Your Altar

Cerulean

Maybe a portable shrine/alter thread?

The ideas here are wonderful.

I'm looking into Feng Shui and a little into ancestral paths this fall, but in the meantime, I've a feel-good kit.

My personal ideas for this were very eclectic--five colors for five elemental directions, minatures that reminded me of my grandmother's shisa or Fu-dogs near the entrance, a changeable cloth and my paternal family's name stamp.
I have a clear quartz that came with a lovely tarot that is good for me otherwise clarifying my intentions.

In advance, I'm letting you know these are modern bits and pieces. The reason that I use "five-color and directions" right now is a personal preference-related to learning Feng Shui. A thread or the cloth colors can represent the directions and colors, if I have time to set things up. There's no reason or logical rationale. Usually the cloth I use is a cotton remainder of Japanese origin, part of what my parents or grandparents gave me.

The only constants are in these small bits: the two shisa; stamp; quartz or some pretty stone; very small container to hold those bits.

I can change the threads and cloth and perhaps an image that strikes my fancy or a tarot card-- daily or weekly, depending on my ideas

The shisa are somewhat logical from a personal origin--they are symbols of protection from my maternal grandmother's ideas. The name stamp from paternal origins-- so I always know where it is! I only added the quartz this weekend to have a fifth item for five things and I like the clear quartz. Sometimes I have another stone.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

mysticmonkey

Well I've sorted out my cabinet. The Jewellery box has to stay put so that sits on one side with a glass vase on the other to balance it out a bit and will let me display fresh flowers which can only add to the calmness I'm looking for.

I don't have any pretty cloths so I took one of my square cushion covers and placed that in the center of the space. It sounds funny I know but it is a deep blue colour and has been embroided with little mirrors for extra details and I'm always frightened to use it for an actual cover incase I snagged any of the threads. It looks pretty good where it is now.

I've added a few stones that I normally have up there but were lost underneath the clutter and my favourite rose quartz. Plus a candle and my oil burner.
It's pretty simplistic but does the job and marks the space as "reserved" so hopefully it will sow the seed in my brain and I'll add things to it as necessary.

Cerulean

Finally got to 'alter' setups!

Finally after taxes and family matters...got to wished for goals these past two days. I picked sage and arranged the 'alters'...

1) A portable Western heritage one for a 'circle' with sea themes.

2) A portable Eastern theme made up of mythical allegory.

3) A humorous closeup of the Eastern one.

The above are outline or portable arrangements, don't have rice, herbs, salt or other bits to make them come 'alive'--I'm still studying the art of alters, especially 'assembling' out of less-expensive bits. Sewing and craft stores can yield fifty-cent deals on candles and holders and a basket of shells cost very little...the 'dish' with the sun and moon on the portable Western heritage one was from a tray I decorated years ago...it made for a sun and moon and star celestial theme.

4) Name tablet with bits and pieces of peaceful co-existance...some from 'Folk Shinto' and "Buddhist" intermingled tribute. Greenery is non-Eastern delight in sage flowers that I picked from our garden and the animal is a Shisa given to me by maternal grandmother; in the background, this particular Giant Buddha I believe is the Ise one which was built after the ruler discovered by his dream that both his inherited (Shinto) beliefs and acquired (Buddhist) beliefs could be reconciled...an allegory of peaceful co-existance. My sister was amused and sent me collages she made of 'world travels' in mind.

5) A formal, simpler close-up of pictures and family name tablet--Shinto aspects, with parental and grandparental respect and a third generation pic of me with Hawaiian shirt--the background cloth for the name tablet came from great-aunt who still lives in Hawaii.

I gathered together inherited and gifted bits to come up with personal items...sometimes had to copy family pictures, find older things...it took me some time and thought, but other than a few of the tools, I was surprised how personally rich I felt after researching and then assembling stickers, plants, good luck charms, photos and gathered knick-knacks throughout the year...with an eye and mind toward 'alter' arrangement!

Late, but happily feel this feels apt this beautiful, beautiful almost **sunny** day of Spring!

Cerulean

Attachments

• W1.jpg
    W1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 254
  • E1.jpg
    E1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 235
  • E4.jpg
    E4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 212
  • E2shin.jpg
    E2shin.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 227
  • E3shin.jpg
    E3shin.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 203

psychic sue

Lovely altars here. Here's a couple of mine.

