Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Disa

Hiya Skydancer! Did I see you somplace on Sunday morning? :)

Hope you enjoy the IDS!

See ya around!

Disa

SolSionnach

I'm officially out of the IDS for now - I lasted 5 weeks, which wasn't too bad. I find myself suddenly wanting to do a study of the TdM (imagine that), and I'm already off and running with that.

Thanks for the support, I'll be checking back to see how things are going. :)

Hugs to all,
S

rwcarter

sravana said:
I'm officially out of the IDS for now - I lasted 5 weeks, which wasn't too bad. I find myself suddenly wanting to do a study of the TdM (imagine that), and I'm already off and running with that.

Thanks for the support, I'll be checking back to see how things are going. :)

Hugs to all,
S
S,

Are you out of the IDS or just changing your deck? If you're out, do stop by and say hey every so often....

Rodney

afrosaxon

easternsunrise said:
I have been feeling bad lately because I'm not sure if I've been doing this IDS thing well. I have been doing 3 card daily spreads/journaling daily, and haven't used any other decks but I feel I have so much more to learn about this deck. I kinda wish I had picked a deck that more people have participated in a study group with. I thought about studying one suit/card at a time but with some unexpected issues in my life (storm damage to my home) I feel a bit disconnected with life in general right now. I promised to study this deck until the 31st-which I will do, but am not sure if I should continue to study this one for another month or so-or start another IDS using a different deck that others have given more input to in the study groups. I'm getting accurate readings with this one but at this rate it will be forever until I randomly draw all of the cards in a spread. Any advice?:neutral:

Hi easternsunrise,

There is no right or wrong way to IDS; everyone does theirs a bit differently. It just matters what works for YOU. If you want to study beyond the 31st with the same deck, then do it (it worked for rwcarter [Ancient Egyptian Tarot], thorhammer [Wheel of Change Tarot] and Emily[Liber-T Tarot]). If you want to switch to another deck after the 31st, then do it.

As for the study group thing...the good thing about starting one from scratch is that you don't have to feel like you have to follow the party line, or what have you, in previous posts...you can set the standard for the group. :D This can hold true even for already established groups...when I updated the NOVT group with my IDS notes, it had been on hiatus for over a year and one of the main contributors is no longer on AT.

Just post your notes and keep it moving...build it, and they will come. ;)

As for going through the deck: well, why not go through the deck? When I IDS'd, I did a 3-card mind/body/spirit draw each day, in addition to studying one particular card on that day. I usually chose the suit I wanted to start with, then went through each card in that suit...when I finished all the suits, I went on to the majors until I completed the entire deck.

Good luck, and keep plugging along!

T.

Skydancer

I like that -- "build it and they will come." :)

Hi Disa! *waving*

Looking forward to getting into the PoW. But I am still finishing up the trimming. Only a few left to go.

*S*

SolSionnach

rwcarter said:
S,

Are you out of the IDS or just changing your deck? If you're out, do stop by and say hey every so often....

Rodney

Hey Rodney,
I don't know if I'm out or not... today I'm very interested in the TdM (I even bought the Hadar from amazon.ca) and some various reading styles which have nothing do to with each card having a set meaning (this thread, and others: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=101981) - but I tend to be hot and cold so I don't know if I'm making a commitment to continuing with an IDS or not. I do know that I have no desire to read with anything else, so perhaps I have switched to the TdM.

More in a couple of days, if I get things figured out.. ;)

rwcarter

sravana,

I'll be watching your progress with interest. TdM style decks don't speak to me right now, but that could change at any time....

Rodney

Faolainn Storm

Well, I'm still around. And still working, slowly but surely on my IDS with the Tarot of Dreams.

I've recently hit a bit of a wall with my study, so I broke the IDS rules and consulted my Frouds Faeries. They suggested I've lost my passion for the cards. Which is true. So I asked the Tarot of Dreams what to do about this (I'd already asked the faeries and all they kept saying was "find your passion". I already knew I needed to find my passion, but how, well, no help there. Typical faeries :rolleyes: ).
Anyway my cards came back 8 swords and 2 wands - trapped in an intellectual cage of my own making, and unable to choose between mind and passion! So for all i haven't really been using or study this deck, it really seems to know me. Over-intellectualising things has been a bad habit of mine my entire life.

So I really have to reconsider how I'm going about this study. What I'm doing is clearly not working, so it's time to re-evaluate.

Any suggestions?

Faolainn

thorhammer

Faolainn Storm said:
Well, I'm still around. And still working, slowly but surely on my IDS with the Tarot of Dreams.

I've recently hit a bit of a wall with my study, so I broke the IDS rules and consulted my Frouds Faeries. They suggested I've lost my passion for the cards. Which is true. So I asked the Tarot of Dreams what to do about this (I'd already asked the faeries and all they kept saying was "find your passion". I already knew I needed to find my passion, but how, well, no help there. Typical faeries :rolleyes: ).
Anyway my cards came back 8 swords and 2 wands - trapped in an intellectual cage of my own making, and unable to choose between mind and passion! So for all i haven't really been using or study this deck, it really seems to know me. Over-intellectualising things has been a bad habit of mine my entire life.

So I really have to reconsider how I'm going about this study. What I'm doing is clearly not working, so it's time to re-evaluate.

Any suggestions?

Faolainn
Well, maybe it's a matter of changing the way you're thinking about the deck, about each card, and about Tarot in general. Try to think of it as play, as a way for you to stop being all serious and intellectual and psychological, and just play with the pretty pictures :D. I sometimes play Solitaire with mine. Sort the deck into totally arbitrary, nonsensical piles like, "Green stones", "full body image", or other entirely strange categories, just to shake yourself out of the "normal" way of thinking.

Do silly readings. Tell stories. Remember that the Faeries, too, love a bit of silliness :D so they'll be in on it as well. Dance, pose like the characters in the cards, dress up like one?

A few ideas. Good luck, sweetie!

\m/ Kat

easternsunrise

Well after much thought about what to do with my IDS I've decided to switch to the Llewellyn. I have had it about a month and not touched it other than to check to be sure it was intact. Although the Inner Child Cards were great to work with I just seemed unable to study the deck the way I wanted to and the Llewellyn just keeps calling me. So my new commitment is to use the Llewellyn at least until August 31st-hopefully until the end of October. I will stay off the tarot deck threads (not buy any more decks), do daily 3 card spreads, journal daily and pick 1 card to study in depth each day. I plan to pick the in depth card by starting with the majors and working through the entire deck. Thanks for everyone support...wish me luck!

-Joanna