Planet Series: JUPITER in relationship to MERCURY

dadsnook2000

Jupiter and Mercury, as a pair, is another one of my keys to quick chart interpretation. This pair, when considered in their phase relationship, tells us how we communicate in this world of ours, how we view social interactions, how communicative we might tend to be.

As with all phase relationships, we use the slower moving body, Jupiter in this case, as the anchor or reference point. Mercury, as the faster moving planet, is the expressive planet. Those of you who are perceptive will, by now, recognize a pattern in how each phase works with the meanings of the planets.

** PERFORMER PHASE; Mercury is 0 to 45 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
You tend to be a spontaneous talker, and one who has a certain "charm" in the way you speak, a "style" in how you write. Dale Carnagie wrote a book about how to talk to people, win friends and influence people. Those with this relationship probably never needed to read that book.

** WORKER PHASE; Mercury is 45 to 90 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
Those with this phase relationship tend to struggle in their efforts to find a new or more effective form of expression. This can range from overcoming a speech impediment, to learning how to speak with others in your social circle so that they will listen to you, to finding ways to reach out and touch others. As a career, this could relate to marketing, sales, any public contact where personal outreach and contact is important.

** ACTIVIST PHASE; Mercury is 90 to 135 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
This might be called the "tongue" phase or the "mighty mouth" phase. These people tend to be assertive and demanding in their way of talking. They ask for a lot and may easily argue over anything. From this we can project some extreme behavior for some: Fighting, arguing, debating, demeaning, demanding, debunking, etc. On the "positive" side we can look for persuasiveness, convincing or inspirational talking, one who markets or sells.

** ANALYST PHASE; Mercury is 135 to 180 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
These people may tend to "formalize" their communications, connecting in specific ways such as always by phone, by e-mail, a certain flair in how you write or when you call. You may excel at commicating at work but not at home, or vice-versa. Perhaps your communication has to be planned or rehearse ahead of time, or you tend to use canned statements or quotes. In any case, you communicate using methods and plans to make yourself more effective.

** SEEKER PHASE; Mercury is 180 to 215 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
Here, thinking before speaking is a good methodology to use. There is a need to avoid confusion and confrontation, clarity is a must. I'm not sure that "precision" is required here, but "effectiveness" is. It is sometime interesting to pursue what makes this push for clarity in communication such a needed thing for this person.

** BELIEVER PHASE: Mercury is 215 to 270 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
Here we find those who have a message to teach or a need to update what others have said or have believed for some time. This person will tend to "live" what they preach. New ideas are what keeps this person moving forward thru life.

** CHANGER PHASE; Mercury is 270 to 315 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
This person tends to articulate new ideas, express things thru new mediums, finding a new way to impress, inspire and to lead others with ideas. There might be any number of careers that could fit with this phase. What seems to be important is that there is a "platform" from which to lead others or to talk to others from.

** PROPHET PHASE; Mercury is 315 to 359 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
Here we have the social visionary, one who talks of the future, attempts to get others to prepare for change. This person may be "trendy" as a way to show others how to change, or how he/she is changing. There could be a form of duality here, saying one thing, doing another thing. "This is what you should do, this is what I'll do". But, change is on this person's mind. The question is, "What will change, who will change, how will change occur"? I think this phase represents a true visionary, but not necessarily an accurate forecaster.

Like all of our prior explorations, we will actually learn more about this Key to Interpretation by sharing our experiences and observations. The phases are guidelines. They can be reduced to a single sentance. Using all of the key phase phrases, we can build several sentances into a single paragraph that describe the essential character of the client. I look forward to sharing with each of you. Dave

Crystelle

i'm back...

thought I'd go ahead and jump in on this one... been away for some time. I'm 3.22 Scorpio for my Jupiter and 25.29 Sagittarius for my mercury.

Those with this phase relationship tend to struggle in their efforts to find a new or more effective form of expression. This can range from overcoming a speech impediment, to learning how to speak with others in your social circle so that they will listen to you, to finding ways to reach out and touch others. As a career, this could relate to marketing, sales, any public contact where personal outreach and contact is important.

