Mulûk Wa-Nawwâb (Mamluk) card images

Ross G Caldwell

gregory said:
OK so – do people still want the cards/parts of the cards scanned ??

I would love to have the cards scanned. But I am embarrassed to ask, because I know how much work it is.

Thank you for offering.

Ross

kenji

kwaw:
No, seemingly no pip cards have inscriptions.

Gregory:
Is the deck you have one of the 750 copies limited edition of 1972?
Mine is one of another edition - 246 copies limited editon of 1977.

I wonder if there are some differences between the two editions.
At least, the newer editon has an ENGLISH LWB -- which the older doesn't.

gregory

kenji said:
kwaw:
No, seemingly no pip cards have inscriptions.

Gregory:
Is the deck you have one of the 750 copies limited edition of 1972?
Mine is one of another edition - 246 copies limited editon of 1977.

I wonder if there are some differences between the two editions.
At least, the newer editon has an ENGLISH LWB -- which the older doesn't.
Mine is one of a limited ed of 750 by Aurelia/Carta Mundi - there's actually no date on it, and it came with no book. I got it from US Games. I wish I had an LWB....

gregory

Ross G Caldwell said:
I would love to have the cards scanned. But I am embarrassed to ask, because I know how much work it is.

Thank you for offering.

Ross
No sweat..... I'll tell you when I'm done !!! (like, around Christmas !!!) Can't guarantee the order; I have a lot of trouble with them !!!

Ross G Caldwell

gregory said:
No sweat..... I'll tell you when I'm done !!! (like, around Christmas !!!) Can't guarantee the order; I have a lot of trouble with them !!!

Thanks gregory! You're very kind.

Oh - and happy belated Birthday!

Ross

jackdaw*

kenji, if it's not too late, I have PM'd you about your offer on the last page.

thinbuddha

gregory said:

Is it Christmas yet?

DianeOD

Hi and 'bye

About the 'grids' to the heart in Mecca.

I put up various examples on my old wetpaint site.

The whole key to the pack its its architecture, and what those structures and their numerical factors imply... that's were the common ground of Islam and Christendom occurs.

Secondly - remember that these are just a few cards. WE are not entirely sure (I think - has that changed?) when they were made, nor for whom, nor even whether they were made for Muslims or for some other of the dozens of different communities for whom Arabic was the formal common language.

I mean - they 'could' have been made for an Egyptian Christian, or a Russian woman taken as the 'silver (i.e. moon-like) tribute demanded each year by some rulers.

Sorry to sound grumpy, but use of Arabic does not mean a person is an 'Arab', adn one cannot form theories about lines of transmission on such slender evidence.

On the other hand, a later persian source (Hafiz) includes in his Diwan a vrbal contest-poem of the romantic sort in which he plays and loses against the 'woman'. I have tried to explain the poetic allusions, which draw on the usual body of that eastern popular star-lore which was so embedded in eastern culture, to show that it is possible - no more than possible - that byu Hafiz' time not only the pattern of reference for such contests was that of our early Atouts, but that perhaps the inscriptions in Arabic on those cards might refer to a poem, or series of poems that would permit a closer correspondence to be argued between eastern and western forms of *these* sorts of contest-games.

Have to say, though, that it is in Europe we first hear of the 'poetry-battles' between males and females, and one of the notable innovations about card-use was that verbal/romance contests between male and female were permitted, and permitted to occur near-enough in to one-to-one unchaperoned situations.

Still. This has been a really fascinating thread. Sorry I wont be able to follow it.
But looking up the name of an Islamic physician just now, I found that the posts here are being broadcast on the web. Makes me feel uncomfortable, so after posting a few of those grids for you - assuming I've still got them, I'm signing out.
Bye

DianeOD

message moved to new thread

Bibliog and pictures in response to Kwaw's interest in 'grids' .. moved to new thread.