Favorite Marseilles based styles?

jema

i have the fournier Marsielle deck. it was the only deck around when i started out in my little town. i don't hear much about the fournier deck at all - it is still counted as a Marsielle is it not?
i think it is a beautiful deck and for many years it was the only one i had but even though i used it so much the cards are still in excellent shape = good card-stock:)

Kaz

jema, can you show us some scans of your deck?

kaz

jema

Kaz said:
jema, can you show us some scans of your deck?

kaz

Hi Kaz
don't got a scanner - but just found a link at Wicce for it:
http://www.wicce.com/fourniermar.html
she gives it a very good review too:)
(but she fails to see the beauty in the backs, hrmpf!)

it says it is "fairly consistent with older styling" so i think i might follow your threads in here anyway:)

jmd

The Fournier Marseilles has been mentioned at some stage in the past in one of the Forums, but I cannot remember where.

Fournier remains, as far as I am aware, the main Spanish Tarot publisher, and its Marseilles decks definitely are Marseilles type decks.

As jema mentioned, the older cards are printed on good quality stock, and remains, for many people, a preferred Marseilles rendition because, partly, of its 'soft' tones and non-flat colouring.

As a Marseilles deck missing from my collection, and given jema's experience with it, I look foward to reading her comments on individual cards.

Pollux

My 1st post in this Study Group - Woo hoo!

Some premises before I speak:
- I don't have a Marseille deck right now (I used to have one that I burnt... *LOL* another thread...), so I will simply read the posts, and make some questions where the presence of the cards online lets me do it. Unuckily I can't contribute like you do.
- I am enjoying this Study Group SO MUCH!!!! I don't know why, but REALLY LOVE IT!!! IT IS GREAT!!!
- I have set up my wish list: Camoin, Fournier, Soprafino (as I wrote them)

Here we go now. I am posting here because, even though I am follownig the discussion, I am a bit confused by the links, and I have some questions.

1) I found this link, through wicce I think.
The TAROT of MARSEILLE restored by Ph. CAMOIN and A. JODOROWSKY
Well, this deck ROCKS!!!! Is this the "Camoin" you are referring too in this and the other posts? I think it will be the first i get, and it is the one I like best, absolutely yes. I love the colours, not too contrasting, not too "blending", and the width of the lines is just perfect. I think it is different from the one on Aeclectic... that one has too strong colours. But I will check again.
I hope you can help me understand WHICH one this is. THANK YOU!

2) On Jema's link, even though the actual picture of wicce is named fournier-something and so is the link to the page, under the title you can read "Camoin Edition". My interpretation is that Fournier is the publisher, and Camoin the artist. Am I right? For the "Camoin", instead, both are Camoin. I only want to be sure I am understanding what I am supposed to, and understand what deck we talk about...

THANK YOU !!! :* :* :*

Pollux

oops *slaps himself*

myself said:
1) I found this link, through wicce I think.
The TAROT of MARSEILLE restored by Ph. CAMOIN and A. JODOROWSKY
Well, this deck ROCKS!!!! Is this the "Camoin" you are referring too...
Well, I double checked and found out that it is the same in Aeclectic, the one jmd linked to. Only that the images on the site look... warmer. The colours are less faded and bright.
Definitely my first marseille deck.

jmd

Pollux, the link jema gives connects to a review for the Camoin, which then links to Fournier images!

Glad, by the way, you have decided to join the discussions... even if you are the cause of 100 new Marseilles decks in existence ;)!

LaLaBella

Ugh! It's all your fault :D I now have a Camoin on the way...I'm such a lemming :rolleyes:

ihcoyc

My favourite vaguely Marseille style deck is the Paris Tarot, a reproduction deck from Grimaud. It duplicates a seventeenth century deck in the Bibliotheque Nationale in France. The book says that it is the oldest printed deck in existence for which we have all the cards.

Since that is no longer in print, I tend now to save it for special. I do my day to day readings with the Ancient Tarots of Lombardy. I have a Classical Tarots on order as well that struck me as somewhat more nearly Marseille than the Lombardy deck, though.

Maan

Whow is this decks Out Of Print?
I just bought it in france on my holliday in the museum in Nimes...And i really like the deck..my first historical one :)