I was always sticking my foot in my mouth when it came to girlfriends and relationships when I was younger. I would like to think that I have compensated by learning in my mid-twenties how to talk to almost anyone. At this point in time it looks like I might actually be using this skill to write proposals for a non-profit fundraiser to large corporations -- a daunting task I can assure you! Most people find me enjoyable to speak to, I laugh sometimes to think that they can only imagine what it was like to talk to me when I was 10 or 12! LOL

Crystelle

GoddessArtemis

Help...

Alright, I had to look at my chart and try to do some math (ick)...which I don't think I quite figured out.

My Mercury is in Aries at 03°24'09, and my Jupiter is in Capricorn at 04°53'19. How do you do the math?

Then, I can figure out which phase I belong to...

GA

amysquie

lol GA I need to figure out the exact same thing. I'm determined to get to grips with astrology! So according to my natal chart at astro.com, my mercury is in Pisces at 10°34'00, and my Jupiter also in Pisces at 28°50'02.
I worked out mercury is 18° ahead of Jupiter, but I don't think I'm in my performer phase at all!! Unless this potential has yet to be realised.

Hope someone can help and let me know if I'm on the right track?

dadsnook2000

Some answers

GoddessArtemis, your Mercury is within a degree and a half of being at the opening square aspect (90 degrees), so we can see that you are moving from the Worker Phase to the Activist Phase. If we combine the two, which may or may not be fully appropriate, we could say that "you are fighting to be heard, you want some respect for your opinions, if one remark won't make an impact you might come at an issue with another viewpoint."

All or some of this might fit you. Of course, the basic statements I provided could be expressed in other parallel ways. But, Mercury is in Aries, Jupiter is in Capricorn -- both cardinal signs, so I might suspect that noise is both an attention getter and a weapon. Ha. I guess I'll get a strong response to this.

amysquie, your Mercury is behind Jupiter -- it hasn't quite caught up with the big guy yet. This puts you in the PROPHET phase. Being in Pisces, these planets in this cycle-ending relationship can strongly identify with a visionary or social prophet set of views. Talking of what could be, encouraging others, helping others to plan something, wishing for something different for yourself, loving stories, loving tarot and astrology, loving anything that offers guidance and inspiration. All of this or some of this may apply to you.

For both of you, the house that Mercury is in willl/may tell much more of the theme or story about how you use these energies. Can you share that?

Crystelle, nice to "see" you again. Thanks for sharing. The good thing about Mercury is that it is so adaptable, if it sees that something doesn't work it can figure out another possible answer. Other planets don't have the agile capability. Thank heavens for Mercury. Dave

squeakmo9

dadsnook2000 said:

This would be me, I have Mercury in Taurus at 16 and Jupiter in Cancer at 27. I didn't have a speech impediment but was a very quiet child to the point where my first grade teacher thought me mute. I think I was using as protest/anger/resentment. I came from a public school kindergarden and first grade was a shock to me. I got stuck in a uniform, the room had no color in it, everyone had to sit behind a desk in rows, it just seemed "cold" and uninviting. So I didn't see the sense in talking...ever and since there are so many of us, I just blended in with the woodwork. I also feel awkward in social settings, I try not to attend parties unless I absolutely have to (Godson's Birthday) and usually try to find a corner wher I can just disappear...hate it! It makes me think of all the times my mother would "force" me to interact, it was like pulling teeth. Makes me laugh at the thought that I went into hairdressing, where I'm as "public" as I'm ever going to get. A part of me still wishes I had a job in some corporate basement assorting files all alone. Then there's the other side of me that likes to be around people that seem to want what I have to offer. It's nice to be needed sometimes and even better...appreciated:)

dadsnook2000

For squeakmo9

Actually your Mercury has not caught up with Jupiter -- being behind Jupiter and not ahead -- so you are in the CHANGER Phase. You obviously are not exhibiting those qualities so we have to ask "Why?" and we have to understand your comments also.

