Ladybug symbol

celticnoodle

a_shikhs said:
Since the past few nights, I've been seeing a small pretty ladybug in my room. Every night I put it on a piece of paper and shoo it out of my window, but then it's back again the next night. It's kinda pretty too and red and black in color. I think it likes my room. ;) I have this feeling that it symbolizes something but can't figure out what. I even tried to google it out but couldn't find anything interesting. Any ideas??
the ladybug was actually named for the Blessed Virgin Mary.

the ladybug is symbolic of a new love coming your way or
a pregnancy or
it's time to persue your passion

Ladybug: Perhaps best known as an emblem of luck, the Ladybug is a love symbol too. Asian traditions hold to the belief that if caught and then released, the Ladybug will faithfully fly to your true love and whisper your name in his/her ear. Upon hearing the Ladybug's message your true love will hurry his/her way to your side. Ancient farmers of the land have considered the Ladybug a good omen as she controls aphid populations. The number of spots on a Ladybug's back is said to indicate the number of months to pass before the wish for love comes true.

memries

Wonderful information about ladybugs.

For a while in the big grocery stores you could buy thousands of ladybugs to let loose. They were supposed to eat somethng or other the government did not want. I never checked the packages or looked at them. I would prefer not to know. Anyway, now we have our usual ladybugs who do not bite and I think the new kind bite a bit. So we have gone from loving them to tolerating them. You cannot see the difference.

That aside and I don't want to contradict the experts about their life span but they hibernate for the winter in the top somewhere, I think, of our big glass sliding doors. They awake one at a time and I let them out.
Or they sleep in the plants but we do not have many. Sometimes in the middle of winter I find one in my bedroom and have one plant. You never see them together.

Also if you go to sweep them up they freeze and act like they are dead and then after a while they turn over and start crawling. I don't mind I just wait and pick them up and let them out.

I was happy to read the symbolism. I never even thought of checking that out.

celticnoodle

ladybugs eat aphids. they are wonderful to put on your plants, and yes, you can still purchase them via mail order for your gardens! they are great for the vegetable garden, as they don't harm any of the veggies, only the other bugs who will harm it!

ladybugs tend to hibernate inside anywhere they can that is warm for the winter. I recall one year in VT when spring finally sprung, we were eating dinner, and my husband remarked about this dark spot in the corner of the kitchen by the window. not knowing what it was, we went to investigate to find that we had thousands of ladybugs all of a sudden in that corner (warmest part of the house) of the room! we scooped up most of them and let them go outside, but kept a few inside for our houseplants.

Here in NY, we find them frequently too--but never like we did in VT! They are a type of beetle, but they don't do any damage really to us.

They are also symbolic of peace and happiness as well as good luck coming to a home when found inside--forgot (I think) to post that! so, always a good sign to see them! :)

a_shikhs

Last night, I had four pretty lady bugs in my room. :bugeyed: I quite freaked out and made sure they were out of my room fast. haha.. They are really pretty winged creatures.

And I just discovered something really cool last night. All this time, I've had this sort of a stone which I use and it looks exactly like a lady bug. I've had this stone since years and never realized it. :laugh: Don't know why but I feel really connected to it and keep it very safely. It was given to me by my aunt.

celticnoodle said:
the ladybug is symbolic of a new love coming your way
You know, it's weird but I kept getting this message last night. After the ladybug incident, I removed my Healing with the Angels deck and asked what message these winged creatures had for me and got the cards 'New Love' and 'Romance'. I got these cards twice in two different spreads. Maybe love is in the air. :heart: ;) Isn't it great when you get these kind of signs from the universe. I just love symbols and signs. :)

Attachments

• DSC06579.JPG
    DSC06579.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC06580.JPG
    DSC06580.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 82

a_shikhs

memries said:
Wonderful information about ladybugs.

Also if you go to sweep them up they freeze and act like they are dead and then after a while they turn over and start crawling. I don't mind I just wait and pick them up and let them out.

I was happy to read the symbolism. I never even thought of checking that out.
Yes, I do that too. They act as if they are dead, and then I put them on a piece of paper and gently let them out. I've suddenly gotten really interested in symbolism and they definitely have a message for you when they keep recurring. :)

memries

a_shikhs maybe they think your stone is their granddaddy !

Love and romance ? darn and I just let them all out ! I could use a little romance.. forget the love part that gets very complicated.

tabbycat

In the UK we call them ladybirds and there's a rhyme that you say to make them go - "Ladybird, ladybird, fly away home, Your house is on fire and your children are gone." It apparently dates back to the 18th century and no-one's sure what it means.

celticnoodle

memries said:
:laugh: that's cute!
Love and romance ? darn and I just let them all out ! I could use a little romance.. forget the love part that gets very complicated.
oh memries, you are too cute! :)

happy mother's day btw to you, memries!

celticnoodle

tabbycat said:
In the UK we call them ladybirds and there's a rhyme that you say to make them go - "Ladybird, ladybird, fly away home, Your house is on fire and your children are gone." It apparently dates back to the 18th century and no-one's sure what it means.
we sang that one too--but said "ladybug, ladybug, fly away home." I think this rhyme had something to do with burning people alive--but I couldn't be sure, so I looked it up and found I was sort of correct---read on:

Ladybug Ladybug Rhyme
Nursery Rhyme & History

Traditional Nursery Rhyme
"Ladybug, ladybug" is chanted by children when a ladybug insect lands on their person. If the ladybug doesn't fly away of its own accord the child would gently blow it away chanting "Ladybug Ladybug fly away home". This insect is found every summer in the gardens of Britain - the most common colour is red with black spots, less common are the yellow variety. In Britain ladybugs are referred to as 'ladybirds'.
Ladybird History Connection - Gunpowder Plot Conspirators?
Farmers knew of the Ladybird's value in reducing the level of pests in their crops and it was traditional for them to cry out the rhyme before they burnt their fields following harvests ( this reduced the level of insects and pests) in deference to the helpful ladybird:

"Ladybird, ladybird fly away home,
Your house in on fire and your children are gone"

The English word ladybird is a derivative of the Catholic term " Our Lady". The tradition of calling this rhyme was believed to have been used as a seemingly innocent warning cry to Catholic (recusants) who refused to attend Protestant services as required by the Act of Uniformity (1559 & 1662). This law forbade priests to say Mass and forbade communicants to attend it. Consequently Mass was held secretly in the open fields. Laymen were subject to jail and heavy fines and priests to execution. Many priests were executed by the terrible death of being burnt alive at the stake or, even worse, being hung, drawn and quartered. The most famous English recusants were Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot Conspirators.
The American Version of the Lyrics
It is possible that the word Ladybird was exchanged for Ladybug, in the American version of the nursery rhyme, due the word association with Firebug meaning an arsonist or pyromaniac. The first publication date was 1865 and the word ladybird was used as opposed to ladybug. There has been some speculation that this Nursery Rhyme originates from the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666

a_shikhs

memries said:

Lol.. I've kept my stone in a far corner, away from the window. ;) So true - the love part is very complicated. :D

No ladybugs tonight. Guess they won't show up anymore as their message was delivered and well accepted. This was a fun experience. :)