the Worker Phase.

For Stardancer. You degree measurement puts you right at the boundary area, so you need to consider yourself as transitioning into the Believer Phase. You have the best and the worst of both. What houses are your Sun and Mars in and how do you interprete those?

For White Raven. You can indeed consider all of those things for the Sun-Mars meanings. The problem is how do you take all of the great amount of detail and combine it with similar large amounts of detail about a lot of other stuff and come up with an understanding of what you are looking at? If we go back to just what the Prophet Phase says, we focus on a few key ideas:
--- giving up one life and moving to another life significator --- achieving in one arena and then moving on to seek something different --- one uses past abilities in some way to bring about new situations.

You blend this with the 9th house meanings and you might consider moving into another line of study, applying learned information to new fields of study, or helping others in different fields of endeavor. Of course, this is only one aspect of your chart.

Dave

prudence

dadsnook2000 said:
For Astrid O. Your degrees of seperation is 49 degrees -- 30 degrees for Pisces and another 19 degrees into Aries, a total of 49 which puts you into the Worker Phase.

For Stardancer. You degree measurement puts you right at the boundary area, so you need to consider yourself as transitioning into the Believer Phase. You have the best and the worst of both. What houses are your Sun and Mars in and how do you interprete those?

For White Raven. You can indeed consider all of those things for the Sun-Mars meanings. The problem is how do you take all of the great amount of detail and combine it with similar large amounts of detail about a lot of other stuff and come up with an understanding of what you are looking at? If we go back to just what the Prophet Phase says, we focus on a few key ideas:
--- giving up one life and moving to another life significator --- achieving in one arena and then moving on to seek something different --- one uses past abilities in some way to bring about new situations.

You blend this with the 9th house meanings and you might consider moving into another line of study, applying learned information to new fields of study, or helping others in different fields of endeavor. Of course, this is only one aspect of your chart.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I was adding 11 instead of 19, to 30...seeks to use their energy in unique ways, and still an uncool association with Osama.

Seeks to use energy in unique ways...I guess I do this with my sculpting, as I do have an ulterior motive (a spiritually based one) when I create pieces, especially the ones that have gone to be sold in stores.

When you say at the end "aspects in this phase, semi square,sextile, square", what do you mean? The only aspects my mars has ( I think) are a trine to my moon and to my MC.

dadsnook2000

For Astrid O

When I refer to "aspects" I'm talking about the classical aspects that might occur for some when their Sun-Mars phase is in a particular phase. However, not everyone has Mars in an aspect to the Sun -- which is why it is helpful to understand "phases." For this narrow discussion, I am not considering aspects to other planets from the Sun or from Mars. Dave

stardancer

dadsnook2000 said:

Dave

http://www.keanutude.com/Images/MyChart.gif

Here is my chart. The Sun is in the first (Aries/Mars house, lol) and Mars is in the 5th (Sun's house), conjunct the 6th.

BELIEVER PHASE: 225 to 270 degrees.
This "Honest Man" phase, with the Sun and Mars involved, portrays one who acts within his/her own value system in terms of expressing themselves and making their way in the world. While the Sun can be frank and honest in its workings, Mars can't be trusted. Actions sometimes seem inconsistent with ones character or stated prupose -- usually one learns and adjusts quickly to life and other's reluctance to just stand by.

This, too. My actions *do* seem at cross purpose for me sometimes. It's very frustrating. Too many directions and multi consequences, which do I choose? So there is a thinking through of what action to take, and what each action will bring. I think I'm a pretty good strategist. It's just getting to the point of understanding all the outcomes possible. But then the thinking may start to become muddied and you have to draw the line and do something. Like I said before, sometimes the demon just says to heck with it and goes for it. (The Mars that can't be trusted). This is exhilarating. I find creative and mental endeavors more conducive to my Sun and Mars, rather than physical confrontations like Mars is apt to describe, even though I took a few martial arts classes once and found the physical combined with spititual aspect therapeutic. Chasing around all those spiderbots is good release to rethink things through with a fresh mind. Sun and Mars are in fire houses, yet with Mars conjuncting the 6th, I need the physical aspect for health reasons. Not that everyone shouldn't be active, but I have so much mental energy at times, the release is good. I have developed a writer's habit of talking things through outloud. My mother told me I used to have invisible friends. :eek:) I am always very quick to adjust myself to others under good circumstances, and even under pressure when I feel I understand the situation. But I tend to clam up or say something out of left field under circumstances where I suddenly feel ill at ease. Then I tend to plant my feet and bend in the wind if I have to.

SirenRising

love these threads...

Ok, i'm not sure if my sun is in the 6th or 5th (virgo)... i did my chart on astro.com. Anyway, when i pick koch, my sun is in the 5th; with placidus, it's a 6th house sun: so, which house system? By the way, my 4th house mars in cancer... never «changes».