Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

rwcarter

Quantum James said:
Not sure how the Majors fit into this idea - possibly journal in complimentary pairs? hmmm...
QJ,

You could try a Tarot Constellations approach like I did for the Ancient Egyptian. (You can see the posts in the AET Study Group if you're interested.) Basically, if you're going to study the 2s, then you would also study the High Priestess (II) and Strength/Justice (whichever one is XI in your deck).

This approach utilizes 1-9 because of its numerological basis. So you either have to study the 10s with the Aces, Magician, Wheel and Sun or you have to break the 10s out and figure out how/if you're going to parcel out the Majors. I guess you could study the Magician with the Aces and the Wheel and Sun with the 10s. Or you could study all three Majors with both the Aces and 10s.

HTH,
Rodney

Hooked on TdM

Welcome Sapienza & Teomat!

Well I've started doing my daily draw again and did a few of the pips. Yesterday was completely blown as I'm fighting off an evil migraine. I've realized that all of the books I have don't go very well with this deck. Its variation from the standard TdM's messes with the flow there. So I've tossed the books aside for now. It's just me and the deck currently. Slowly but surely I'm getting back into it.

Hooked

SolSionnach

Hooked on TdM said:
Welcome Sapienza & Teomat!

Well I've started doing my daily draw again and did a few of the pips. Yesterday was completely blown as I'm fighting off an evil migraine.
Begone, evil migraine!!!
Hooked on TdM said:
I've realized that all of the books I have don't go very well with this deck. Its variation from the standard TdM's messes with the flow there. So I've tossed the books aside for now. It's just me and the deck currently. Slowly but surely I'm getting back into it.

Hooked
Hm. In what way do the books get in your way? And are you still referring to the 1JJ swiss?

Me, I'm too busy freaking out over the financial mess to do much with tarot, though I guess this is the best time to mull things over with a deck, eh?

Hooked on TdM

sravana said:
Begone, evil migraine!!!
Oh I so wish you could wave a magic wand and make it go away. All the Advil in the world is not making this bugger off. It's better today though, I can see now and don't puke at the sound of my breathing. Ugh.
sravana said:
Hm. In what way do the books get in your way? And are you still referring to the 1JJ swiss?
Yep I'm referring to the 1JJ Swiss. Most of the books I have deal with the iconography that is specific to TdM Standards. The 1JJ Swiss deviates way to much to be of use. For example: The 1JJ Swiss has a man serenading a lady in the moon card. The towers and dogs are missing. The Sun card has a lady sharing a book with a young child. There is no brick wall and twins. So the books will have to wait for another IDS with a standard deck... not sure which one yet though!
sravana said:
Me, I'm too busy freaking out over the financial mess to do much with tarot, though I guess this is the best time to mull things over with a deck, eh?
It would be ideal! ;) I'll cross my fingers for your financial mess. Those are never fun!

Hooked

SolSionnach

Hooked on TdM said:
Oh I so wish you could wave a magic wand and make it go away. All the Advil in the world is not making this bugger off. It's better today though, I can see now and don't puke at the sound of my breathing. Ugh.
{{{{Hooked}}}}
Hooked on TdM said:
Yep I'm referring to the 1JJ Swiss. Most of the books I have deal with the iconography that is specific to TdM Standards. The 1JJ Swiss deviates way to much to be of use. For example: The 1JJ Swiss has a man serenading a lady in the moon card. The towers and dogs are missing. The Sun card has a lady sharing a book with a young child. There is no brick wall and twins. So the books will have to wait for another IDS with a standard deck... not sure which one yet though!
That sounds like the Soprafino/Classical Tarot/Della Roca style! Have a look at your Classical - except for Juno and Jupiter, that is...
Hooked on TdM said:
It would be ideal! ;) I'll cross my fingers for your financial mess. Those are never fun!
Hooked
Oh, it's not *my* financial mess - I'm doing okay and on a pretty even keel - it's the US's near financial meltdown, which threatens to take the economies of much of the world down with it. And, of course, that includes moi... unless I move to Tahiti or some such.

Not to make you nervous or anything... :bugeyed:

Onyx

Joining the IDS Party!

After a crazy and deck hopping summer I am now ready to embrace the next season of my life with a new deck and a new whole concept of Tarot. As I am listening to "The Process" I have decided that I am ready to clear my desk of all the tarot noise and nonsense and get down to basics again. And when I mean basic, I mean basic. I have determined it is time for me to tackle the wonderful world of non-illustrated pips.

