opera tarot

madmoiselle

I just had an idea. Has any-one ever done or heard of an opera Tarot? It could be made with opera characters, and for the Minor Arcana, may-be opera scenes? Has this been done?

Astraea Aurora

Hi madmoiselle

I don`t know if it has already been done - but I find this a great idea. Definately interesting for musicians and people who like to go to the opera.

Blessings, Astraea Aurora

firemaiden

This is actually one the reasons I joined AT in the first place, I didn't know anything about tarot, but I wanted to learn so I could put together an opera tarot. I do have plans still to organise one, and have spent a good deal of time thinking about what scenes can be what cards, but it will be not be for tomorrow.

Baroli

firemaiden said:
This is actually one the reasons I joined AT in the first place, I didn't know anything about tarot, but I wanted to learn so I could put together an opera tarot. I do have plans still to organise one, and have spent a good deal of time thinking about what scenes can be what cards, but it will be not be for tomorrow.

You could even make it more specialized and use perhaps scenes from Puccini's operas or Verdi, or if you're really nuts like I am for older less sung operas, how about Handel's? So many possibilities.

Baroli :D

madmoiselle

firemaiden -
What are your plans or ideas? I'd love to hear some. What were you going to use to make them, like, traditional or digital? Do you have any names set out for any cards? Sorry for so many questions ...

firemaiden

Hi Mademoiselle,
Well, I was not going to be the one doing the artwork...

I hadn't gotten very far in the planning stages, but in one version I was toying with having the suits represent different traditions, each card being a different opera, for example, I thought perhaps the Swords could be Slavic Operas and English (LOL), and the Cups could be French and/or German operas, and the Coins or wands could be Italian Operas, hmm... it doesn't break down quite that neatly does it -- ; I was thinking of perhaps having the Majors be major characters - like Siegfried or Parsifal for the Fool, etc. Lots of different approaches one might take...

firemaiden

Right, there is that one.

So Mademoiselle, par curiosité, how did you get interested in opera? Do you think there would be much of a market for an opera tarot?

madmoiselle

firemaiden -
Opera? I've all-ways liked opera, I know that sounds silly. But as a little girl, when-ever the radio was on, I would try to tune into an opera station. It all-ways sound so beautiful to me, the languages and the emotions of the voices. Of course then I didn't know the stories. And usually my sister or some-one would make me turn it off, lol. When I got a little older and got to choose what music I listened to, I bought some operas and read their stories. I even am taking opera voice lessons ^^
I know of a few who listen to opera (around where I live) but none who read the Tarot, so I have no clue as to if it would sell. (I know I'd certainly buy one :) But there are so many different decks, and people must buy them, right?

firemaiden

Well dear Madmoiselle, I totally agree with you about opera. It is very refreshing to meet other people who love it :)

I do hope one day this opera tarot does happen. I'll keep you posted!