Planets-In-Aspect Series: Mars

dadsnook2000

As a change of pace, I thought I'd initiate a new kind of thread that focuses upon another factor in Astrological Chart Reading. Planets-In-Aspect will focus on one particular planet, in this thread it is Mars, and any aspect that the participants in this list have in their charts.

Because of this approach, the individual postings are likely to range all over the planetary spectrum, dealing with each of the planets, each of the classical aspects (conjunction, opposition, trine, square, sextile, semi-square and sesquiquadrate, inconjunct) and perhaps the orbs used. This free-for-all format will not cover things in any order! If this proves too chaotic, I'll follow a more structured approach in the next series.

GUIDELINES FOR THIS THREAD

1) When you state what planet or planets aspect Mars, note the aspect name and the closeness of the aspect (orb of influence), as well as the house that the planet is in.

Example: I have Mars at 22-10 Leo, 3rd house, inconjunct Saturn at 18-57 Pisces, 10th house -- an orb of 3-13. This wide orb works because of other factors.

2) If two or more planets aspect Mars, note the aspect name and closeness of the aspect for each planet.

Example: I have Mars at 22-10 Leo, 3rd house, inconjunct Saturn at 18-57 Pisces, 10th house -- an orb of 3-13. I have Mercury at 15-38 Libra in the 5th house -- an orb of 3-16. This places Saturn at the mid-point of Mars and Mercury within an orb of 0-02 which seems to activate the inconjunct as well as the mid-point structure. I also have Venus at 12-00 Libra in the 5th conjunct Mercury with a 3-38 orb, so this ties Venus into the double inconjunct or "yod" pattern as well. Since this yod and mid-point or so potent, it is likely that Mars and Mercury/Venus will act as if in a "sextile" aspect even though the Mars-Mercury orb would be 6-32 wide.

3) Note your assessment of the pattern so that others can both learn from your experience of your Mars-to-Planet-pattern as well as offer their comments and questions. This will make this thread a more open and sharing forum than the Planet-Series threads where I had to take the lead in discussing each factor. I think this will be more fun.

Example of my assessment and experience: Mars and Saturn seem to indicate some forethought and hesitancy before I take any action or repond to someone's suggestion -- Mars = Go, Saturn = Stop. When I do undertake some action it involves a strategy and a plan for success. Mars in the 3rd house suggests methods of communicating or involving others, while Saturn in the 10th house suggests that my goals and reputation are always put on the line. Mercury in the 5th (with Venus) points to creativity and balance in thought -- this "inconjuncting" Saturn requires pre-thought in what is said, how it is said, or a form of precision and refinement. The effect of acting like a sextile to Mars just enchances the communication and expression of these planets and they seem to result in a focus on continuous creativity projects. I have always been a "designer" or "artist" or "writer" of some sort thoughout my working career and retirement -- at this point I'm operating the Tarot Pride Workshop website and teaching children in the local schools both chess and robotics. A further note: whenever Saturn transits Mars or Mercury I seem to undertake a new creative project.

4) Be yourself when you offer your own examples. Don't try to "live up to" anyone elses manner or sophistication of interpretation. Be as brief or as extensive as you wish. If you have an aspect but cannot calculate the orb of seperation or don't know how to interpret the Mars-related pattern just say so and others will offer suggestions -- but you should feel obligated to offer feedback in that case.

Have fun. Dave.

isthmus nekoi

My Mars is in Aquarius, 1st house

- conj Aquarius ASC, almost 1 degree
- trine Libra/8th Jupiter/Saturn, 8 degrees
- square Libra Pluto, 8 degrees (house depends on house system)
- sextile Scorpio 10th Uranus/MC, 4 and 6 degrees respectively

I could say a lot of things about my Mars but the most salient features for me are:

