Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

SolSionnach

I had answered this yesterday, but then I had a computer lockup (don't tell me that Macs do that TOO
Onyx said:
It is okay, I can handle a little enabling. The checkbook is a great force to understand the reality of what can and cannot join my every growing collection.
I wish my checkbook were so strong! I recently received the Meneghello Visconti-Sforza, and ordered thinbuddha's Payen restoration. That was an 'easy' $100 (gulp!) :eek: I thought that I would then sell the vintage 2000 version of teh LS Visconti that I have... but when I got it out I found that I didn't want to sell it! :bugeyed: So much for recouping my loss LOL.
Onyx said:
My current ISD "Deck" includes The Crystal, The Hermitic, The Ancient Tarot of Lombardy, 1JJ Swiss, Tarot Classic, The Haindl, and The Fournier Tarot de Marseille.
I don't know if I could deal with such a wide-ranging comparison study! The only one of those decks that I haven't owned is the Lombardy - but trying to mix the Hermetic in with the older decks would be a real stretch for me, because it is so esoterically based. Before I settled on the Vieville I had given Liber T a look - but in order to use that deck (with it's straightforward Golden Dawn meanings, including Kaballah, etc) I would've had to ditch the elemental attribs that I've been working with, and there is also a big difference in the numbers (5 as negative/Geburah vs. 5 as Air/Marriage card/positive in Pythagorean number theory). That being said, YMMV, as it obviously does. We're going at this from completely different directions, it seems.
Onyx said:
Each deck though without scenes depicts a sense of the card that is very unique. Journalling has helped me to come to terms with my meanings and though I continue to develop schemes of different meanings I am learning to look deeper than just the image. Sure I can handle swords as water, Juno as the High Pristess and Wands with a green background. Ultimately I have been able to look at pattern of card combinations, structure of spreads and how they work or don't.
I bet you're excited about your work - I know I am about mine! I wish I could post a pic of a regular TdM 3/Deniers, and the Vieville 3/Deniers. They are **completely** different cards - the Vieville is a veritable RIOT of color and energy, while the TdM... not so much. It's almost like a child's copy of that card. Very *very* different. Perhaps I need to get out that card from each of my pip decks, and see where that leads me. :rolleyes: ... thinking...

Well, I don't have time for that today, perhaps tomorrow.
Onyx said:
What I love is the variety to change and still keep with the same study. I am able to try out my ideas of what the cards can mean personally. It is all part also of my undertaking "The Process".
Umbrae's process, right?
Onyx said:
It has been great and very enlightening. The different decks have a different feel and compel me to consider if I can cut and paste my meanings. Can I? I do it with RWS images all the time. But comparing the Hermitic with the 1JJ Swiss, not normally a deck comparison study, see that cards are different even if I try to fit similar keywords. I fear that either way I will depart this study in time with a startling understanding. It could be at a 2 of Cups in not always the same in one deck as another.
I think that is exactly right. The 2/Cups is not the same from one deck to another. Thus is the freedom from leaving all those RWS clones behind... the card opens up like a flower.
Onyx said:
I have a firm belief that the Tarot is a flexible and responsive tool that meets the reader where they are. And as true wisdom is never discovered but rather remembered I am seeing that that magic is not in the cards but in myself, but also it is in the cards. Oh, the wonder and the exquisite mystery of the Tarot!
Onyx.
Bravo, Onyx! High fives and all that. :) :party:

As for me, I've been posting my daily draws here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1665803&posted=1#post1665803 if anyone is interested in taking a look. My draw of the Devil card for yesterday was prescient, to say the least.

vee

sravana said:
OMG I am soooo jealous!!!! Please yell a bit louder for me, okay? I :heart: Chicago, I :heart: Grant Park and the riverfront... and I REALLY :heart: Obama! :)

I yelled for you! :) It was a great time. I was in the ticketed area, and got there pretty early so I was pretty close to the stage area. I was kind of nervous about going, so I drew a card from the DruidCraft--and it was Rebirth, which the book says is a "call for change!" I'm definitely glad I went, it was such a positive experience.

sravana said:
Welcome to the IDS - have fun with it! :)

Thanks! I am, actually. My boyfriend is doing it with me with his Thoth deck, and we're having fun comparing and learning and blogging.

SolSionnach

vee said:
I yelled for you! :) It was a great time. I was in the ticketed area, and got there pretty early so I was pretty close to the stage area. I was kind of nervous about going, so I drew a card from the DruidCraft--and it was Rebirth, which the book says is a "call for change!" I'm definitely glad I went, it was such a positive experience.
Oh man. If things go well with this administration, you will have a grand story to tell for years and years.

That being said, what about that dress??? :bugeyed: I didn't care for it at all... :eek:

Oh - back on topic.
My IDS has been on the back burner the past several days, but hopefully I will be able to do a daily draw with some posting tomorrow. I haven't even gotten the deck out of it's box/bag in days, it seems. :(

Of course, the holidays are fast approaching, so time will be more and more tight... *and* I'm getting thinbuddha's Payen deck, so I'm sure that will knock me off course a bit. I haven't done any spreads lately, but I feel one coming up in a few days.

