View Single Post
Citizen

celticnoodle 

I like this card, (love the whole deck!) but I always thought it was yet another rabbit in the grass, and not a fawn. It seems to have long ears like a rabbit, but I could be wrong.

As for the dog, I don't believe he is frightened, I think he is more of the type of dog whose tail is always down low. Like that of a greyhound or a Ibizan hound dog--both who are known as hunting dogs. And, now that I checked the little book that accompanies this deck, it is a greyhound depicted here.

I believe this Moon card in this deck is truly speaking out towards the mystical side of the moon. The lady depicted in the moon looks to me like she is meditating. the greyhound is also a dog noted for his keen sense of sight, thus relating again to the mystical moon.

The hare actually stumped me as far as being symbolic in this card, as I always just linked hares and rabbits to a birth. but, after I googled about his symbolism, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the hare is often depicted in many cultures with the moon. to quote what I found online specifically about the hare-

these animals were archetypal symbols of femininity, associated with the lunar cycle, fertility, longevity, and rebirth & In some lands, Hare is the messenger of the Great Goddess, moving by moonlight between the human world and the realm of the gods; in other lands he is a god himself, wily deceiver and sacred world creator rolled into one. hmmm. now that I think about it, a family friend who was a nurse use to always dislike the full moon, as depicted in this card. She would always be called in, because every full moon, they would have a significant increase in births as well as really crazy accident victims at the hospital, requiring extra help.

As for the stag, well, I had always known that he was a symbol of strength-but I didn't exactly know why till again, I googled his symbolic meaning-

The stag was associated with healing, for he knew which medicinal plants to take in order to shake off the hunter's arrow. The person bearing this symbol was considered impervious to weapons. I also found that the stag is also a symbol of purity and fleetness.

You mentioned the lobster or crab who are both crawling on the bottom at the card. they are both known as "lunar symbols". So, this whole card just reeks of rebirth and mystical moon symbols, I think. I do like how you describe their meaning in this card.
Top   #2