- Endurance. Esp considering the fixed sign and square to Pluto.
- Swift and decisive reaction to crisis, physical or emotional. Almost an inexaustible amount of energy in such times. Even in mundane times, I have an abnormally quick reaction-decision time (I learned this when I was a test subject for perceptual/cognitive psychology tests at my school). I relate this to the Jupiter, Pluto and Uran contacts.
- On a related note, impatience! Mars sextile Uran. But the Saturn means I am okay with waiting. For ages.
- Very high physical/emotional pain tolerance.
- Insensitivity: the opposite of someone w/Neptune in 1st. I have very strong boundaries, not easily influenced by others, and it's difficult to empathize.
- Egocentric. Conviction in self. Stubborness. Defiance. Fixed sign again.
- Very strong self/impulse control despite an attraction to violence, speed, sex and assorted Mars goodies. Saturn's influence (ruler of Aqu) makes for a highly disciplined nature.
- As Lilly predicted, w/Mars conj ASC, I have suffered from head trauma.

[edit: added planetary explanations]

dadsnook2000

For isthmus nekoi

Planets conjunct the Ascendant are allways fascinating to study. The older text books used to give us all kinds of physical appearance characteristics. For Mars/Ascendant we are supposed to exhibit a ruddy complexion, perhaps the famous Aries eyebrows and strong nose similar to Tom Cruise, wear Red and rust colors, be of a sturdy physique but not overly tall, thin or fat, be quick and pugnacious acting, etc., etc., etc.

I think you represent well, from your description the Mars-Pluto aspect and the head trauma is quite appropriate. Can you offer any elaboration on the trine to Saturn and Jupiter or is this somewhat overshadowed or blended in with the Mars and Pluto stuff? Dave

stardancer

I've got an active Mars.

Mar/Moo 65°48’ Sextile Wide
Mar/Sun 135°54’ Sesquare Close
Mar/Mer 150°18’ Quincunx Exact
Mar/Ven 176°13’ Opposite Close
Mar/Jup 172°04’ Opposite Wide
Mar/Sat 102°51’ Bi-Septile Exact
Mar/Ura 142°49’ Bi-Quintile Wide
Mar/Nep 133°52’ Sesquare Wide
Mar/Plu 166°04’
Mar/Asc 149°59’ Quincunx Exact
Mar/MC 122°26’ Trine Close

MC squares the Moon/Mars midpoint.
Venus squares the Mars/Jupiter Opposition (I count exact squares to the midpoint, too, although it may be redundant in some cases).
Mars' exact sesquare is at the midpoint of the Sun/Neptune conjunction.

This is how I look at my own aspect in order of reading since it's a bit involved...

1.Mars opposite Venus/Jupiter, sextile Moon, trine MC.
2.Mars Quincunx Mercury/Ascendant (remembering that Mars sextile the Moon and that the Moon, in turn, is exactly Bi-Quintile to Mercury/Ascendant, while Mars is also in a wide Bi-Quintile to Uranus.
3. Mars Sesquare Sun/Neptune.
4. Mars Bi-Septile Saturn.

Mars Opposite Venus/Jupiter isn't easy on my love life. I tend to be too aggressive, or alternately too passive, in my dealings. While I probably can 'get the guy' most of the time, the question is whether I can or even want to keep him. This creates a very turbulent love life. I've been married three times. It seems I can't have anything too nice and easy, I'd rather do battle, kiss and make up, then start all over again, even though I swear never again, lol.

Mars is in the 5th approaching the 6th and Venus/Jupiter is conjunct the 12th. I have a tenderncy to have secret relationships and I *can* keep a secret, even though I am a woman. ;) By the opposite token, when I work, I work hard and fast. The signs are the last thing I read. The opposition is in Pisces/Virgo.

I can pinpoint why I think an exact, so-called minor, aspect is important. Quintiles are said to be indicative of creativity and talents. Moon and Mercury are indicative of writing, and I have always wanted to be an author. With a bit of discipline (Saturn), I am confident I can get published. ;) As a matter of fact, it's something I've been trying for, for a little over a year now. That is, I'm writing and researching, preparing for the day I have a ready manuscript. I once thought to write a few astrology manuals (maybe the Mars/Uranus Bi-Quintile), but at this point, I'd rather do fiction.

