Who here has/had the first edition Morgan Greer?

minrice

Whomever has the 1979 vintage first ed. of the Morgan Greer please step forward!
There is one for sale on ebay and I'd like to double check and make sure it is the original. My gut says that it isn't, just a fairly current reprint. Anyone know what I should ask about? The seller only has the front of a few cards scanned. Any little details I can ask about?

Le Fanu

I don´t know if mine is a first edition, but it is Morgan & Morgan 1979, only without the box.

I think there are two 1979 editions, some with faded backs (like mine) and the stars are unevenly distributed on the backs. Some don´t have faded backs if I remember rightly from an old thread here. But there was talk of the stars being irregularly distributed.

O and the colours are less vibrant, than current printings, but you´ll only know that when you have it in your hand!

Does it have a box? As mine doesn´t have a box, your best bet is hearing from people here who have a box!

Alan Ross

I used to have the 1979 edition. I now have a recent edition. One difference I read about in another thread here on AT is that the stars on the backs of the first edition were arranged differently on each card. In recent editions, the stars are no longer random; they are arranged the same on each card. If you could convince the seller to post scans of the backs of a couple of the cards, that should give you a good idea of what you're looking at.

Alan

ETA: I see I cross-posted with Le Fanu. The box for the 1979 edition is different. It doesn't have the typical top flap; it uses a separate top lid that nests with the bottom half, same as the original Morgan Press Aquarians.

Teheuti

I have an original 1979. It's in a brown box (with separate cover). The card backs are pale sky blue (mottled) with white stars having random sizes, points and positions.

The back of the box says:

Distributed by
MORGAN & MORGAN, INC.
Dobbs Ferry, New York 10522
1979 Morgan Press, Inc.
$7.95

Hannafate

One thing about the original is the way the back is printed. The original is printed solid blue. The reprints are screened blue. If you look at them with a magnifying glass, you can see the little dots.

Teheuti

Hannafate said:
One thing about the original is the way the back is printed. The original is printed solid blue. The reprints are screened blue. If you look at them with a magnifying glass, you can see the little dots.
I'm confused. The back of my cards is screened blue (with stars).

Did the deck with "solid blue" backs also come in the brown 2-piece box with the Chariot on the cover, and Morgan & Morgan $7.95 printed on the back?

minrice

You all are super! Thanks for your help. There is a photo of the box posted in the listing, it is top flap and purple. Different from the box my 03' (or so) reprint has so I think it's just a 90's reprint.
Now I know what to look for! Much appreciated, I'll have to dig up the older thread on the card backs.

willowfox

My cards come in a box with the Chariot on the front, the cards themselves are not laminated and the backs are a faded bluey colour and the address is Dobbs Ferry, NY..

Edited to add, I have just looked at the box over on eBay and it looks like the newer model, not 1979, because my box cover does not have the words Chariot V11 on it, the box has only a picture with no writing, also the frame around the Chariot card on the box looks to be purple whereas mine is sky blue, the same as the rest of the box's colour.

Alan Ross

I looked on ebay for the listing and found one listing for a vintage Morgan-Greer Tarot. When I checked out the details, I noticed that the publisher was listed as U.S. Games. U.S. Games published the later editions of this deck. As has already been noted, the original edition was published by Morgan Press.

Alan

Bernice

Now I'm somewhat confused....

My Morgan Greer is 1979:

Published & Printed by Morgan & Morgan Inc. Dobbs Ferrry. New York 10522

Distributed by U.S. Games. ISBN: 0-913866-91-1 (The 1's might be 2's, due to the font used.)

Box:...........Purple, with the Chariot on the front.

Cardbacks:..Random stars - different on each card.

Bee :)

Maybe the ISBN number can give us a clue to the earliest publication?

Willowfox: .....my box cover does not have the words Chariot V11 on it, the box has only a picture with no writing....
Neither does mine - it's just the Chariot pic with the words MORGAN-GREER TAROT at the top.