Ethics on Where to Read Cards

Seafra

Welf said:
... just curious really to how far one could push this...

Welf
Too far probably. ;)

Welf

Seafra
Too far probably. ;)
Ok..... no worries.. I must remember that if I ever find myself landed in the Hotel Lobby you manage.. I'll cover the Tarot Book and my journal in brown paper... and print a title on the front cover that says something like... This is a book about my favourite Dog Breeds...

Welf

Seafra

Sinduction said:
That's actually funny because here our psychic fairs are in a hotel lobby! :D

The type of hotel that has a convention center and/or a lobby to accommodate a fair is a far different animal from the ocean side hotel I work at.

My city is FAR from a bohemian city. There's no new age shops here at all. We have swamp yankees aka WASPs of colonial heritage. George Washington slept here (and here and here ... you get the picture).

As I said in another thread you can visit haunted mansions, tour a haunted cemetery, but you'd be hard pressed to find decent incense where I live.

Seafra

Welf said:
Ok..... no worries.. I must remember that if I ever find myself landed in the Hotel Lobby you manage.. I'll cover the Tarot Book and my journal in brown paper... and print a title on the front cover that says something like... This is a book about my favourite Dog Breeds...

Welf

A hotel I manage? mmm, k. I'm not out to change the world. I have a job I like and I follow the rules and guidelines set by the owner. There would be (and I am saying this for the last time) no problem with reading religious material in the lobby. To read the cards, stick the voodoo dolls with pins, kneel facing mecca, form a prayer circle of two ... no. This all can be done in the privacy of your room without affecting all of the other guests.

Welf

Seafra;
My city is FAR from a bohemian city. There's no new age shops here at all. We have swamp yankees aka WASPs of colonial heritage. George Washington slept here (and here and here ... you get the picture).

As I said in another thread you can visit haunted mansions, tour a haunted cemetery, but you'd be hard pressed to find decent incense where I live.
I've never come across a situation like that... But I can see where for you, it could be quite a problem and truly not worth the trouble in pushing boundaries too far.. I was simply seeing how far one could take it though...

It's not like you would go, to say a wedding and then pull your Tarot cards out on the table at the reception to do a reading just before the bride and groom were ready to arrive would you?

Welf

Rev_Vesta

for me personally is about using your commonsense....

Look at the location......look at how the tables and chairs are situated... how close to the other guests.........

Be considerate in all aspects of your life including when and where you choose to read tarot.........

for me personally I don't read for clients in any place that is liable to upset anyone..........

I have read for myself in cafe's and usually will get some interest out of the staff and an appointment for a reading in my Healing Centre....I would certainly not conduct my business on someone els's premises without permission first...that can land you in allsorts of trouble legally........

I prefer Expos or Fairs......if reading in a public venue.......usually surrounded by screens....

for me personally I think how I conduct myself in public shows how tarot readers behave...(unfortunately people generalize.......like this HOtel Owner who banned everyone from one city because how this group behaved......yes it truly happened in NZ>>>)How crazy? but how you behave reflects on others of similar group......Think Think Think....

I agree Seafra... as Manager you do need to think about other guests.....and the city you live in is very different from other cities within the States.. and other cities within the world......NZ is very open to things but we still have people that think it is Devil's work etc.......so it is important to be descreet with Tarot in public places.........I certainly get upset when get confronted by extremists who think I am in cohutes with the Devil because of who I am ....and what I do.......not that they know the real me..... so yes I agree I would certainly not read for a client/friend in the lobby of a hotel or any public place without permission first from the Manager/owner.......

Vesta

nisaba

Also, I wouldn't read *anywhere* on private property for money without the owner's express consent.

Recently I pulled out a deck and did an impromptu reading for a friend when we met somewhere for a coffee, but it wasn't planned (it was an extension of our conversation) and I *certainly* didn't have signage up making offers, nor was I spruiking the other patrons. That's just sleazy - if you're going to read or do other things for money in a business, it has to be with the business's consent. After all, they're paying the rent and the public liability insurance.

214red

I agree with all of what thirteen said

Thirteen said:
Funny thing, but thinking back on it I *have* done readings in a hotel lobby. I was not asked to stop by any of the staff, but then I kept the readings to a quiet back area (there were little individual tables and chairs), and I was part of a convention of people all fine with tarot cards and unlikely to complain.

I think it has a lot to do with the lobby layout itself. If there are little islands of tables and chairs where people can have "private" conversations, then it's often okay, as it would be okay for people at such islands to pray or do a quick, minimalist religious service. Where it runs into trouble in a hotel lobby is when the other people there can't escape it. When everyone is sitting next to one another or when the areas are open to all and people are very much mixed at those tables and chairs because there aren't a lot of them. So you have to share. Your reading is going to take up room on that shared table. What you say is going to be overhead by those on the chairs around it. It becomes discourteous.

Likewise, I think for a hotel lobby. How much will you be encroaching on others? As with the breastfeeding, it's courteous to be discreet about such things not only for the sake of the querent and the reading, but also to not make others feel that you're imposing on them. We all have to be more neutral if we're crowded together on the same couch as compared to having our own table and chairs.

i dont spread all over a table i share as thats not really fair and i wouldnt like it tf someone decided to get out things on a joint table that I might find offensive (like a bible etc), if I really did want to do a reading on a shared space I would ask if they minded because that is shoving it in their face.

when i say reading it can just be for myself, not always for someone else.

BTW I have been verbally assulted a number of times when people see my cards, I simply ignore them and don’t engage with them, they cause the disturbance by shouting at me.

littlestar

I think it's more about where querent and reader feels comfortable, rather than where's an ethical place to read.

Seafra

214red said:
i dont spread all over a table i share as thats not really fair and i wouldnt like it tf someone decided to get out things on a joint table that I might find offensive (like a bible etc), if I really did want to do a reading on a shared space I would ask if they minded because that is shoving it in their face.

when i say reading it can just be for myself, not always for someone else

How can you say tarot cards are not offensive and bibles are? Tarot cards are like newspapers but "bibles etc" aren't? Where is your respect for the beliefs of others as you argue for the right to display your own? That, to me, is very unbalanced thinking.

IMO the bible is not offensive in the least -- but a person who thumps it in my face is.