Mars sesquare to the Sun/Neptune is like a mini square (as is the Mars Quincunx Mercury). Do, do, do. Go, go, go. Create, create. It's not easy, I tend to walk over things and people, especially if they are too slow, although if it's apparently a deal to them, I will be sensitive and apologize. And I can adapt if I understand the rules. Everything depends. Maybe it's the Pisces nature of being very fluid. I feel fluid a lot of the times, which makes me mysterious I suppose, but maybe, really just persnickity and bitchy, lol. Depends on your POV.

Speaking of Pisces Mars and my Neptune conjunction (which are like first cousins - any conjunction to the Sun is extremely important), I am empathetic to the point it gets to where I have to back off and be by myself to regroup. When you are radaring in on every emotion in the room, it gets very taxing. I've had several strong psychic experiences and tend to hear what others are going to say on occassion before they say it. If I am tuned into them, that is. I try to stay tuned out for the most part. When I was in a Tai Chi class, they used me for a guinea pig on whether the other person could 'send' to me. I would stand with my back to class and raise my hand when someone pointed at me and concentrated throwing their 'chi' force. Eyes in the back of the head, be aware of your surroundings and such. Things you find in martial arts.

Mars. I am attracted to men that are the 'Aries/Pisces' axis: (Aries is in my 7th house) independent, alpha male, creative, sensitive. You see the problem? What man is sensitive and alpha at the same time? I've found one. :) My Sun squares his Venus/Mars conjunction. His Sun squares my Venus/Mars opposition. Our moons are conjunct. I have a torrid (not an affair, but the vibes are there) relationship with this man and he's not my husband. My husband is alpha, but he has an Aquarian bent to him where he's more a humanitarian sensitive, rather than creative or emotionally sensitive. My husband isn't creative at all.

My Mars, you practically have to read my whole chart when looking at my Mars, lol. Maybe f anyone had a specific question, I could pinpoint something other better and we'd both learn a thing or two. You know the old saying - two minds better than one.

(oofda, btw, I call the 135 degree SESQUI-QUADRATE, a 's'esquare'. Say that other word 10 times. Who the heck can pronounce that!) :p

SirenRising

Hello. I've taken this from astro.com, so i don't know the orbs or the degrees:

Mars in Cancer in the 4th
Opposition Midheaven
Mars Square Ascendant
Mars Square Pluto
Moon Trine Mars
Mars Trine Uranus
Sun Sextile Mars
Venus Sextile Mars
Mars Sextile Saturn

At the moment i don't have any astrology program cracked but, when i did, it calculated the Mars inconjunct Neptune aspect... if i'm right.

I'm not an astrology student...

What i feel about all this aspects, specially the pluto squaring, is that, sometimes, i can't control my impulses: when i'm determined to do something, i'll do it. Also, i'm very agressive and react very bad to frustration. I would say that i'm «primal» (primate) 8)... patience is a virtude i only have due to chemicals.

dadsnook2000

For SirenRising

Permit me to point out that isthmus nekoi also has a Mars square Pluto aspect. Your square is within a degree of exactness, so it would tend to have some strength -- especially since its in angular houses. We can cite several ways in which this aspect might play out in general terms:

** A strong and forceful nature.
** Agressive over following ones desires.
** Bullying or not heeding other's responses to you.
** Argumentative. Your temper may lead to embarassment later.
** Abusive when crossed or frustrated.
** A need to be rational and not emotional so as to counter these strong aspects of your personality.
** Enthusiastic about any new or emotional event.

When considering any of these standard observations about Mars square Pluto, you need to balance this with your Moon/ASC opposition to Venus/Satrun (and widely, also the Sun) and that opposition being square to Neptune. This very significant t-square in your chart is the primary "driver" of your chart and is fueled by the Mars-Pluto factor.

