Satori

Fourth Group:
The Lava Lamps
Aulruna-GER
Wendy Wu-UK
Mi-Shell-CAN
thorhammer-AUS
Satori-USA

Rock on Lava Lamps! Make your home here!

Swap ideas for your kits, post your definite No-No's and later when the kits have been mailed and adored, we'll do our reading circles.

You have one week to assemble your goods. The first person on your list gets her goodies first. I leave it up to you to make sure you trade addresses, but will check back to make sure no one gets left behind!!!

Feel free to pop into the other rooms and see what is going on in there. We are a family and we need to stay connected. Use the main thread for group discussion as well.

Have fun!

Wendywu

I loved Mi-Shell's post about the things she'd prefer:

Mi-Shell said:
What Thorhammer said stands for me too:

The skull of a Mouse
is welcome in my house!
Stone, bone and tooth
intuition sets loose!:)

Wish bone of a Chicken
my mind will start ticking!
Leather fur and feather
my senses un-tatter

An ancient old coin
from a purse at your loin
will speak of wants and needs
- and I soo do love seeds!

A gem from Mother Earth
finds a home at my hearth
but modern stufff and plastic - ??
I consider it caustic :(

And I have to say that it makes total sense to me too - and I also echo thorhammer..... I'd definitely prefer animal, stone or mineral things. Also differing woods have wildly different voices.

As to me - I am a student of shamanic practice; I am English - specifically Cornish, and have a huge affinity with the soil of Cornwall and stones of anywhere at all. I love dogs, the old fashioned long haired cattle, horses - al of Gaia's creations really. I am a lover of Ironwing and the things she uses to teach me - bells, coils, spikes and blades. I'd adore some real turtle or tortoise shell....

I'm afraid that things of Christian symbolism - angels etc wouldn't be used. Not really into fairies, glitter, sparkle etc. Nor do I care for plastic things. I would use things like tiny electrical components - their uses are so wide and varied, and in these modern times they have their place. I believe that in former times each diviner used things of their time and place - there is no harm in our finding those things of our age that resonate. Obviously these more modern things will be different for each of us. Having said that, small plastic toys don't and won't resonate. Wheel nuts would, electrical connector strips (chocolate block) - so many different things.

Small iron things (yum). Also brass, copper, cogwheels, little gear wheels, stone, bone, teeth - sturdy things that will last awhile. I'm planning on really working with this oracle.

thorhammer

A week!?? :eek: Oh, geez, dunno how I'll do that :( but I'll do my damndest . . . Aulruna, you'll get the pick of what I have while I scrounge for the rest for everyone else as time goes by :)

Again, yes - I'd prefer not to have anything that smacks of Doreen Virtue. But I love tiny dinky quirky plastic things! Miniature things, the toys you get in Christmas crackers and cereal boxes, accessories for the myriad doll sets out there, antique cotton reels, thimbles, coins, old costume pendants/earrings.

I'd rather not have tumbled stones as I have so many (and don't use them). If you find a cool rock that says, "Kat!!" then I'll be happy to have it, but not necessary polished crystals.

Love anything with texture or history. I would like things that won't crumble or fall apart, though, I must say.

Is all that okay?

\m/ Kat

Wendywu

This is being great fun. I am ransacking our home for small, small tings and later in the week I shall see when I can fit a visit to the beach in.... I used to keep a big dollshouse - I have sooo many small things :) But not all of them are remotely suitable for an oracle.

I'll have to shift a bit to get it all sorted in a week :bugeyed:

I'm gonna pm the rest of the Lava Lamps with my home address and would ask that you all reply to me with yours please :)

I see it has been mooted in another group that we all send to everyone at the same time rather than all sending to one and then to the next. I kinda like that idea unless the postage charges would hit home for any of us...

