Should you buy your own decks?

Lurker

Greetings!

I've read and heard from a couple of sources that you shouldn't buy your own Tarot decks.

Should I stay away from buying my own deck and hopefully get a deck as a gift? Or does it matter at all?

gregory

It doesn't matter at all. It is whatever suits YOU.

But rather than start a whole new discussion, I suggest you use the search function - there are MANY threads about this.

Here is one; here's another, and another.. That should give you enough to be going on with :D

Welcome to AT, by the way. :thumbsup:

There is an index of a lot of other useful threads to save you time - here.

Emily

Hi Lurker,

It would be lovely to receive a tarot deck as a gift but for many of us, it just doesn't happen that way.

If I'd waited for someone to buy me my first (well any) deck, well I'd still be waiting.

It's one of the 'tarot myths' - it comes from the time when treasured decks would be passed down from an elder family member to a younger member, they would learn how to read with it, then when the time came pass it to someone else in the family.

I don't understand why tarot books still print this, it gives newbie readers the wrong idea about obtaining a deck, its not bad luck to buy your own deck it just means that you get a deck you really want.

If there is a deck you want, then go for it - it will read just the same for you whether it was a gift or not. :)

Apollonia

Hi, Lurker! This is an oft-repeated Tarot myth that, like many others, simply is not true. It is lovely to receive a deck as a gift, but for learning and working with the Tarot, it does not matter one whit whether you purchase your deck or receive it from someone else. In fact, if you are interested in the Tarot, I recommend that you go out soon and select a deck that particularly appeals to you to begin with, for two reasons--One, you won't have to wait to begin, and Two, if Tarot becomes something you want to spend any amount of time on, it's best to spend those hours looking at art you like!

I wish you all the best as you begin your journey with Tarot--it can be a lifelong addiction, and an immensely satisfying one.

Blessings,
Amanda

Lillie

Yeah, you should buy your own decks, because if you leave it up to other people they always get ones you didn't want.

gregory

Lillie said:
Yeah, you should buy your own decks, because if you leave it up to other people they always get ones you didn't want.
:D The voice of reason, as usual ! (you do realise you want the Thoth ? Lillie will explain this to you shortly.)

Lurker

Thank you all for the replies and thanks gregory for the links! I'll make sure to use the search next time.

My apologies for not using it this time. *blushes* ;)

shadowdancer

don't be apologetic. This is a huge database and I took ages before I found my way round

Welcome to the forum in the meantime

Davina (shadowdancer)

Lillie

gregory said:
:D The voice of reason, as usual ! (you do realise you want the Thoth ? Lillie will explain this to you shortly.)

Yes, you want the Thoth.
You can buy it yoursel, or insist that someone buys it for you.

Either way, you want it

All hail the hypno toad....

gregory

Lurker said:
Thank you all for the replies and thanks gregory for the links! I'll make sure to use the search next time.

My apologies for not using it this time. *blushes* ;)
Hey - no worries. Never apologise ! (it's not as if anyone else does }))

It' s just that the more threads there are about one topic, the more there is to search through, which makes it take longer to....... and round and round and round we go !!! I think I might suggest that when someone signs up, they be directed to Marion's brilliant thread as a handy start point !!! I use it all the time - and I've been here - well - too long, many would say :D