If we start with the t-square we get: moodiness, tendancy to be seduced easily, often misguided feelings of love, an unhappy or unusual love experience, periods of melancholy, lack of confidence. Then, when we add in the Mars-Pluto energy we have a series of opposite factors. All of this tends to make for a complex personality -- someone of high drama and passion, great expectations and periods of exhileration which alternate with withdrawal and deep periods of quietude and retreat. You probably experience life on a series of highs and lows -- somewhat like what a manic-depressive nature might suggest. This could manifest as a lifestyle that is compartmentalized into distinct segments where each aspect of your personality can have its time in the Sun, so to speak.

I wish to remind everyone that we all have complexities in our charts and that as we grow older and gain experience we find ways to adapt and include all or most aspects into our personalities. Symbols always look for as many ways to express themselves as possible. So, we surprise ourselves as we move thru life. Also, transits tend to bring new mixtures of these aspect patterns into our lives so that we can have experiences that allow us to modify these energies into more beneficial expressions.

So, some astrology interpretations can start off with a unsettling meaning or tone to them, but we all are adaptive and interactive creatures and we tend to find successful ways of enriching our lives along these symbolic meanings.
Thank you for sharing. Dave

huredriel

OK, here goes

Mars in Leo at 08-51 (House 9)

Now there are no major aspects listed in the portrait section at astro ....... so I'm thinking that the planets below will have an important part to play as:

Also have my Moon (Cancer) in House 9, but also my Leo Sun (26-31) is in House 10, as is my Mercury (Virgo 8-12), Venus (Virgo 13-00) and Jupiter (Virgo 11-57) ... Leo also rules my MC at 14-04

I've also had a look at the natal chart (which I really am not sure how to *read*) ....... and all I can see on there is a little tiny dotted line connecting to Jupiter I think.

So from this would say that my Mars, direction and energy ...... is pretty much free-flowing ...... as in if I really want to go and do something, get something ........ I just do it, nothing much to hold me back ...... stubborn and determined too, especially where relationships (Venus) and communication (Mercury) are concerned?

Ummm, having Cancer in House 9 as well ...... could this mean that once my emotions get involved, they get full reign?

Am I on the right track at all?

SirenRising

dadsnook2000 said:
If we start with the t-square we get: moodiness, tendancy to be seduced easily, often misguided feelings of love, an unhappy or unusual love experience, periods of melancholy, lack of confidence. Then, when we add in the Mars-Pluto energy we have a series of opposite factors. All of this tends to make for a complex personality -- someone of high drama and passion, great expectations and periods of exhileration which alternate with withdrawal and deep periods of quietude and retreat. You probably experience life on a series of highs and lows -- somewhat like what a manic-depressive nature might suggest. This could manifest as a lifestyle that is compartmentalized into distinct segments where each aspect of your personality can have its time in the Sun, so to speak.

I wish to remind everyone that we all have complexities in our charts and that as we grow older and gain experience we find ways to adapt and include all or most aspects into our personalities. Symbols always look for as many ways to express themselves as possible. So, we surprise ourselves as we move thru life. Also, transits tend to bring new mixtures of these aspect patterns into our lives so that we can have experiences that allow us to modify these energies into more beneficial expressions.

So, some astrology interpretations can start off with a unsettling meaning or tone to them, but we all are adaptive and interactive creatures and we tend to find successful ways of enriching our lives along these symbolic meanings.
Thank you for sharing. Dave

This is it, Dave. I think i'll evolve into something better...

dadsnook2000

For huredriel

Your Mars is near your MC suggesting that you'll take your own life and direction into your own hands. This will promote planning, execution and visionary themes that develop a "take charge" personality.

Note, also that Mars is at the mid-point of Moon and Venus: Instinctive, an emotional and passionate approach to life, the desire to become a mother, a love of travel and perhaps collecting or surrounding yourself in harmonious decorations and living space.

A nice "Mars." Dave

huredriel

Dave thank you so much, that is ALL totally spot on.

One further question, how can I tell .... or rather .... see this in a chart ....
Mars is at the mid-point of Moon and Venus
?