Transparent Tarot - 1 - The Magician

rwcarter

The Magician shows two intertwined dragons, one red and one white, apparently in flight.

Dragons
  • may represent that which is mysterious or magical
  • symbolize the deeper reaches of the unconscious or the unknown
  • may symbolize fears, repressed feelings or emotions
  • may represent some bestial element that must be defeated with strength and discipline
  • symbolize wisdom, strength and hidden knowledge
  • may personify difficulties that must be overcome before an important goal can be attained
  • when intertwined represent opposites in dualism - good and evil, binding and loosing, etc; they also symbolize equilibrium

The imagery suggests coming face-to-face with either a friend or enemy. It may suggests a mating ritual or any type of ritual dance or action. It also may represent the beginning of aggression or passion.

Rodney

Sidhe-Ra

It's great to see you working through these, Rodney!

You might want to look into the symbolism of Red and White in alchemy and mythology, and the story of Vortigern's tower and the young Merlin.

Em xx

rwcarter

Looking at the greater significance of red and white (not just from the Alchemical standpoint), they are both colors of confidence. Red increases energy levels while white brings spiritual growth and peace. Red suggests sexuality and love while white represents purity or virginity. Red represents passion while white represents calmness, relaxation and inner peace. Red indicates power or danger while white indicates protection, happiness and divine glory. Alchemically, red and white form a duality (blood and sperm or masculine and feminine according to different sources) and therefore are associated with creation.

Rodney

Faolainn Storm

rwcarter said:
The imagery suggests coming face-to-face with either a friend or enemy. It may suggests a mating ritual or any type of ritual dance or action. It also may represent the beginning of aggression or passion.

I find this interpretation fascinating. My first thought was, as Em suggested, the story of Vortigern's tower and Merlin:

Merlin was the son of no mortal father, but of an Incubus, one of a class of beings not absolutely wicked, but far from good, who inhabit the regions of the air. Merlin's mother was a virtuous young woman, who, on the birth of her son, intrusted him to a priest, who hurried him to the baptismal fount, and so saved him from sharing the lot of his father, though he retained many marks of his unearthly origin.

At this time Vortigern reigned in Britain. He was an usurper, who had caused the death of his sovereign, Moines, and driven the two brothers of the late king, whose names were Uther and Pendragon, into banishment. Vortigern, who lived in constant fear of the return of the rightful heirs of the kingdom, began to erect a strong tower for defense. The edifice, when brought by the workmen to a certain height, three times fell to the ground, without any apparent cause. The king consulted his astrologers on this wonderful event, and learned from them that it would be necessary to bathe the corner-stone of the foundation with the blood of a child born without a mortal father.

In search of such an infant, Vortigern sent his messengers all over the kingdom, and they by accident discovered Merlin, whose lineage seemed to point him out as the individual wanted. They took him to the king; but Merlin, young as he was, explained to the king the absurdity of attempting to rescue the fabric by such means, for he told him the true cause of the instability of the tower was its being placed over the den of two immense dragons, whose combats shook the earth above them. The king ordered his workmen to dig beneath the tower, and when they had done so they discovered two enormous serpents, the one white as milk, the other red as fire. The multitude looked on with amazement, till the serpents, slowly rising from their den, and expanding their enormous folds, began the combat, when every one fled in terror, except Merlin, who stood by clapping his hands and cheering on the conflict. The red dragon was slain, and the white one, gliding through a cleft in the rock, disappeared.

These animals typified, as Merlin afterwards explained, the invasion of Uther and Pendragon, the rightful princes, who soon after landed with a great army. Vortigern was defeated, and afterwards burned alive in the castle he had taken such pains to construct. On the death of Vortigern, Pendragon ascended the throne. Merlin became his chief adviser, and often assisted the king by his magical arts.

from Bulfinch's Mythology

So to me the two dragons represent Merlin and his powers of prophecy as archetypes of the Magician.

I will have to think some more on some of the points you have raised as possible meanings. You have raised some points that are new to me, and therefore deserve some thought.

FS

Sidhe-Ra

One of the other concepts represented by the red and white dragons is the Norse creation myth of Fire and Ice. Whereas traditionally the Magician has all the elements at his disposal, we have here the Red dragon symbolising fire and the White symbolising Ice. When these two forces meet, creation begins...

Sidhe-Ra

Also if we look deeper into the symbolism of the Merlin story, it is not just Merlin's power of prophecy that is represented, but the polarities of the ancient magick of the Earth and Stars. These dragons are very potent energies in their own right which can be worked with.

Also the intertwininess, (yes, i made that up but I'm feeling poorly and allowed to), is an echo of the Caduceus and a symbol not only of Merlin, but Hermes.

rwcarter

Faolainn Storm said:
I will have to think some more on some of the points you have raised as possible meanings. You have raised some points that are new to me, and therefore deserve some thought.
I'm approaching my study of this deck from two perspectives - what the symbolism says to me from an intuitive perspective and what resonates for me from the various books I have on what symbols mean. So what works for me may not work for you.

Rodney

inanna_tarot

picking up on Em's point about the powers of the red and white, as the land and the stars etc. There is a druid order, order of the pendragon, where they magically work with unleashing and bringing the red and white dragons in harmony between us. They cross at our chakra points creating friction and energy. Looking at the dragons they come from our root chakra, the source of our energy and cross at the sacral and our solar plexus before meeting again at our crown. So its that combination of the raw energy of the land, and the celestial. So its a sort of 3d power exchange not just up and down. If we see other Magician cards their energy is a product of calling and feeling this energy snake around them, so here we have the cause not the 'product' of the Magician card.

Also though, the dragons to be arent fighting to become one, there are moments when one is overpowering the other. That magic and energy doesnt WANT to be balanced. Sometimes we need to be more one way or the other.. and if we think about it, we draw energy too feel charged, not always to become all peace and light and hippy lol.

So far when ive been playing with the cards, they always seem to reflect 2 people not 2 energies. But then we can be polarities within a relationship.

Faolainn Storm

Just randomly mixing the majors into CIs I combined the Magician and the Lovers and the idea of the Alchemical Wedding was the result. The combination of the intertwined red and white dragons with the yin-yang and heart is a fasciating and compelling image.

FS

inanna_tarot

I was talking to a magician friend of mine (card trick type magician) about how bemused I am about this card. I showed him hoping he'd give me some wonderful insight that blew me away. And midway through our convo I said..
'ya know, i dont think I need to know why hes mysterious, he just is, like a magician only becomes magical when you dont know how the trick is done. These dragons are powerful to me and thats their meaning, not working out why they are powerful. Magicians, like dragons, just are'

And something clicked. Rather than the mystery of the moon, this mystery is like trickster child like glee, enchantment and 'instant' wonder. Rather than the darker deeper Mysteries of the Moon.

But I love the dragons :D