flower oracle

zorya

divination using flowers

a form of divination that was popular in france in the 1700's, was the 'flower oracle'. it was invented by a professor at the university of lyons. a person would look over a large bouquet of flowers, and then select one. the reading would be based on the divinatory meaning of the flower chosen. it would be used to describe the person's character or to answer other divinatory questions.

so... which flower would you choose and what would this say
about you?

my favorite is columbine (aquilegia).
associated with aphrodite or venus. it was once believed to have magical properties. doctors in medieval times, believed that it was a universal antitoxin. named after columba 'the dove'. it was also called perfect love grass, and venus's glove. other meanings were folly, utter madness, and sadness. purple signified; resolution, red; anxiousness and trembling. later the christians associated this flower with mary.

Kiama

Wow Zorya! That's a cool divination system! I'd probably draw a rose, or a lily.

Another cool thing about flowers is that in Victorian England, they all had a hidden language. So, if a man sent a woman a red rose, it meant he was deeply in love with her, but if she sent him back a yellow crysanthemum I think, it meant that she didn't feel the same way. The Victorians even had a fan language, which was used at balls and dances, and men and women would go to a soecial school to learn them.

I'll see if I can find the list of flower language which I have at home.

Kiama

zorya

kiama; here's a few i found for you,

lily (day) coquetry
lily (white) purity and sweetness, virginity, modesty
lily (yellow) gaiety, falsehood
rose (red) love, passion, beauty
rosebud (red) pure and lovely
rose (burgandy) unconsious beauty
rose (multiflora) grace
rose (single) simplicity
rose (thornless) love at first sight
rose (white) i am worthy of you, purity
rosebud (white) girlhood, a heart ignorant of love
rose (yellow) decrease of love, jealousy
rose (red and white) unity
rose (pink) perfect happiness and friendship
rose (coral) admiration for your accomplishments and talents
rose (deep red) bashful shame
rose (york) war

jade

ah yes, leopold discusses that in "kate and leopold" the movie.

i would choose: columbine or purple roses.

i don't know the divinatory meanings though.

jade

zorya

jade,
my original post talks about columbine symbolism. purple or lavender roses can symbolize; enchantment, sweet thoughts, love at first sight, opulance and majesty.

truthsayer

i love irises, honeysuckle, violets and roses. it's hard to bring it down to one! i think roses of any color would be #1. preferably those w/ nice fragrances. i like nature's architecture in irises. violets b/c of their beauty and fragility. they tend to come in purples and pinks which are my fav colors. honeysuckles b/c everyone i've smelled is wonderful! i don't always like the smell of a rose but the sweet fragrance of honeysuckle is always nice.

jade

zorya said:
jade,
my original post talks about columbine symbolism. purple or lavender roses can symbolize; enchantment, sweet thoughts, love at first sight, opulance and majesty.

oooh i like that. now i love those purple roses even more :D thanks for the info zorya..................(and yes i saw the explanation in your post :D )