Wendywu

Ok - this is the list of stuff that can't be sent to Australia according to the Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service (minus the bits about fresh meat and food perishables which I assume none of us thought of sending)

• seeds including vegetable and flower seeds, unidentified seeds, birdseed and some commercially-packaged seeds
• gifts, ornaments and toys filled with seeds
• pine cones
• raw nuts
• grains and legumes including lentils, popping corn and cereal grains
• raw/green coffee beans
• all plant material including bulbs, whole plants, cuttings, roots, flowers and stems
• soil, including small souvenir or sentimental samples
• gifts, ornaments and toys filled with straw, plant matter, sand or soil
• dried fruit and vegetables containing seeds or fruit peel, citrus and apple peel) and fruit pieces
• remedies and medicines containing herbs, seeds, bark, fungi and dried plant material*
• dried flower arrangements and potpourri
• dried herbs or leaves
• handicrafts—including wreaths and Christmas decorations—containing seeds, raw nuts, corn, pine cones, grapevines, bark, moss, straw or other plant material
• wooden items with bark or signs of insects present
• all mammals, birds, birds’ eggs and nests, fish, snakes, turtles, lizards, scorpions, amphibians, crustaceans and insects
• souvenirs, artefacts and goods made of animal products such as raw hide, feathers, teeth, bones, wool and animal hair

I'll find the list for Canada in a minute :) I'm posting this on the main thread too.

thorhammer

Does that mean I can't send you a steak to divine with, Wendy? Damn.

I still haven't sat down to do a reading and now I'm excited to go through my bag of goodies. Damn :D

\m/ Kat

Wendywu

I dunno about the steak coming into the UK but I know I can't send you one. I think you can post just about anything here - provided it doesn't leak or smell you're OK.....

Except I once watched a TV program and a woman was trying to bring a suitcaseful of cooked guinea pigs through customs and was very cross when they were confiscated. Oh yeah - you can't bring something called bushmeat in either. That apparently is usually chimpanzee meat.... (ewwww - be like eating your cousins! and guinea pigs!!!!! like eating my own babies; I loved my guineas so much)

thorhammer

Yeah, bushmeat is primate meat except for human. It has been suggested by noted experts in many related fields that bushmeat consumption might have been the source of the HIV virus.

I don't think you want bushmeat.

\m/ Kat

Aulruna

Ok, here is what I wrote on the mother thread:

Hmmm, I have no objections to anything right now. I can't really see myself read with pink hearts and cherubs, but on the other hand, I had battles with some Tarot cards too and grew from them ... so maybe some dissonant elements are part of the whole experience.

I love found objects, and the only thing I'm afraid of is that I will feel compelled to use them in my artwork instead of the divination kit

Love the idea of a theme ... mine could be "Expansion".

-------------

I will have trouble with the one week limit ... I live in the city and woork full-time, but to find things that meet Mi-Shell's and Wendy's requirements, I will need to drive out. Also, we are covered under 8 inches of fresh snow, so it's difficult to go foraging!!

The good thing is, the other ones are coming along splendidly :D I already have some items for thor and Satori I'm really happy with :D

Wendywu

I'm not sure I have a theme as such; I shall love working with the things that come and an odd mixture is fine. I don't want anyone going to masses of trouble Aulruna - so if you feel you have to send me a pink glittery plastic fairy I expect I'd find a way of working her in with the other things :D

I have found a boxful of things. It's embarrassing how much I found... I thought we had a huge purge not that long back and got rid of all the ..... um, I nearly said "crap". Not crap, not crap at all - just things that weren't being used to their full potential!! Truly.

I was reading the other Flotsam group threads (being a nosey so-and-so) and I see someone mentioned kangaroo claws ....... not that I lust or anything but wow!!!!

Oh yeah - I'm planning on writing a little note with details of each item I send, so you'll know its story. If you could do the same for me I'd be grateful but I know how short we all are of time so if you can't it's not a problem - I'm just so thrilled to have this unique oracle to explore and work with.

Hands up who doesn't want bones? Aside from Kat who can't have 'em anyway.....