Color correspondances with runes

Kyrielle

Are there color associations with the runes?

I got the idea of using a different color ink to fill in the rune on each of my homemade runes, for a kind of rainbow effect, and I want to use appropriate colors for each rune, if there are any.

If there aren't, I'll make them up based on what I know about colors and rune qualities.

-- Kyrielle

Kyrielle

Okay, so maybe there aren't any. :|

-- Kyrielle

zorya

traditionally runes were colored with blood, so red or gold is oft used to represent this.

i had read of color correspondences in a book that took a more contemporary twist. sorry can't remember where, as it was a library book.

Umbrae

I hunted throughout my library to find color correspondences. I can find none. More than likely, the ancient Teutonic peoples had little variety in their natural dye selection.

Kyrielle

Thanks for looking anyway, Umbrae.

I guess blood doesn't come in a whole spectrum of colors.

My runes are looking pretty good plain right now, but who knows, maybe I'll get the urge again to color them.

-- Kyrielle

zorya

found it! umbrae forgive me :rolleyes: ;)

'the complete illustrated guide to runes' by nigel pennick. pages 134-135

think i'd rather stick to tradition.....

Kyrielle

I have seen the Pennick book around, and I think I'll take a serious look at it next time I have some money. I gather it's a pretty good resource.

-- Kyrielle

zorya

wait a minute there kyrielle. i did not say it was a GOOD resource. i only said that i found some contemporary stuff on color correspondances in it.

traditionally runes were colored red. this book acknowledges that. then it goes on to say that "modern users have developed color correspondences....." it discusses two main systems of runic colors. the general system based on the northumbrian futhork and its additions. some colors coming from ancient writings, others developed intuitively over the years. (by whom??? hmmmm ) another system discussed is from guido list's armanen runes. this uses colors such as bright purple. the colors in this book are much to vivid to have been traditional. i was considering typing out the list of colors, but as these clearly are not authentic. i do not wish to recommend them.

have you read this thread yet?
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7060

ladycj

I read a website not too long ago that suggested using red ink (like dove's blood ink etc. depending on what you wanted to use your runes for.), and just adding a couple drops of your own blood if you don't want to get drastic with blood supply. It also suggested asking for a couple of vials (purple lid) the next time you give blood. What do you think Umbrae? I prefer the ink idea myself.

Kyrielle

Ugh. I'll probably leave them all plain, then, and consecrate by an alternate ritual.

The general rule is still "do what you wish as long as it works for you," isn't it?

-- Kyrielle