Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

SolSionnach

I need to catch up here - I've been putting in 10-12 hour days with the negotiation of our local opera company's union orchestra contract, and that took all my energy for days. It was exhausting, but we got a **terrific** contract! The day we finally finished it I drew the 10/coins - I took it to mean that we would actually finish that day, but given that the 10/coins is a pretty unpleasant card in Mel's system, that it would be a difficult process. As it turns out, it was difficult, but not awful... and we did finish the work. Painstaking work, that is.
Hooked on TdM said:
No, not really but they are a pain in the butt to write down. I write down exactly what I see and where in each card. It's the floral patterns in the pips that slow me down. :( I think the Major, pips and courts are all on equal standing for readability for me. None are worse or easier. Hooked
What kills me is that in one of the cards (4 batons? 4 swords?) the flower actually points downward when the card is upright. That's essential, IMO.
::looks through Hadar:: Actually, it's the 4 and 6 of epees - in both cases the flowers point down. You can tell which way is which with this deck because of the color choices Hadar made - blue is always on the right.
PolarBear said:
Hi sravana
Oooh, that's thought, I have Greer's book on tarot reversals and found that very useful, so I'll look out for this one too.
Cheers,
PolarBear
I hope you find a lot that is useful in Greer's courts book. I know I did! Good luck!
kisou said:
Thank you so much for the links!
Since my post a few days back, I picked up the deck I originally learned to read with, deciding to use it in the meantime before I found another deck to study and I'm coming to the realization on how much I've outgrown it XD! The decks are fully illustrated... but after working with a pip deck for so long, I'm so hesitant and unhappy about "going backwards". The links you posted are definitely the route I'd much rather take.
Pip decks... but vibrant ones!
I know, the Tarot du Roy Nissanka is vibrant - and you should also consider the Ibis, which I'm working on getting. If Tarot Garden was just quicker, I wouldn't be saving $$ by trading! I had the Ibis YEARS ago, and got rid of it because it was a pip deck. It will be my only Egyptian deck, as well. Oh, the Ukiyoe is also a pip deck of sorts, and you can find it for around $50 or so fairly easily...
Jamil said:
Hi All
I'd like to join in the IDS, if I may. ...
Wish me luck :)
Good luck, Jamil! Just remember that this is supposed to be fun, in addition to being a study. :)
Hooked on TdM said:
Hope you all are well and kicking with your IDS! If I keep going at this snails pace someone will have to kick me in the rear to get me going again! LOL
Consider yourself KICKED! :)

As far as me, there has been some more action in the TdM forums, so I have some more studying to do. But life is getting in the way! :rolleyes:

Prism

Hi again,

I can't stay away! I must be a serial monogamist when it comes to Tarot.

I thought I wanted to pick up the Scapini, but it seemed like it was going to way too much work for my life right now.

I started fooling around with the Victorian Romantic, and now I have been sucked in and want to commit to it until Halloween. The pictures are so pretty! It may be that that's all there is, but I think that's enough for me presently.

My only commitment is that I won't use any other decks until the end of October. I'm not going to make any other vows about what I'll be doing. I'm getting really lax!

Anyway, it's nice to be here (even though I feel like I'm a bit of a slacker).

Prism

rwcarter

Prism said:
Prism,

Slackers are welcome too! And if you ever need a (kinder and gentler) kick in the behind to get you jump started, you know we'd do that for you! ;) :laugh: })

Rodney

rwcarter

sravana said:
lol Rodney... the dark side is caaaaallling youuuuuu
;) Seriously, you should give it a look sometime. Like Alamaris, I just popped over there one day, and it was all OVER for me. Pips rule!
I'm a RWS baby. And I'm now into my 7th month with a Thoth-inspired deck. I'll get to TdMs one of these days....

But thanks for that heads up. Avoid the TdM forum until/unless I'm ready to be mesmerized.... :bugeyed: :laugh:

Rodney

Hooked on TdM

sravana said:
What kills me is that in one of the cards (4 batons? 4 swords?) the flower actually points downward when the card is upright. That's essential, IMO.
::looks through Hadar:: Actually, it's the 4 and 6 of epees - in both cases the flowers point down. You can tell which way is which with this deck because of the color choices Hadar made - blue is always on the right.