Attachments

• props2.JPG
    props2.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 257
  • my altar2.jpg
    my altar2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 254

sharpchick

Shade said:
Here's the trick with altars. When you first start out the tendency is to put everything "spiritual" you own on the altar. It generally is pretty cluttered with crystals candles, plants, statuary and figurines etc all thrown together. But once you get going you will accumulate enough things that it just cannot all go on the altar.

Nothing mundane on the altar! In order or the space to remain special, never put mail or soda cans or anything else on that altar... not even just for a "little while."

Nodding in agreement with Shade. . . .

I have an indoor and outdoor altar. The outdoor altar is set up anew every time I use it, because I still haven't been able to get the ewwwww feeling of the image of bird poop out of my head, even though it is natural.

I just went back and took a look. . . My indoor altar is generally reflective of the current season we are in (northern hemisphere). My altar tools and deity spheres are always there, but the colors of the altar candles and the other objects, i.e., crystals, flowers, etc. change with the season and the reason I use the altar. Behind it is a framed poster of the moon that I fell in love with the moment I saw it.

Cerulean

BTW...gorgeous ones here inspired me...so hope to see more...

..and to me, Spring rain gives an excuse to bring the fruits and flowers 'indoors.'

I'm off to do some more editing and cheerful home decor...

Cerulean

Dancing Bear

I just love this thread!!
I have many Alters around my Home practically one in every room. Each used for different reasons. a couple used for the same reason but different parts of the house.. The lounge and bathroom Alter are used for insence and burning candles to cleanse and freshen the home and set the mood...
My bedroom Alter is used for the more serious stuff, meditation etc...All of my alters consist of candles, Crystals,Stones, Icons, books and animals, Some have feathers, Some have Essential oils.. all slightly different depending on their use..

Hope you are successful with creating your Alter :)

September Pixie

I am currently upgrading my altar :) I thought I would show some progress pics.. Because I connect deeply with both earth and water most of my objects are green, blue, or clear :) I am currently looking for Goddess & God statues and I have some art I need to have printed to place above the altar.

I also have my soap stone tarot box on the top, some chakra stones (on the right), regular crystals (left), my fairy rock & dragons egg, and various other things I use for meditation. AlterVisiual.jpg is what the actual thing will look like when its close to complete (minus statues as I am not really sure what kinds I would like yet!) :)

September Pixie

Just a side question, those of you who have altars and/or are Pagan/Wiccan/etc where do you buy your supplies? I am looking for some new supplies (wands, etc) and the nearest metaphysical shop is 30mins away.. any sites you'd recommend? :)

Cerulean

If you are in the U.S., I can suggest a site or two...

A. While I'm not certain yet, I ordered a blue 'wine' glass that was different from anything I found at a 'dimestore' or discount house at

http://www.ravenblackwood.com...

it looks like a goth store though and my item has been pending for a bit...so they might not have it and will refund my money through amazon.com.

Below for others, some things I found lately:

B...but to be honest, I found discount houses have really good bargains.

1. One called Ross had dinner bells in crystal for under $5.00

2. Joanne's Fabrics and other fabric stores had 50 cent colored scented candles and 50 cent clear holders, ribbons, tassels, incense and candle snuffers for very little. I also found a basket of shells were a few dollars, added to ones I had.

4. Wood Wands--local trees, especially fruit trees that people prune can have discards. The wood is very light and the sandpaper is not expensive. Ornamental plum and maple are the ones I selected: our fruit trees are too young to be pruned yet.

5. Crystal wands or stone athames with deer horn--the obsidian knives work for herbs and if you are like me, kind of sensitive at times to too much metal. Black or white yarn on the handle according to your needs. I check Amazon.com and ebay and most of the sites have an actual store site that offers the item for less...

6. Bead shops or make-your-own-jewelry places with an "Eastern" edge have interesting bits...If you need star-shaped items, after Xmas candle items and a glass star that was for stained glass hanging and inexpensive round mirrors or mini-basket to add the circle-some people might even take a perma marker to trace a star around a CD they don't want or a round sheet of paper. Even shiny cutouts from stickers (ever see the stars in different colors at the grocery store office supplies? There's an interest range of items when one keeps the inner eyes open..

7. Someone said look in kitchen or crafty hobby stores or places that sell unique garden supplies if you cannot get river rocks, seashells or 'green' items...

I think my search through e-bay and amazon.com helped me to price things when I glanced at local stores for the look and feel of things that I wanted.

Happy hunting!

Cerulean