Le Mat

jmd

In the recently translated The Secret History of Freemasonry (p 142), Paul Naudon quotes from a document from 1840 about 'Paris and its surroundings' and the by then established traditional areas in which various in which 'congregated' the compagnon (or journey-men).

As the whole quoted paragraph is of interest, I may as well give it in full, with the specific item that aroused my imagination with regards to this card in green:

During ordinary times, when it is not troubled by moments of public unrest, the Place de Greve is fairly calm but still not in a state of perfect tranquility. This is the place where workers, primarily masons in search of employment, have chosen to rendezvous ...

Around six in the morning one can see a crowd of individuals emerging from all the tiny streets in the neighborhood of the square. They are all clad in a garb that, because of its many patches, would rival the clothes of a harlequin if it were not for the whitish layer that is uniformly spread atop the garments' surface. They carry on their backs what could be called their insignia: a small basket inside of which sits a wooden spade whose handle emerges from a small hole contrived in the back of the basket. This is how the entrepeneurs who come there in search of workers recognize the men they need.​

Of course, this really needs to also be considered in light of many other events and regular occurances, such as the vagabondage and mendicants (declared illegal in earlier centuries by royal decree - for the Paris precincts at any rate).

prudence

~so, does this mean that Le Mat may have been based on the image of a Freemason?

tmgrl2

jmd said:
In the recently translated The Secret History of Freemasonry (p 142), Paul Naudon quotes from a document from 1840 about 'Paris and its surroundings' and the by then established traditional areas in which various in which 'congregated' the compagnon (or journey-men).

As the whole quoted paragraph is of interest, I may as well give it in full, with the specific item that aroused my imagination with regards to this card in green:

During ordinary times, when it is not troubled by moments of public unrest, the Place de Greve is fairly calm but still not in a state of perfect tranquility. This is the place where workers, primarily masons in search of employment, have chosen to rendezvous ...

Around six in the morning one can see a crowd of individuals emerging from all the tiny streets in the neighborhood of the square. They are all clad in a garb that, because of its many patches, would rival the clothes of a harlequin if it were not for the whitish layer that is uniformly spread atop the garments' surface. They carry on their backs what could be called their insignia: a small basket inside of which sits a wooden spade whose handle emerges from a small hole contrived in the back of the basket. This is how the entrepeneurs who come there in search of workers recognize the men they need.​

Of course, this really needs to also be considered in light of many other events and regular occurances, such as the vagabondage and mendicants (declared illegal in earlier centuries by royal decree - for the Paris precincts at any rate).

What a wonderful reference, jmd...This is more "new" information to add to our understanding of Le Mat. It reminds me of the gatherings we have here and I am sure in other parts of the US, of workers (mostly from other countries) looking for "day" work. They congregate at a corner in a town and are then selected for hire for the day.

There is so much controversy about this whole process, since many of them may not be here with "Green Cards" as "legal" entrants to our country. There is much legislation in the works to grandfather their presence here as, at least, temporarily legal. They are working and living here, being paid cash and not having Social Security numbers....yet many wish to "belong" to the country legally. Very touchy situation.....

This whole issue reminds me of Le Mat as a figure, then, living between boundaries....no longer of his/her home origin, yet not a full member of the new country.

terri

Jewel-ry

What a wonderful article jmd!

Thanks for sharing it. If he does indeed turn out to be Le Mat this could throw a somewhat different light on his meaning. It seems he too was not so 'foolish' as he was able to secure work for himself and was probably quite adept at it too! Being a mason was a skilled trade wasn't it?

I particularly like this from terri:

tmgrl2 said:
This whole issue reminds me of Le Mat as a figure, then, living between boundaries....no longer of his/her home origin, yet not a full member of the new country.

terri

kwaw

Don't know whether this has already been mentioned, but 'fou' also meant 'out, outside',as in expressions 'buvet fou' drink out and 'venez fou' come out, as a corruption of fors, meaning among other things 'without doors [ie, outside], or abroad'.