Consider yourself KICKED! :)

Yeah I find all sorts of interesting details when I go through my decks like that. I don't use reversals at all though. For me each card is it's own ying and yang and I just have to understand which side it's on when I'm reading! ;)

*rubs sore bum* yep I needed that! All my good intentions last night never happened. I journaled the last few days I was behind, reordered my deck and got engrossed in a movie! That was the end of that! I will try again tonight. *looks sheepish*

Prism said:

Welcome back! :) Your not the only slacker around here! I've been getting really bad for it this time around! ;)

Hooked

Alamaris

rwcarter said:
[size=+2]Welcome back Alamaris!!!!![/size] I guess I know what this means for the Lazy Afternoon Tarot....

Rodney
Thank you! And don't despair, I've still got my mind set on finishing it eventually. :laugh: Even if the minors end up more like "moody minors" than RWS replicas.

sravana said:
Alamaris, great choice with the Hadar! :) Highly recommended and all that.
Which threads in the TdM forum are you looking at? A lot of people read TdM using EE's methods, but I'm working with the very detailed (and fun!) Melanchollic methods. :)
Isn't it just a lovely TDM? I had my eye on a Fournir (sp?) for a while, but decided it was too colorful. The Hadar is just right.

EE's methods just plain baffled me, actually. Was reading through pages of people gushing over it and here I'm going HUH?? Mel's methods baffle me too, but I'm closer to understanding those...they seem more "concrete" somehow. EE's seem wonderful, but a little ephemeral for my taste. I'm thinking of posting something over in the Astrological Spread area for you and the rest of the die-hards to help me dissect. :p It might be a day or two, though, since I'm having many guests at a gathering/sleepover tonight -- I have a feeling alcohol may become involved somehow, in which case I'm going to have to play nanny and tuck most of them into bed...!

Promise

Welcome back Alamaris!

And welcome to those who have decided to IDS along with us :)

My IDS is moving along rather slowly, but to be honest, I like it better that way; it gives me plenty of time to really get deeper into the cards and into the overall framework of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I'm finding freedom in not having set a time-line for this IDS. I have no projected finished date because I'm not sure that I'll ever truly be finished.

So far I've been journaling on each card by hand in a spiral notebook, but I'm not happy with it. I think I'd rather blog each card first and then once I'm "done", transfer it all into a nice journal; makes less unused space and also lets me brainstorm a bit more freely. I definitely do want to move it all into a nice journal eventually though, just so I can have something concrete.

I'm having some trouble with The Pole Star; it's one of my favorite cards in the deck, but I'm just struggling with it. I don't know where to start, and once I start, I don't have the right words to put across what my brain is thinking. So many thoughts, so few words...

Hooked on TdM

I finally got some cards done! I did the last 5 coupe pips! All the coupe is done now. Only 30 more cards to go! :p

I did a daily draw too. I'm now using two cards to be read as one, for what tomorrow's focus will be. I drew le Pendu and La Force. I took this to mean that I will have to summon the courage to see and do things in a different manner. I will be challenged to step outside my box.

Tomorrow should be interesting! hehe

I feel much better now that I've actually accomplished something. :)

Hooked

Promise

I just now finished up my entry for the Pole Star. I have to be up for work in...less than 6 hours and I'm still awake, so I figured I'd be somewhat productive and get some Tarot stuff accomplished. Depending on how my shift goes tomorrow, I may or may not get another card knocked out. I'll at least meditate on my next card, but I may not have the energy to get anything written.

We'll just have to see how it all pans out.

I'm off to make a half-hearted attempt at sleep. Happy Sunday, everyone!

Quantum James

I pledged to work daily with Mel's Simple Cross, which I really like, as part of my IDS. Yesterday on a whim I tried the 8 Obelisks spread that is in outlined the Liber T LWB, and boy does it pack a punch! It really invigorated my energy for IDS and I was journalling happily away about that spread.

I also had an idea for combining Mel's simple cross with the 8 Obelisks spread (because it too contains a cross). I think my slump is over - Much fun! :D