Hope you all are looking forward to a grand weekend! :)

missycab

Well, I started with another deck. I'll save the rest of the Thoth for later.

So now I'm studying the Herbal Tarot, courtesy of Lewen (from our Oracle Exchange).

The good thing about this deck is that is not only tarot, so I'm also learning a lot about herbs!

SolSionnach

Hi missycab,
Is that the one that Michael Tierra consulted on? As a Chinese Herbalist, I've wondered about that deck and what I might learn about Western herbs from it. I can recommend another couple of references for Western herbs - the Druid Plant Oracle has some herbs (as well as foodstuffs/trees/etc), and there is a book called "A Druid's Herbal" which looks pretty good for Western herbs from a medical/magickal perspective. You can probably find that last one remaindered on Amazon. Then there's also Susun Weed's website and books for more on Western herbs. :) :) Go crazy with it! :party:

I'm glad I found this thread again, because I'd completely forgotten that I needed to draw a CoD! D'oh! :eek: That's how far my head is from tarot this week.

:::Sravana runs off to draw her CoD, and will journal it right now!:::

Skydancer

A card a day??? :bugeyed:
Since I trimmed the Voyager I'm still having *fun* telling the Majors apart ---- which I sensibly separated from the rest of the pack. Did that much right so far!!

But I do find that later looking at the card description it helps me see more of what is in the card. Some parts are very small. But once I know what's there - which is not hard once I read up on it (although the book does not tell it ALL) I remember them and they come to mind when next I turn up that card to read with. Sort of - I draw 2 cards for Umbrae's Window and Door spread and do a real/make-believe reading from them. Majors only, of course!

*S*

SolSionnach

Skydancer said:
A card a day??? :bugeyed:
Nope, not a card a day. I was gunning for 4 a week, but the last time I posted was 6 days ago, but I had done more than that the previous several days. So it's a card a day when I have time and remember to do it!
Skydancer said:
Since I trimmed the Voyager I'm still having *fun* telling the Majors apart ---- which I sensibly separated from the rest of the pack. Did that much right so far!!
Very good! I remember really loving the Sun card in that deck.
Skydancer said:
But I do find that later looking at the card description it helps me see more of what is in the card. Some parts are very small. But once I know what's there - which is not hard once I read up on it (although the book does not tell it ALL) I remember them and they come to mind when next I turn up that card to read with. Sort of - I draw 2 cards for Umbrae's Window and Door spread and do a real/make-believe reading from them. Majors only, of course!
That sounds like a really good spread to do with a deck that you're not familiar with. I'm going to search for it, because that could really help me with the Vieville. Thanks for writing about it. This community rocks! :)

missycab

sravana said:
Hi missycab,
Is that the one that Michael Tierra consulted on? As a Chinese Herbalist, I've wondered about that deck and what I might learn about Western herbs from it. I can recommend another couple of references for Western herbs - the Druid Plant Oracle has some herbs (as well as foodstuffs/trees/etc), and there is a book called "A Druid's Herbal" which looks pretty good for Western herbs from a medical/magickal perspective. You can probably find that last one remaindered on Amazon. Then there's also Susun Weed's website and books for more on Western herbs. :) :) Go crazy with it! :party:

I'm glad I found this thread again, because I'd completely forgotten that I needed to draw a CoD! D'oh! :eek: That's how far my head is from tarot this week.

:::Sravana runs off to draw her CoD, and will journal it right now!:::

Yes, is the one with Michael Tierra. There are some Western herbs, but most of the ones I've seen (I'm doing one or two cards a day) are from Europe. Some of them can also be found in Asia.

And thanks for the tips on more books!! :thumbsup:

SolSionnach

missycab said:
Yes, is the one with Michael Tierra. There are some Western herbs, but most of the ones I've seen (I'm doing one or two cards a day) are from Europe. Some of them can also be found in Asia.

And thanks for the tips on more books!! :thumbsup:
Hi Missycab,
Actually, from my perspective the European herbs are called Western, versus the Chinese, called Eastern! :)

I hope your studies are going well...

As far as mine go, I've started just reading with the Hadar for now, drawing a couple of cards from time to time. I'm gearing up for the holiday season here, and there's a lot more on my plate than just the studying. I don't know that my IDS is over, but it's changing into something more organic.

missycab

sravana said:
Hi Missycab,
Actually, from my perspective the European herbs are called Western, versus the Chinese, called Eastern! :)

I hope your studies are going well...

As far as mine go, I've started just reading with the Hadar for now, drawing a couple of cards from time to time. I'm gearing up for the holiday season here, and there's a lot more on my plate than just the studying. I don't know that my IDS is over, but it's changing into something more organic.

Ohhh... yes, you're right. I always confuse: west/ east, right/left. so I can say: turn left, and I mean "turn right".