Kwaw

kwaw

Playing the Fool:

Quotes:
John Wilkins, An Essay towards a Real Character and a Philosophical Language (1668)
Ninny -Fool
John Kersey the younger, English Dictionary (1702)
An Innocent - natural fool, or ninney.
A Wise-acre, or Wiseman of Gotham - a fool, ninny, or half-witted fellow.
A Nidget - ninny or meer fool.
William Thomas, Principal Rules of the Italian Grammar (1550)
Matto - a foole.
Edward Phillips, The New World of English Words (1658)
A Mate, or Checkmate, (a Term used in the Game at Chess) is when the Game is brought to that passe, that there is no way left for the King to escape, from the Italian word Matto, i. foolish and inconsiderate, or the Spanish Matar, i. to kill.
John Florio, A World of Words (1598)
Matto - mad, fond, foolish, simple; a mad, foolish simple gul. Also a mate or check mate at chesse.Also the middle or ninth pin at keeles, or nine pins, the mistres bowle to caste at.

Tarócchi - a kinde of playing cardes vsed in Italy, called terrestriall tri- umphes.

Taroccare - to play at Tarócchi.Also to play the froward gull or peeuish ninnie.
End quotes.

Gull and ninnie are both synonyms for 'fool', so according to Florio 'Taroccare' means 'to play the fool'.

Kwaw

catboxer

Stand-Up Thread

I haven't been around here for a long, long time.

But I've had occasion to return to Tarot lately, and re-establish a relationship with the cards for purposes of using them as an oracle. I've hit a time in my life where I need a friend, and this little deck of cards has proven to be a good one.

Reviewing this thread, I find that it stands up very well for the most part. It's been a little over five years since I wrote post #3 and some of the others. A great deal has changed since then, but I remain convinced as I was then about the meaning of this card.

When you look at the deep history of the Fool card, and take his original name into account and you want to get kind of a modern take on the idea, what I come up with is one of those shopping-cart guys you see in the park.

I'm not belittling that kind of people. They're the ones that Jesus said God loves the most. And I find a great deal of significance in this card for that reason.

Tom Tadfor Little has a nice page on the Fool at his tarothermit.com site (http://www.tarothermit.com/fool.htm). It has three pictures at the top, one from an antique Italian deck, one from an ancient deck (Visconti-Sforza) and one from an ancient semi-tarot (Mantegna), which convey the variations in the traditional meaning of the card. I still resonate most with the earliest depictions, and still believe what I wrote here back in 2002, only I believe it more so than I did then.

Regards,
Dave B

le pendu

catboxer said:
I haven't been around here for a long, long time.

But I've had occasion to return to Tarot lately, and re-establish a relationship with the cards for purposes of using them as an oracle. I've hit a time in my life where I need a friend, and this little deck of cards has proven to be a good one.

Reviewing this thread, I find that it stands up very well for the most part. It's been a little over five years since I wrote post #3 and some of the others. A great deal has changed since then, but I remain convinced as I was then about the meaning of this card.

When you look at the deep history of the Fool card, and take his original name into account and you want to get kind of a modern take on the idea, what I come up with is one of those shopping-cart guys you see in the park.

I'm not belittling that kind of people. They're the ones that Jesus said God loves the most. And I find a great deal of significance in this card for that reason.

Tom Tadfor Little has a nice page on the Fool at his tarothermit.com site (http://www.tarothermit.com/fool.htm). It has three pictures at the top, one from an antique Italian deck, one from an ancient deck (Visconti-Sforza) and one from an ancient semi-tarot (Mantegna), which convey the variations in the traditional meaning of the card. I still resonate most with the earliest depictions, and still believe what I wrote here back in 2002, only I believe it more so than I did then.

Regards,
Dave B

What a joy it is to see you here Dave! I've learned so much from your posts over the years, it's a delight to welcome you back to AT. I'm thankful the winds have blown you our way again, and I look forward to sharing with you.

catboxer

Thanks, Pendu, that's a very gracious welcome home.

I must say it is very pleasant to be back in familiar surroundings, and I'm looking forward to interacting with people here once more.

DB