Planet Series: JUPITER

dadsnook2000

Jupiter, the big daddy of the Solar System, the only body other than the Sun that radiates more energy than it takes in, a planet whose mass exceeds that of all the other planets and asteroids and "stuff" combined -- this is the focus of the discussion in this thread.

Astrologically, Jupiter is associated with skills, events and proclivities relating to the law, religion, social harmony, expansion of all kinds, acquisitions, the big picture. On the negative side, Jupiter can be related to injustice, excessive and bad social engagement, obsession and pleasure-seeking, a "whats in it for me" attitude. People who are "Jupiter-like" might include government buearacrats, judges, religous affiliates, treasure seekers, banking officials, real estate agents and developers.

The funny thing about Jupiter is that many cannot, when asked, quickly come up with Jupiter attributes in their lives. Jupiter, for many, is not as up-front-and-personal as Sun, Moon or Mars -- it sort of moves over into the "theme of my life" side of the ledger. Yet, this "lifes theme" shows up in very important ways. I have seen that it is easy to understand Jupiter's role in your life by simply considering the chart house where Jupiter is located. In this view, placing Jupiter's meanings into a single sentance will suddenly give this important planet a focus that starts to unravel its influence throughout the chart.

So, lets take a quick look at Jupiter in the chart houses. We will look at the positive side of Jupiter, keeping in mind that opposite or derived negative meanings can apply depending upon the aspects and planets that may be involved with Jupiter.
#1 Image of honesty and being "larger than life", helpful and encouraging.
#2 Generosity, enjoyment of life's comforts, financial focus.
#3 Developing a large circle of friends, a carefree approach to life.
#4 Justice applied, fairness, working to save and repair and expand.
#5 Confidence, venturing into large endeavors, vanity (opps, a negative).
#6 Ethics and advice, overseeing and management, teamwork.
#7 Conversational, socially active, in public view, "what can you do for me?"
#8 Optimism expressed, striving for acquisition, materialistic.
#9 Feeling noble, self-pride and growth thru study, travel experiences.
#10 Responsibility accepted, qualities of leadership, ethical positioning.
#11 Hope, social interaction, application of justice.
#12 Kind-heartedness, enjoyment in retreat, self-modesty and helping others in quiet ways.

This thread will be the first of at least two regarding Jupiter. We can each share our placement of Jupiter in our chart, the "life theme" that it seems to represent, and the specific ways we interact and express that life theme. Have fun with this. Dave

huredriel

I have natal Jupiter in House 10 ...... in the sign of Virgo at 11-57-52,

however progressed at today's date is in House 9, Virgo but only 00-04-22

dadsnook2000 said:
#9 Feeling noble, self-pride and growth thru study, travel experiences.
So I can definitely agree with the House 9 part of growth thru study ...... and being in the sign of Virgo, I'm trying to be quite exact about it ........ although at times, possibly incurring negative aspects .... i.e. obsessive need for tidying up of ends that probably don't need it etc.

Not sure I can see much with the natal House 10 though ..... apart from always tried to be *responsible*, especially for self ....... do have quite high list of *ethics* as well mind :)

Being a house *behind* as it were ....... does this mean Jupiter has come nearly full circle over the last few decades?

WhiteRaven

Hello Dave.... :)
I'm popping in for a few while I have some time.
Hoping you are doing well....

On Topic now:

My Jupiter is found in the 12th house in the sign of Aries.

So, with that said....I shall quote you here:
#12 Kind-heartedness, enjoyment in retreat, self-modesty and helping others in quiet ways.

And within my Progressed chart for this day...
Jupiter is found within my 10th house, again in the sign of Aries...

As I've walked my path in this lifetime, I have tried to be as much as the 12th house theme....and where I am at now I find that I do have a huge amount of resposibility and I have accepted that. My ethical positioning is quite high and often looked upon as a very high expectation to meet by others. There is a blend with the natal position and the progressed at this time...enjoyment of retreat is of the highest to regain some stability and balance to maintain the responsibility and leadership mode.

I hope this makes sense... :)

dadsnook2000

For huredriel

I'm a bit confused over your "progressed" Jupiter being back at 0 Virgo. By my rough eye-ball counting, your progressed Jupiter should be around 20 Virgo. Due to its position near the Sun, it isn't likely to ever progress in retrograde motion backward thru Virgo.

Perhaps we should look again at the tenth house meanings for Jupiter in terms of a life theme. You identified with the ninth house "study for growth" but this could also be a short-term expression of a long-term (10th house) sense of self responsibility. The Virgo stuff could also be 10th house stuff -- as well as the obsessive tidying up bit, as that is part of feeling the need to be on display and being a good example (Sun progressed into Virgo).

Can you step back in your life and consider yourself 5, 10, 15 years ago? Did you express 10th house or 9th house stuff mostly?