The TdM has been taunting me for about six to seven months as unattainable. I have also begun to feel the limitations of the images on the cards as they seem to have strangled some of the potential meaning from a card. Also I have seen how the there were times when a sitter can not see the variety and depth of a cards meaning.

I have decided to start on Monday September's Equinox and continue until December's Solstice using only a TdM deck. {Okay, minor issue, I don't actually have a TdM deck yet. I have a couple on order and should be here next week. I am going to get them and then choose the one to stick with then. But until then I am principly going to stay with a deck of regular playing cards and not do readings for others until the decks arrive.}

Materials: I am going to continue with "The Process" and only use my journal for that during the three months.

Exceptions: 1) I help teach a class in my area. The class is essentially RWS based therefore I will use my notes, sources and Universal Waite for that class only. 2) I know someone who is accepting students to mentor who has a wide range of wisom with the TdM. I may ask her to take me on for this study time and then would obediently follow her advice.

New Deck Purchases: I am not purchasing any new decks except those I currently have on pre-order (Dark Grimorie and the rerelease of the Vertigo) and will allow a weekend two days!) each for looking and handling these cards but no readings of any kind until after the IDS is over.

Excersices: I will complete any and all assignements from The Process and I will do them in order and before I move forward to the next lesson. I will also complete any and all assignements I get from a mentor.

I think that is all I am willing to commit to at this time. I am a mix of much fear and trembeling but also excitement becuase this will with out a doubt be a huge step for my Tarot practice.

Onyx.

sapienza

Thanks for the welcomes Kat and Hooked. And welcome Onyx.

Since making my committment to the Thoth in this thread I have felt strangely compelled to look through all my other decks. So, today that is what I did. The bad thing about this was that it wasted a whole afternoon that I could have spent with my Thoth. The good thing was that although I enjoyed browsing through my old decks I did not feel even slightly inclined to work with any of them. I just kept thinking about the Thoth and comparing them to the Thoth and wondering why it wasn't the Thoth I was looking.

So, in short, I feel more sure than ever that the Thoth is the deck for me. I'm currently working with the medium size version and have the large one on order. I can't wait until it arrives but there has been an extended delay. (I do have a large one but it's a 'greenie' and the colours just don't work for me).

I have been drawing cards daily and am trying to decide if I should give myself a bit more structure or just go with the flow. No journalling so far, I've mostly been reading and looking. I think it could be time to try some readings so that might be my next step.

Hope everyone is going well with their decks.

Hemera

I have been taking part in the "Vanessa Party" at the Study Groups this weekend. It has been a lot of fun! I have also been feeling a little guilty.. But the more I have studied the lovely Vanessa deck, the more I have also started to miss my very own Faerie Tarot..
So, maybe dating other decks is not that bad after all? You get perspective and you learn more about why you love the particular deck so much, etc. ??

*Off to start a Study Group thread for my Faerie Tarot "Death" now..*

SolSionnach

Onyx said:
After a crazy and deck hopping summer I am now ready to I have determined it is time for me to tackle the wonderful world of non-illustrated pips.
Onyx.
Yay Onyx! Welcome to the world of the TdM! Hooked on TdM and I are doing the IDS with the TdM - well, she's actually using the 1JJ Swiss for now, but has done a lot of reading with the TdM - and I'm getting more and more involved with Melanchollic's methods, as seen in the TdM forum.

Which decks do you have on order? I have several: Hadar (my IDS deck), the mini Jodo/Camoin TdM, the Fournier (which I've had for years!), and a couple of juicy reprints: a Meneghello (Sverria (sp!) 1804 and the Heron Jacques Vieville.
ETA: if you like the Process, you might really like EE's TdM reading thread, as well...

Hooked on TdM

Welcome Onyx! Another TdM'er! We are getting to be quite the bunch here.

I'm sure there is someone else using one in the IDS, but for the life of me I can not remember who!

Sravana: Yeah I followed your lead and compared the Classical Tarot with the 1JJ Swiss. Your right they are many many similarities! Isn't there another Italian historical deck that has Juno and Jupiter? I know it's not the Ancient Italian although that is similar to both of these too. I do love that Classical one. It's just too gorgeous for words! :)

I did managed to get four card by card studies done this evening and a few draws. I'm almost done the suit of Epee! A few more days and I should be finished it. I think I'm going to work on a few comparisons with the Classical also. A bit of structure work and whola I will be done! It's sure taking me a lot longer than I expected!

Hooked

ETA: Migraine finally went away! Sravana your magic wand worked! ;)