You have a tight grouping of Sun, Moon, Mercury at the MC angle. While the Moon being 0 to 45 degrees ahead of the Sun is supposedly the PERFORMER Phase we have to note that a conjunction of the Sun and Moon puts the Moon in the dark. How are emotions to be expressed relative to the personality, the ego, the will? These people are often very quiet and shy when young. This despite all of this stuff being at the MC. Mercury is also right in the middle of this, trying to understand what to think, what to say, what to feel. There is no perspective relative to the other personal and social planets. What persective there is consists of the square to Pluto -- harshness, feeling as if a bit player in a power struggle -- and an inconjunct to Mars -- if only you knew (then) what to say or do (give me a clue, please) -- a general opposition to Neptune -- a problem, what problem, what solution?

We can look at all of this another way, also. The Sun, Moon, Mercury is at one end of the 4th-10th house axis, Neptune at the other end. It is quite possible that one parent, when you were younger, had to play the role of being both parents and the signals got mixed up or short cut due to a lack of time for sharing in the early homelife. The other parent was present but also missing in some way. All of this is one way to interpret these patterns, there are other kinder and alternate expressions as well. But, when you talk of a child feeling that she is "placed into an uncaring learning situation, and sees no need to communicate, and still carries some degree of that conditioning", then we should explore the early home life. You don't need to do so in this public setting, you can just become aware of it as part of your astrological training and learn from it.

So, in your case, I don't think the Jupiter-Mercury things is quite appropriate as it is overridden by these other patterns. Dave

stardancer

dadsnook2000 said:
** PERFORMER PHASE; Mercury is 0 to 45 degrees ahead of Jupiter.
You tend to be a spontaneous talker, and one who has a certain "charm" in the way you speak, a "style" in how you write. Dale Carnagie wrote a book about how to talk to people, win friends and influence people. Those with this relationship probably never needed to read that book.

Well... I suppose I can charm people, but as for being spontaneous? I always called it demons coming out of my mouth. Sometimes words don't come out just right, though, and it isn't exactly charming, lol. As for style, maybe it's more distinction. I always seem to sense wanting to sound different, or find new ways to say things.

I once wrote (what I thought was) a sweet love letter to a man, and it so charmed him, he ran away like his pants were on fire. :O The power of the pen. ;)

dadsnook2000

My Jupiter-Mercury relationship

My Mercury is in Libra, sextile to Jupiter in Sag. This is the CHANGER Phase, suggesting that I'm always trying to find new ways to say things. Perhaps this Planet Series incorporating the phase relationships is an example of that. Or, perhaps my web-site offering the only-in-the-world tarot card figures carved in deep relief mounted on boxes and chests is an example of finding a new way of saying things. Or perhaps a lot of the things I do can be seen as creative, new, unusual. I sometimes say things just for their shock value. I'm always trying out new ways to tell a story.

Mercury is in Libra in the 5th. So I try to find attractive, creative ways to express myself. Jupiter being in the sixth house and sign of Sag suggests I like a free-form style of work, so Jupiter might be said to direct Mercury's expression to finding freedom and larger opportunities thru creative means (5th). When younger, I did not want to engage in art and graphical work as making it "work" might take the joy out of it. Later in my work life I took up graphics, selling and marketing and had so much fun. I even became a writer by backing into it, no training, it was just something that had to be done and there was nobody else to do it. Thats what happens when Jupiter is involved, you just assume it and it happens. Dave

amysquie

dadsnook2000 said:
amysquie, your Mercury is behind Jupiter -- it hasn't quite caught up with the big guy yet. This puts you in the PROPHET phase. Being in Pisces, these planets in this cycle-ending relationship can strongly identify with a visionary or social prophet set of views. Talking of what could be, encouraging others, helping others to plan something, wishing for something different for yourself, loving stories, loving tarot and astrology, loving anything that offers guidance and inspiration. All of this or some of this may apply to you.

For both of you, the house that Mercury is in willl/may tell much more of the theme or story about how you use these energies. Can you share that?

Thanks for your help, that phase sounds so much more like me! My Mercury is in the 6th house. May I also ask how you worked out how many degrees my Mercury is behind Jupiter? Unless it's dead complicated and you think it may confuse me (although I did get a B in A Level Maths)!

Thanks again for your kind help

Amy