Dave

huredriel

Ah sorry Dave, my fault ..... I'm just getting used to looking at the stuff on the progressed charts .... it is indeed 20 ..... what it has in the table at astro is 20 Vir 4'22".

dadsnook2000 said:
Perhaps we should look again at the tenth house meanings for Jupiter in terms of a life theme. You identified with the ninth house "study for growth" but this could also be a short-term expression of a long-term (10th house) sense of self responsibility.
Right I get ya ..... and yes this would tie in precisely with where I am now.

As for 5, 10, 15 years ago ..... if I can remember anything major around that time ...... 5 years ago would be the travel experiences definitely though responsibility and leadership (teaching karate) (9th & 10th) ...... 10 years was pretty much the same as 5 years ago, although 1995-1996 was a big changing year .. responsibilities considered probably more than study .... and 15 years ago ..... hmmmm was going through a lot of emotional stuff so not sure on that one. I would say from the little I've gleaned so far, that in all these experiences my Virgo has been quite dominant as it were (though obviously there would be interaction from other aspects) ...... as in each situation I've been in, I've tried to do the *right* thing (responsibility and ethics) ...... and leave nothing fluttering in the wind as it were.

Am I making sense of this correctly?

stardancer

Ole Hubris Head.

This is true of me, but you know what comes with that? Jupiter is so big, he can't but help insert his arrogance. He's thinking people should do a good deed without the attention or back scratching that a lot assume is suppose to go with it. And that you should do a good deed that is really needed or wanted, not what you are merely willing to do or something you think the other person needs because out of your own arrogance or short sidedness in that you only do what you want in return.

Oh wait, that's supposed to be a relationship, lol.

Jupiter is arrogantly humble in my chart that way.

But I do very much enjoy retreating to myself and I always have a lot of self projects and interests going on.

prudence

house #8 optimism expressed, striving for acquisition, materialisitc

My jup is in 8th house, at 5 degrees scorpio. But, I made a big mistake, I am not sure how much it affects my chart and all of this that we have been doing here, but I forgt to list the planets that are retrograde in my chart....Jupiter is one of them.

I definitely try to be optimistic. I have a lot of hope. But materialistic? Not terribly. I generally have a slight disdain for it actually. (sometimes not so slight) I don't like shopping, not at all a clothes horse, not a trophy car person, and I do not like the idea that we are meant to be consumers first and foremost. Is this due to the retrograde? (Or is it due to my saturn being in my second house?) It just feels wrong to me, to own things that we do not actually *need*.

isthmus nekoi

Jupiter in 8th, Libra.

Optimism... yes, but overall? I think it depends on the situation. Jupiter is sextile my Sag moon though, so it's very easy for me to be sunny and laugh.

I think if you consider the balsamic (prophet?) phases in my chart, striving for aquisitions and material things doesn't really suit my personality which is more about shedding away such things. Jupiter is conjunct Saturn, and is the ruler of my 2nd house - that probably adds more restraint to the traditional interpretation.

What about non-material 8th house stuff like death, the occult etc? Those probably apply to me more.

p.s. I swear Astrid, I'm not trying to copy you or anything in these threads - this is all just weird coincidence.

dadsnook2000

No coincidences here!

Astrid O and isthmus nekoi, there are no coincidences in terms of your sharing views and practices relative to Jupiter in the 8th house. Each component of the astrological chart has a general meaning. You both have Jupiter in the 8th, you both experience and are aware of that general meaning.

That said, Astrid O, your Jupiter retrograde and Saturn in the 2nd both help to modify the general meaning of Jupiter. Retrogrades often twist or express their meaning in different ways or thru other people. Saturn in the 2nd is a big modifier of your outlook. I think you nailed these conditions quite nicely.

And, isthmus nekoi, your perception of how phases modify your approach to using Jupiter is quite appropriate also.

So, we have two great observations and confirmations here, as well as a good reminder that one component in a chart is not a sure thing. Everything in the chart can play a role in our lives if we let it. Dave

prudence

isthmus nekoi said:
Jupiter in 8th, Libra.

Optimism... yes, but overall? I think it depends on the situation. Jupiter is sextile my Sag moon though, so it's very easy for me to be sunny and laugh.

I think if you consider the balsamic (prophet?) phases in my chart, striving for aquisitions and material things doesn't really suit my personality which is more about shedding away such things. Jupiter is conjunct Saturn, and is the ruler of my 2nd house - that probably adds more restraint to the traditional interpretation.

What about non-material 8th house stuff like death, the occult etc? Those probably apply to me more.

p.s. I swear Astrid, I'm not trying to copy you or anything in these threads - this is all just weird coincidence.

LOL That is a bit weird!! I just realized (copying from Isthmus' homework) that my Saturn is opposite my jupiterl...so is this similar to your Jupietr conjunct saturn in how it "feels"?

Could the 12th house sun also play a part in the wanting to strip away material stuff?

Racking up a lot of experiences involving death, and the occult has been a pattern in my life as well. (beginning with being born into a family in which 2 babies had died, there was a definite flavor of death from the get go, and before them, a maternal grandparent had committed suicide when my mother was around 20....so, death was abundant, and it hung around my family and I, making us feel different than other "normal" families)